PDA

View Full Version : Standard rates for painting?

waterboy222
05-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Im considering a remodel on a boat but it needs new paint. The gelcoat is in bad shape and it looks like it was put on too thin or something because you can see through it in some areas. Id like to have the entire boat sprayed. Inside, outside, bilge, bottom, everything. One solid color. Its a 33' boat that has been completely de-rigged.
For a simple one color paint job, what could I expect in price? The stress cracks and windshield screw holes have been filled and prepped. It WILL have the rub rail on it still though.

Im sure Dave can put some insight in here. Also, what kind of range would it be to have the boat capped (removed rubrail and glassed smooth) like the adrenaline V30.

Just tryin to put together a cost on this (possibly) year long upcoming project.

Lakeside
05-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Usually a minimum of several grand to start. It is gonna depend on how much prep work, sanding & removal of items there is to do. It also is dependent on what type of paint you want to use. Sorry to be a little vague, but there are a lot of variables. The wanting it all one color though will help to keep the $ down a little.. If you want to discuss your potential needs a little further feel free to give me a shout.. :) Jamie / Lakeside 570-639-2628

waterboy222
05-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks Jamie, like I said though, short of the rub rail there wont be a single thing on the boat besides the rear tie downs... Im trying to figure out if Im looking at $5k or $12k or somewhere in between??

Chris
05-19-2009, 10:25 PM
I'd reconsider painting the bottom. Paint isn't a tough as it used to be and anything that would have an attractive finish isn't going to work in a full-immersion application. 20 years ago, when paint was full of all sorts of evil pollutants, you could get stuff like Amerflint and even the Imron of that period which would handle immersion. No more. I'd look at repairing the gel or re-gelling the bottom.

Capping the rail is a very time consuming process. To start, you have to be absolutely certain that it's bonded from the inside. If not, or if it's not sufficiently strong, you'll almost immediately get cracking. Then you're going to have to fill the lower side of the shoebox, then put enough material over it and feather it back far enough to get a solid structure at the joint. It looks cool, but it'll probably cost several thousand to have done. And it's unforgiving around the docks.

DonMan
05-19-2009, 11:18 PM
I just had my 24 foot boat painted solid white . I received quotes from $800 to $6000.

I ended up using a guy that is the cousin of a good friend. He primed entire boat with epoxy primer then PPG white base coat, the PPG clear.

He estimated 2-3 weeks.

$1750 for entire job. Boat was stripped.

I am picking it up tomorrow ( after 8 weeks ).

Shop around and make sure the shop knows how to paint a boat. You will find someone willing to tackle the job.

I`d guess $8000 or more .....

waterboy222
05-19-2009, 11:35 PM
I was assuming $8k for the job. I didnt really think about the paint being in the water. It sucks Im starting out with a yellow boat and going completely opposite direction with the color. Itd be so much easier if it was just a white boat. I cant even fathom what it would cost to have the bottom regelled white.

Chris
05-20-2009, 07:14 AM
Gel isn't that bad. Paint takes alot of pre-painting work to get it straight and gels work is more time-intensive afterwards. And compared to the price of a gallon of Imron, gel is inexpensive. Anything on the bottom is tough simply because it's on the bottom and that makes it tough to work on.

Knot 4 Me
05-20-2009, 11:33 AM
I'd reconsider painting the bottom. Paint isn't a tough as it used to be and anything that would have an attractive finish isn't going to work in a full-immersion application. 20 years ago, when paint was full of all sorts of evil pollutants, you could get stuff like Amerflint and even the Imron of that period which would handle immersion. No more. I'd look at repairing the gel or re-gelling the bottom.

Agree I would not paint the bottom. Gel coat only.

waterboy222
05-20-2009, 12:57 PM
So really our only option here to cover up the yellow hull is to regel the running/floating surface of the boat and paint the rest?

glassdave
05-20-2009, 01:30 PM
yes you are far better off to re gel the running surface. It can be painted but doesn't have the durability of gel. You could easily have 5-8K just in that, as said it is pretty labor intensive mostly because of how difficult it is to get at. As far as the rest of it you can be in the 10-15k range pending on complexity (dash, hatches, fairing, that kinda stuff).

capping the rail add another 5-8K easy

Amerflint . . . . havent heard that in a while. That chit probably knocked ten years off my life and i only used it a few times :D

hey . . . . what kinda boat is it?

waterboy222
05-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Got a quote today.. OUCH.. $6400 for bottom, $16,800 for cabin, deck, hullsides, cockpit, dash, floor..

Ratickle
05-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Got a quote today.. OUCH.. $6400 for bottom, $16,800 for cabin, deck, hullsides, cockpit, dash, floor..

I've seen complete 33 foot boats for sale for that.....ouch is right.....

waterboy222
05-20-2009, 04:43 PM
What was maaco's number again? lol.

Ratickle
05-20-2009, 04:46 PM

1-800-cra-pjob..........

waterboy222
05-20-2009, 04:49 PM
its probably worth it, hes done some really amazing work on a lot of boats you see here.. he just happened to be local and gave me a good rate..

Mitcher T
05-28-2009, 08:52 AM
On a 33' boat, for hullsides and deck, no lower hull, standard colors and minimal repair...you're looking in the 8-10K range. If you're looking at the color red, then add another $1000.

Boatcustoms.com
05-28-2009, 01:21 PM
We have just finished a 38 foot vee, repaired and refinished for $16,000.00 Im sure we could make it happen for $12,000.00 Cash!!

Thanks
Chris Mills
Extreme Body Works
517-712-3512

Geronimo36
05-28-2009, 04:34 PM

1-800-cra-pjob..........

I made that mistake on my trailer...never again.... I was trying to be cheap and didn't have the time to do it myself.

Not only did they miss underneath all the frame rails, it's 2 yrs later with a handful of water dunks its rusting again.