PDA

View Full Version : Max Machine works Drive parts

Quinlan
05-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Anybody tried there gimbal rings or other drive things? Talked to them about a Gimbal and the prices dont seem to off compared to what Merc wants.
And the stainless steel looks pretty cool to.
Any thoughts?

Quinlan

smittyseng
05-13-2009, 01:23 AM
Here's the story: Hill marine had a bunch of stainless steel gimbal rings built,they were selling them for about 600$. They were all fukked up with various fitment issues,crappy bushings etc. I personally bought one and it needed so much modification to just fit and work that I resold it with full disclosure of it's flaws. The guys at MaxMachine works got ahold of some of them and re-machined everything as neccesary to where it's supposed to actually fit without modification,of course they upcharge for this. If I was redoing my gimbal again I would probably buy one as stainless would be very strong and this particular one still lets you use trim switches wheras the merc racing hd version will only work with trim indicator cables,Smitty

Quinlan
05-13-2009, 04:13 PM
That sounds about right. They said another batch was coming soon and this time he hopes to not have to WORK over as much.
Thanks

Quinlan

rotax454
05-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Just received my pair from Max. I will let you know how they fit. They sure do look great. Hint: Change out the helmut with the IMCO Bravo unit replacement.

smittyseng
05-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Just received my pair from Max. I will let you know how they fit. They sure do look great. Hint: Change out the helmut with the IMCO Bravo unit replacement.

Does the Imco bravo replacement helmet have threaded holes or smooth holes for the hinge pins? I know all that was available a few years ago was the smooth ones which only worked with the hp style gimbal which in turn requires mechanical trim indicator's and such vs electronic senders w/ small gauge,Smitty

MERPerformance
05-17-2009, 05:55 PM
You can use a electric sender on an hp style helmet it's the same set-up as used on the I.T.S, complete about $221.00 vs cables indicator and installation. Pretty sure the bores are smooth. call them up and ask them, if it had theaded bores it wouldn't hold up!

rotax454
07-24-2009, 12:32 AM
Update: First, the IMCO gimbal helmet will ONLY fit the IMCO gimbal ring.

Next. Both the Merc HP and the IMCO helmets have the smooth pivot bores.

Next. Yes, MER is correct. If using the Merc HP helmet, all of the parts needed to use the electric sender is listed on the ITS transom sheet. My Dyno guy has them on his new Skater. Sweet transom mounts.

Last. Guys at Max Worx have a SS helmet. As soon as I get some info, I will pass it on. Trying to decide which to use. The Merc HP or the Max SS version. Early price given to me puts the Max helmet at just under double the cost vs. the Merc HP helmet ($590.00).

smittyseng
07-24-2009, 04:23 AM
good info,keep us updated,thanks,Smitty

rotax454
07-24-2009, 11:58 AM
The trim sender assembly used on the Merc HP helmet consists of several part numbers. See the parts sheet for the Bell Housing (Intergrated and Hi-Performance Transom). Good to note that this sender can be used for either a digital (smartcraft) or analog (std. electric) devices. For those looking to do a complete Merc HP gimbal helmet and sender conversion, cost to do that thru www.mercruiserparts.com is about $ 800.00 (one drive).
The Max Worx SS gimbal ring would add about $1100.00 to that. The Merc transom service kit is about $250.00 (bearing, bellow, O rings, etc).
A complete upgraded Merc Bravo Transom Assembly (less any service requirements for the trim cylinders and labor) is going to be---$ 2200.00

Darn good investment in a solid foundation for your performance outdrive.

rotax454
07-25-2009, 09:54 AM
With the Max Worx SS gimbal helmet going for 1100.00, I have made my choice. Going with the Merc HP helmet. I really don't have the level of power necessary to require that type of investment in the helmet area.

Pics when I get them finished with the color change. :sifone:

Quinlan
07-27-2009, 06:28 PM
I just ordered two complete HP transom assembly from NUWAVE marine in NJ for $2k each. Will be here Tuesday. Seem like good guys sent out the day after I ordered.

Quinlan

Geronimo36
07-31-2009, 05:23 PM
Quinlan, a buddy of mine got his 357 Magnum/Bravo III package from them as well, decent price.

They also offered to lend me a transom jig if I paid shipping... Seem like ok guys to me.