PDA

View Full Version : General trailer maintenance

Expensive Date
05-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Going over my trailer now that my boat is on the lift.Plan on doing more poker runs this year so it will be getting more use.I am pulling the rotors checking brakes and repacking or replacing bearings and seals checking all bolts and lights any thing else that needs to be done

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Good move. Its no fun fixing it on the side of the road.

Expensive Date
05-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Pulled a rotor tonight....When water comes out thats a bad sign going to get (4) bearing kits tomorrow

Sydwayz
05-09-2009, 01:08 AM
Tim, take a look at this thread and try to talk to Mark before you buy bearings, unless you can find Timken or another American manufactured bearing locally.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/207420-thank-you-mark-terry-aka-dock-holiday.html

MacGyver
05-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Check the winch strap, I had one let go. Thank God for the safety chain.

MarylandMark
05-09-2009, 09:52 AM

+10000000000

Mine broke about 4 weeks ago at 60MPH. I always use extra straps and in this case it saved my boat. I had a cable and was taking my boat in for routine service and to get my trailer checked out and the cable swapped out for a strap. Ironic.

MacGyver
05-09-2009, 10:03 AM
+10000000000

Mine broke about 4 weeks ago at 60MPH. I always use extra straps and in this case it saved my boat. I had a cable and was taking my boat in for routine service and to get my trailer checked out and the cable swapped out for a strap. Ironic.

Mine let go as I was pulling my boat out of the water. The only connection to the trailer at that moment is the winch strap and the safety chain. The strap snapped about four inches back from the hook. The boat slid back about six inches until the slack in the safety chain was taken up. Scared the chit outta me when my truck shuttered as the chain stopped the boat from landing on the ramp.

Expensive Date
05-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Tim, take a look at this thread and try to talk to Mark before you buy bearings, unless you can find Timken or another American manufactured bearing locally.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/207420-thank-you-mark-terry-aka-dock-holiday.html

There is a Load right dealer about 15 miles from me went up there this morning and got the factory ones.I really only use my trailer a few times a year because I have a lift so its been a few years since they were done.I have to start doing it every year

Expensive Date
05-09-2009, 04:08 PM

Good point! I always use a ratcheting tie down from the bow hook to the trailer and two straps on the back also.

MarylandMark
05-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Here's mine- off a 2007 trailer

Bote Loco
05-09-2009, 09:48 PM
I heard this week that brake fluid collects moisture. And this can cause loss of effectiveness when braking. Was talking about trucks, but I wondered about trailer.
Is it a good idea to change brake fluid occasionaly?

Chris
05-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Absolutely. It will collect moisture and rot your hardware from the inside. It's not terribly common, but I've seen it.

My favorite thing to worry about on a trailer is the hitch latch. I don't care for the lever style. The screw type are commonly found on commercial light-duty trailers- I've never seen one back off. I've seen the lever style pop up- even when cross-bolted. They'll wear over the years and not securely engage. I changed the Apache to a pintle. Over 10K on a ball just doesn't work for me. Again, look at what the pro's use.

Expensive Date
05-09-2009, 10:14 PM
I heard this week that brake fluid collects moisture. And this can cause loss of effectiveness when braking. Was talking about trucks, but I wondered about trailer.
Is it a good idea to change brake fluid occasionaly?

How do you bleed the brakes on a surge system?

Chris
05-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Vacuum bleeder tool.

Expensive Date
05-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Thanks, I have one of them or two:)

Chris
05-09-2009, 11:04 PM
You'll still want to cycle it a couple times. Backing up an incline with a block behind the trailer tires works great.

baywatch
05-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Absolutely. It will collect moisture and rot your hardware from the inside. It's not terribly common, but I've seen it.

My favorite thing to worry about on a trailer is the hitch latch. I don't care for the lever style. The screw type are commonly found on commercial light-duty trailers- I've never seen one back off. I've seen the lever style pop up- even when cross-bolted. They'll wear over the years and not securely engage. I changed the Apache to a pintle. Over 10K on a ball just doesn't work for me. Again, look at what the pro's use.

Not sure if this is a good technique or not but before embarking on my journey I always crank the trailer jack up once attached until it lifts the rear end of the pickup a tad. I figure it is a good way to make sure that it isn't popping off of the ball.

Sydwayz
05-10-2009, 12:00 AM
I always pay close attention to my coupler as well.

AND I have one of these made special for my drawbar:

http://www.trailerguardian.com/

MacGyver
05-10-2009, 01:18 AM
How do you bleed the brakes on a surge system?
I was able to cycle the actuator by hand.

Bote Loco
05-12-2009, 10:34 PM
On an RV website, folks were discussing benefit of adding shocks to trailers. They said units towed smoothier as did not bounce around so much. Monroe has mounting kits also.
Maybe tri-axle boat trailers smooth out bumps better than dual axles?

http://www.monroeheavyduty.com/products/trailer_retrofit_kits.asp

MacGyver
05-13-2009, 07:11 PM
On an RV website, folks were discussing benefit of adding shocks to trailers. They said units towed smoothier as did not bounce around so much. Monroe has mounting kits also.
Maybe tri-axle boat trailers smooth out bumps better than dual axles?

http://www.monroeheavyduty.com/products/trailer_retrofit_kits.asp

That makes sence. Shocks give a smoother ride to trucks/cars. Why not your trailer.

Dude! Sweet!
05-14-2009, 12:02 AM
Always wondered why trailers don't have shocks... Speaking of trailer maintenance, I just spent the last 3 hours on the phone with AAA, Boat US and about 5 garages somewhere out in the middle of the high desert trying to get a wheel bearing replaced. Could be worse I guess, I was doing the calls from home. My best bud was the one loading the boat on a low boy and having it hauled 50 miles out of the way so it can get fixed tomorrow... :(

Knot 4 Me
05-14-2009, 10:33 AM
How do you bleed the brakes on a surge system?You can also remove the emergency cable lockout bracket and then use that lever to "pump" the brakes to bleed them. Biggest thing to watch is that the master cylinder doesn't get too low and introduce air into the system. They have such a small capacity that it is easy to let the level get too low.