PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Steering Hose Replacement

Big Time
05-20-2009, 12:11 PM
Question for you. One of my hoses on my boat (starboard side, from the hull to the hydraulic cylinder) has deteriorated to the point where the rubber has cracked and the stainless steel braiding underneath has rusted (must have happened when it was away in storage). Two questions:

1) Where can I get my hands on a replacement hose.
2) How hard is it to swap out? I imagine I will have to bleed the system...how easily is that done?

Ted
05-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Any place that does Parker hose can make it up for you, the ones here even have stainless crimp fittings for them (Colliflower Inc.). Usually if you just replace it and turn the wheel back and forth about 10 times it will self bleed, then top it off.

Big Time
05-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Any place that does Parker hose can make it up for you, the ones here even have stainless crimp fittings for them (Colliflower Inc.). Usually if you just replace it and turn the wheel back and forth about 10 times it will self bleed, then top it off.

Thanks. I need to go get the correct length today then hopefully order it tomorrow.

I bought the boat used and I'm not sure what he is using for fluid. He left a couple of automatic transmission fluid containers in the boat which leaves me to believe that is what is in there. I imagine you wouldn't want to mix.

When bleeding the brakes, should the cap on my fluid container be open or closed? Will I see bubbles coming up through there?

Gladhe8er
05-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Thanks. I need to go get the correct length today then hopefully order it tomorrow.

I bought the boat used and I'm not sure what he is using for fluid. He left a couple of automatic transmission fluid containers in the boat which leaves me to believe that is what is in there. I imagine you wouldn't want to mix.

When bleeding the brakes, should the cap on my fluid container be open or closed? Will I see bubbles coming up through there?

Just use Hydraulic fluid you can buy at West Marine(I think it is made by Seastar). I had to do this last year to pressurize my system. Turn the wheel all the way left and hold for 3 secs, then to the right and hold for 3 secs. Do this sequence 5 times and check the reservoir. It should be lower than when you started. Add fluid and repeat.

Yes, you will see bubbles come up. Obviously do this while the engine is running in the water. I did it both with the cap on and off...I dont think it matters unless the cap is off and all the fluid gets sucked into the system. If this happens, you will be sucking more air into the system.

Ted
05-20-2009, 02:09 PM

If the fluid that comes out is red they are using ATF
and if it is almost clear or light brown they are using the Seastar Hydraulic oil. I prefer the Seastar stuff.

Big Time
05-20-2009, 10:11 PM
If the fluid that comes out is red they are using ATF
and if it is almost clear or light brown they are using the Seastar Hydraulic oil. I prefer the Seastar stuff.

Yeah it is red...Latham recommends the ATF anyway. Latham quoted me at around $75 for the 18 inch hose, does that sound about right? I'm going to need it by this weekend so i don't think that I have time to have one made up.

Ted
05-20-2009, 10:43 PM
I had one and I stopped by with it, the guy took it from me, walked around two aisles, cut the hose, swedged both end fittings and I was out the door in 10 minutes. I think they charged me about 5 per fitting and 5 for the hose, 15 bucks.

PARADOX
05-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Big Time

I have about 20' -22' high preassure hose with all the fitting. The fittings are new and I can get the fittings put on in at lenght you want. Imco hose and fittings.

Big Time
05-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Big Time

I have about 20' -22' high preassure hose with all the fitting. The fittings are new and I can get the fittings put on in at lenght you want. Imco hose and fittings.

Thanks Paradox....I actually order one from Latham yesterday (before I saw this). Thanks for looking out. Should have the hose today and be out on the water by tomorrow!

OneBadInjun
06-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Full power sterndrive steering systems use Dextron ll or Dextron lll fluid. Just pull the old hose off and install the new one, no worries. You'll loose almost no fluid. Start it up on the hose & turn the wheel lock to lock only 2 or 3 times & it will fill itself & bleed itself. Don't hold the wheel hard over, as its hard on the power-steering pump, etc. You will need very little fluid to bring it to the mark. Better that you got the new hose assembly from Latham, not knowing as you did, due to the fact that they use JIC flare hose ends, while many others use SAE flare. For the record, for the future, Latham uses AeroQuip black steering hose, # 2651-6, with "reusable" hose ends, like you have.

showtime83
06-18-2009, 11:08 PM
I'm getting ready to do some steering lines, was wondering if anyone could tell me what PSI these systems are?? I've seen some setups with crimped fitting's, and I have also seen the ones that have "reusable" or as we call them at work, field fittings, I am thinking that if Latham uses them uses them, that they should be alright for me? Any advice?

PARADOX
06-19-2009, 09:09 AM
Both fittings are OK. Just make sure you in fact use "pressure" fittings on high pressure lines.