PDA

View Full Version : Anyone toast a Stainless Marine manifold?

Ted
05-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Okay so I lost a hose off one of my Stainless Marine manifolds. It overheated bad enough to bubble the paint, blue the stainless riser, and melt the exhaust hose. So is it done? Did I burn though the aluminum portion? Weaken it? Can I just pressure test it and run it if it doesn't leak? Any experiences with this? Thanks.

Tony
05-20-2009, 07:09 AM
Id give them a call, ask for Brownie.

cigdaze
05-20-2009, 08:11 AM
I bought a couple risers a few weeks ago, I was told Brownie is no longer with S.M.

Chris
05-20-2009, 08:25 AM
Yes, Brownie has moved on.

You should be able to look in through the openings at the head-manifold flange and see if there's damage. The bottom end of the exhaust runner isn't jacketed anyway so they're pretty thick. If you have damage, it'll be right at the face where the exhaust stream hits and is directed upwards.

Ted
05-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Thanks guys, I rigged up a pressure test device I am going to try tonight and I have a new one on the way, but I would prefer to not miss this weekend if possible.

Offshoredrillin
05-20-2009, 08:55 AM
Sorry to hear that Ted, whats happening this weekend? I may have to bum a ride from ya, still getting things ready for the Tiger.

Geronimo36
05-20-2009, 10:31 AM
The good news is if that was a stainless steel header it would probably be junk. If it didn't get hot enough to melt the aluminim I would pressure test it and run it but then pull the riser off and look down inside the manifold to make sure there's no water..

Also, pressure check the tailpipe while you're at it.

Ted
05-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Sorry to hear that Ted, whats happening this weekend? I may have to bum a ride from ya, still getting things ready for the Tiger.

Lot's going on, Tighlman on Saturday, Bikini contest at Vera's Sunday, choices, choices......

The good news is if that was a stainless steel header it would probably be junk. If it didn't get hot enough to melt the aluminim I would pressure test it and run it but then pull the riser off and look down inside the manifold to make sure there's no water..

Also, pressure check the tailpipe while you're at it.

Thanks, I think the tail will be okay, it didn't get hot enough to completely melt the hose at the end, but I will check it as best possible, wish I could polish out the "bronzing" :(

ar15meister
05-20-2009, 10:53 AM
I had a similar issue and it held up fine.

as or the bronzing, I feel your pain bro.

OldSchool
05-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Lot's going on, Tighlman on Saturday, Bikini contest at Vera's Sunday, choices, choices......

:(

Don't forget the Pax River Airshow going on Saturday and Sunday!!

I'm planning on waiting before making up my flightplan for the weekend. There hasn't been 1 day this week that the forecast has not changed..... Phucking weatherman/Holiday weekend conspiracy again!! :rolleyes: :cheers2:

PARADOX
06-03-2009, 07:39 AM

Thanks, I think the tail will be okay, it didn't get hot enough to completely melt the hose at the end, but I will check it as best possible, wish I could polish out the "bronzing" :(

Use 1 part muriatic accid(sp?) to 10 part of water and a very, very fine, steel or brass wool. Most of the bronzing should come off.

Ted
06-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Use 1 part muriatic accid(sp?) to 10 part of water and a very, very fine, steel or brass wool. Most of the bronzing should come off.

Thanks, I got it pretty good with Meguires Metal polish.

BTW for anyone that finds this at a later date- when I pressure tested the manifold it was useless. The welds had given up in several places and it leaked sevrely. So if you do overheat one, make sure it is thoroughly pressure checked.