PDA

View Full Version : Mistress Speeds

Xtreme Air
05-03-2009, 08:16 PM
I have a 1984 mistress 540's 600 plus horsepower. Just had valves and springs replaced. I am running Konrad drives and a 24 pitch bravo 1 4 blade. What speeds should i see and what kind of rpms should I be running. Engine builder said peek horsepower was between 5000 and 5600rpms. Rev limiter is set at 5800 rpms. Just curious on weather i need to downsize the prop to a 22 inch 4 blade. Boat topped out at 4950 yesterday with tabs set and drives slightly trimmed out.
Thanks for your input.

Seafordguy
05-04-2009, 09:06 AM
I have a 1984 mistress 540's 600 plus horsepower. Just had valves and springs replaced. I am running Konrad drives and a 24 pitch bravo 1 4 blade. What speeds should i see and what kind of rpms should I be running. Engine builder said peek horsepower was between 5000 and 5600rpms. Rev limiter is set at 5800 rpms. Just curious on weather i need to downsize the prop to a 22 inch 4 blade. Boat topped out at 4950 yesterday with tabs set and drives slightly trimmed out.
Thanks for your input.

Maybe it is too early on a Monday for me but something sounds funny.

I am not sure how much heavier a Mistress is than a Cafe, but I can't imagine much.

I put out a little under 600 (570-580 I am guessing, on 502's) and I run 26-4 Bravo's and they spin past 5100.

I know there is some parasitic power loss through the tranny/konrad that isn't present on the bravo's but I can't imagine it is that much???

Tony
05-04-2009, 10:24 AM
When you mean "tabs set" were they neutral, neg, or pos trim? Is this your first offshore boat? I'm by no means trying to insult you with theese questions but there have been several instances in the past where new boat owners didnt understand how to correctly trim and as a result were experiencing similar problems as what you are describing.

Chris
05-04-2009, 12:07 PM
to get 600 HP out of a 540, you're going to need some pretty substantial componentry. Aluminum heads and a good high-flow exhaust and a fairly decent amount of cam.

I have a friend that bought a 35 Cig with 522's with roller cams and dominators. He couldn't understand why he was barely breaking 50 mph. I looked at it- Imco log manifolds and the cam had 114 LSA and not much duration. It was cammed down to stay away from reversion but that killed all the power potential of 522 cid.

Ratickle
05-04-2009, 01:05 PM
You're in New Jersey. There are some members up there with a lot of experience in Cigs. You should arrange to meet with them and see what's going on. (Stecz, well......:)).

Did you get your speed at that RPM with any accuracy? That will also help to determine what's going on.

Xtreme Air
05-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Thanks for your input. I have had the boat for three years and had the motors built form scratch. they just went in for new valve train. Water reversion got the best of them after three years. No other damage was done . Valve and springs Guides ect. all replaced. New roller rockers and cam to replace the solid cam engine builder thought had marks on it.When I first got the engines 3 years ago top speed was 73gps @5400 rpms I did just run the boat for the first time with tabs set down about 3-4 on indicators and drive only set at 3 on indicator. I did not have a lot of time to play with it because of rain. Just thought i would have seen a little more at that position. I will need to play with the boat a little more. Just wondering what other boats of similar size and weight were seeing or if I was over propped.

Toasty
05-04-2009, 10:57 PM
do anything you can not to get walked on by a 30 sutphen with small blocks, christ was that 4 times in one afternoon?!?!...i wish i had that on video...

you mean all those talker / craker jack friends of yours and they cant tell you set up?!?!...some friends. i hear your still yapping about at your "motor builders shop"...4900rpm please...

this joker xtreme air aka dean hoskin is a real pearl a talker from jersey who i spanked on, now looking for tricks. let him hunt for his own tricks

i will see you out in the ocean and I will put your mouth to rest, leave the puss home b/c its going to be a romp you dont want your friends to see & only come out when its rough. thats when i do my work in 4-6 atlantic city waters chippin throttles offshore style.

heres the joker. and he has the balls to cut and paste from oso have some respect...

Xtreme Air
05-05-2009, 07:32 AM
Hey Toasty aka Chris.. I need some positive input not some trash talk from you. Yes it was 4 times but that was when engines were still being broke in at 3500rpms. If you have nothing positve to say then just walk away... Seems you were the one I trusted when i bought the boat. Should have told me it had bad engines in when you sold it. I talked to a previous owner who knows the real story. If you have nothing constructive to add then just leave it lie.....

Chris
05-05-2009, 07:49 AM
While these concepts are things that would seem to be second nature to polite society, it seems that at times they need to be reiterated here.

Forum Rules

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be polite, be respectful. Treat fellow board members as you would friends, acquaintances or co-workers and as if you’re in their presence.

Think before you post. Do you know this person well enough that your intent will be understood? Do you know them well enough to make a joke, join in on someone else’s joke or take a shot at them? Remember, it’s not what you think, it’s how the recipient will take it.

If you’re new... Welcome to the group! But remember, this is a very close community. Many of the members of this board are also personal friends and acquaintances of each other- in some cases for many years. Please take your time and ease into these circles with positive participation. Just like you don’t walk into a bar for the first time and immediately join a circle of old friends, don’t expect that to happen here.

If you choose to disagree with someone in a thread, please do it with fact. And tact.

Now, let's get back to helping this guy with his boat.

Toasty
05-05-2009, 07:51 AM
3500 rpms what a joke. you where chasing that tug with everything she had. but that was in the past...actully when i sold it the boat ran 75...then you did motors, then you did motors again, then you did motors again...
Dont worry about engines...when i got my boat i was same as you, clueless. but i figured it out set up is key i got a 60 mph boat to do waaaaaaay more just within the details without rebuilding and i was going past 75+ mph boats...go back over to oso and read hannibal41 he knows. noone in south nj knows set up ,your all ****ing in the wind.
you ****ed off the only person who could have helped you. Did the previous owner tell you he left the drain plug out for the test ride??? he called me a year later and told me joe S was his name. it was the same day you took the picture and now its your avatar on oso...yup, no plug, guy was a real hot mess!

here are some suggestions for you to go faster:
different props try countless sizes, you have fresh power so you need to try many set ups
spinning in vs spinning out may have to swap drives on boat not sure about just reversing konrads
drive height x dem.

Sean Stinson
05-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks for your input.

What part of Jersey are you in?????

Xtreme Air
05-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Hey Sean, I am from the Somers point area. Just trying to get a good set up on the boat. I was going to spin the props in vs out but heard that the handling issues are a pain. I need to take the boat out with the fresh power, tabs up and drives trimmed out to really get a feel of what the boat can do. I was just curious the first time out this year at where I was at and where I should be. I guess there is really no easy solution except to keep trying different set ups.

Thanks

Xtreme Air
05-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Toasty, Did that boat really see 75mph??? I can't believe the engines in that boat did better then the ones that were built. Are we talking Gps or speedo?? If that boat did 75 with trs's and sleeved cylinders in the engine then that set up was incredible. Thanks for letting me know the plug was left out..

Toasty
05-05-2009, 10:07 AM
slappy, indeed. The boat did go 75 gps / speedo...livorsi cooks them both so...i didnt have my garmin with me at the time to check...god luck on your set up it will take time... ... . . get people you can trust, not jokers. you can trust OSP (offshore performance)... . ... ... . . .

Seafordguy
05-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Yeah - give it another run with the tabs pulled and the drives up. Another point to make is from my EXTREMELY limited experience I know that my boat truly runs about 5 mph faster in 3's than in calm waters...

Frank A
05-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Your boat needs lots of positive trim,get that bow up. I agree with Seafordguy 3 footers will get some much needed air under that hull. Oh and by the way Toasty I wouldn't mind a shot at running a 30ft Sutphen in "6 foot atlantic seas".

CRT
05-08-2009, 12:57 PM
You do need (non Sticky water) to make the mistress go. 4 blades are better for the Mistress. I had mirage 3 blades when I had TRS. Then when I installed my Konrads I went with Bravo 1 4 blades.

Throttle Up said they could lab them to carry more of the bow, but I never did it before I sold the boat.

They have a prop borrowing program, its worth it!

Xtreme Air
05-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I will get another shot at taking the boat out in about a week. I will keep tabs up and give it a lot of positive trim. Hopefully I will find some non sticky water to run in. Thanks again for all your helpful replies.

Xtreme Air
05-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Well, finally got out on the boat again after two weeks up north. Took everyones advice about really trimming the drives. I started out at 4200rpm's and took the boat up past 5600rpm's with a gps speed of 74mph with still more left to go. Water was flat because I had to run inside due to heavy fog on the ocean. I am sure I could have run over 76mph in the right conditions (non-stickey water). Once again I would like to Thank all of you who posted your advice.

Frank A
05-19-2009, 07:34 AM
Well, finally got out on the boat again after two weeks up north. Took everyones advice about really trimming the drives. I started out at 4200rpm's and took the boat up past 5600rpm's with a gps speed of 74mph with still more left to go. Water was flat because I had to run inside due to heavy fog on the ocean. I am sure I could have run over 76mph in the right conditions (non-stickey water). Once again I would like to Thank all of you who posted your advice.

Sounds good now look for that guy in the Sutphen that works magic chirpin something somwhere or what ever he said and take a picture of him from the stern of your boat!

Xtreme Air
05-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Hey Frank A I will be sure to do that. Thanks for your imput on using a lot of positive trim. Have a Great boating season..

TomZ
05-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Sounds good now look for that guy in the Sutphen that works magic chirpin something somwhere or what ever he said and take a picture of him from the stern of your boat!

x2!!

Toasty
05-19-2009, 11:48 PM
I hear ritz has a special on cameras get one with a good sport mode...
hahaha you guys arent even in the same league... not even close...your going to need more power to run with the big boys...bunch of yappers. Yeah, get your camera ready!

76mph...haha not even close...hahaha lmaorotf hahahaha.....haahahahaha. go back to bobby or paul or sean, or whoever you go to! and i was trying to be polite about you not having a clue about setting up your own boat.

we will see. Lets put some ching ching $$ on it? lets put 5k from longport to AC lets go talkers
in honest 4+ seas you have my email address if you want to roll. bring your camera boy, frank with you.
70+ haha what a joke

Hollowpoint
05-20-2009, 08:20 PM
Who the hell is Toasty? Certainly didn't learn very good manners.

There will ALWAYS be someone that can take your money if you foolishly throw it out there on a challenge. Try to show some restraint.

Frank A
05-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Toasty I doubt you have the $4,000 first of all otherwise you would be tooling something bigger then then those 2 350in egg beaters. Bring your boat to CT or RI. We can run in some big water off Block island. Do they even make Sutphens any more? If that boat runs as fast as you type we will all be impressed. Lets see a pic of this offshore racer.

Xtreme Air
05-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Frank A. Once again a Big Thanks for ALL your input!! Do you ever get to Jersey? If so you'll have to look me up.. Happy boating

Toasty
05-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Toasty I doubt you have the $4,000 first of all otherwise you would be tooling something bigger then then those 2 350in egg beaters. Bring your boat to CT or RI. We can run in some big water off Block island. Do they even make Sutphens any more? If that boat runs as fast as you type we will all be impressed. Lets see a pic of this offshore racer.

your a mess do your reseach slappy. i really dont go out of my way to play with tug boats and the bald fluffer on here. there is really no work involved... dont know what 350in egg beaters are???!?! you guys are clueless. when i go past you, you will know. and if you look closely you will see its 5k not 4k but you are what you are...simple. Thats right keep thanking the clueless fluffer! i am out of this mess handle it yourself...

whats restraint? is that like throttling back, yeah no i dont do that...its prob what cig owners do but apache and sutphen owners - no.
later slowskies...
CDC

Frank A
05-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Toasty I am sure you are familar with this end of many cigarettes.....but I thought I would give you up close look at it.

Chris
05-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Toasty-

You've been warned once discreetly and privately. This is your second one- this time public. And it's in the same thread no less.

We don't do this sort of stuff on this board. You can disagree and debate all you want, but if you're going to do it here, you're going to have to do it in a polite and civil fashion. Name calling, taunts and such don't cut it.

Frank A
05-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Frank A. Once again a Big Thanks for ALL your input!! Do you ever get to Jersey? If so you'll have to look me up.. Happy boating
No problem! Now you can Brett at BBlades lab up a set of props for you to gain a couple more mph.

Ps. love the boat it is timeless

Toasty
05-23-2009, 03:58 AM
thanks for the message. also received messages stating my comments have increased viewers...Truth hurts i guess...also argue statement of factual evidedance. BYE or and Tommy would type...LATER

C

OldSchool
05-23-2009, 08:29 AM
Toasty-

You've been warned once discreetly and privately. This is your second one- this time public. And it's in the same thread no less.

We don't do this sort of stuff on this board. You can disagree and debate all you want, but if you're going to do it here, you're going to have to do it in a polite and civil fashion. Name calling, taunts and such don't cut it.

thanks for the message. also received messages stating my comments have increased viewers...Truth hurts i guess...also argue statement of factual evidedance. BYE or and Tommy would type...LATER

C

Obviously, you don't take friendly advice (from Chris and myself) very well. We both asked nicely for you to stop. You think that your posts make this place better? I've decided to give you thirty days to think about it. I hope that this website can survive without you!

Later! :seeya:

Craig

Airpacker
05-23-2009, 11:27 AM
I've decided to give you thirty days to think about it. I hope that this website can survive without you!

Craig
Thank you. If I want to read that particular type of ignorance, there are a couple of million OTHER forums I am certain I can do that on.

NJgr8ful
05-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Obviously, you don't take friendly advice (from Chris and myself) very well. We both asked nicely for you to stop. You think that your posts make this place better? I've decided to give you thirty days to think about it. I hope that this website can survive without you!

Craig
Thanks Craig for saving us all from the ignorant dribble that spews from that kids mouth. The dude is a clueless :troll: :troll: :troll:

Xtreme Air
05-24-2009, 08:05 AM
Frank, Thanks for the comments on the boat. I love the OLD SCHOOL look. It has really been a Great boat so far. Nt the fastest but she'll go through any type of water. Are you running B Blades? If so how do you like them. A fiend of mine is looking into a set for his boat. Thanks again for your comments.

Frank A
05-24-2009, 10:30 AM
I had Brett lab up a set for me based on my boats numbers and can not believe that after selling my old props I can't believe I could gain 3 mph. for around $1000. Big diff. in cruising speed to.

Smarty
05-24-2009, 11:04 AM
I hear ritz has a special on cameras get one with a good sport mode...
hahaha you guys arent even in the same league... not even close...your going to need more power to run with the big boys...bunch of yappers. Yeah, get your camera ready!

76mph...haha not even close...hahaha lmaorotf hahahaha.....haahahahaha. go back to bobby or paul or sean, or whoever you go to! and i was trying to be polite about you not having a clue about setting up your own boat.

we will see. Lets put some ching ching $$ on it? lets put 5k from longport to AC lets go talkers
in honest 4+ seas you have my email address if you want to roll. bring your camera boy, frank with you.
70+ haha what a joke

The Longport to AC drag race, that is right out of Frank Kerbeck's (41' Apache- "the Island Runner) playbook. Not sure why all the fuss over how fast a 35' Cigarette with TRS drives is, but I do like and have experienced the drag race Toasty is talking about ( I have never raced Toasty).

I'd like to see that race. It is still the Atlantic Ocean, might be rough, might be smooth. Money or no money, that is what Sunday afternoon's used to be about, boating off Atlantic City, five mile plus drag race, to me they are the "good old days."

There are two 35' Cigarettes I have always liked. "Wild Turkey" and "Spirit."
Good luck with your getting your boat dialed in. I do believe the Sutphen would absolutley smoke you, regardless how rough it is, while not importantm, that is just my $.02

I hope I did not offend anyone with my opinion.

Stephen

fund razor
05-24-2009, 12:14 PM
The Longport to AC drag race, that is right out of Frank Kerbeck's (41' Apache- "the Island Runner) playbook....I do like and have experienced the drag race Toasty is talking about.

I'd like to see that race. It still the Atlantic Ocean, might be rough, might be smooth. Money or no money, that what Sunday afternoon's used to be boating off Atlantci City, to me they "good old days."

Nobody on the road,
nobody on the beach.
I feel it in the air,
the summers out of reach

Empty lake, empty streets,
the boat goes out alone.
I'm driving by your boatlift
though i know that you're not home...

And i can see you
your gold chains shining in the sun
you got your hair combed back
sunglasses on baby

and i can tell you
my love for AC will still be strong
after the offshores of summer have gone.

out on the road today
i saw a Cigarette sticker on a cadillac
a voice inside my head said don't look back
you can never look back

i thought i knew what fun was
what did i know
those days are gone for ever
i should just let them go and...

i can see you
you know your walking real slow
snarling at everyone

i can tell you

I never will forget those nights
i wonder if it was a dream
remember how you drove that mistress?
remember how the big blocks screamed?

now i don't understand what happed to our sport
now baby gonna get it back
gonna show what my Apache's made of...

i can see you
you got your anchor shade up,
radio on baby

and i can tell you

Hannibal41
05-24-2009, 12:24 PM
i just read this entire post. I know christian well. He is a great person and even better friend. However at times can be a bit cocky, but hes smart and will give you the shirt of his back if your a good person. i know of a time when someone that was close to chris crossing him and that was the end. I am not positive but i bet that is the case here, and he just used this forum to punish those that crossed him.

I spoke with him 1st a few years ago about the set up of my boat as i heard he re-rigged his own boat and did some set up on others. we made 10mph just in the little things he suggested and he wouldnt take a dime, not even lunch.

no doubt his sutphen will run, i have been in it at way over 80+ very close to 90 not sure why there is even a bet. He could certainly do a bigger boat and was talking about a bad boy canopy 38 with 1075s and 6s but he liked the simplicity of the older race boat.

take the 30 days and simmer chris your ok in my book

Hannibal

Bobcat
05-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Nobody on the road,
nobody on the beach.
I feel it in the air,
the summers out of reach

the boat goes out alone.

And i can see you
sunglasses on baby

and i can tell you

out on the road today
you can never look back

what did i know

i can see you
snarling at everyone

i can tell you

i can see you
radio on baby

and i can tell you

you forgot wayfarers man !!!:sifone:

Smarty
05-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Nobody on the road,
nobody on the beach.
I feel it in the air,
the summers out of reach

the boat goes out alone.

And i can see you
sunglasses on baby

and i can tell you

out on the road today
you can never look back

what did i know

i can see you
snarling at everyone

i can tell you

i can see you
radio on baby

and i can tell you

I like it...

Smarty
05-24-2009, 01:07 PM
i just read this entire post. I know christian well. He is a great person and even better friend. However at times can be a bit cocky, but hes smart and will give you the shirt of his back if your a good person. i know of a time when someone that was close to chris crossing him and that was the end. I am not positive but i bet that is the case here, and he just used this forum to punish those that crossed him.

I spoke with him 1st a few years ago about the set up of my boat as i heard he re-rigged his own boat and did some set up on others. we made 10mph just in the little things he suggested and he wouldnt take a dime, not even lunch.

no doubt his sutphen will run, i have been in it at way over 80+ very close to 90 not sure why there is even a bet. He could certainly do a bigger boat and was talking about a bad boy canopy 38 with 1075s and 6s but he liked the simplicity of the older race boat.

take the 30 days and simmer chris your ok in my book

Hannibal

Christian, aka Toasty, is guinely a nice guy --- and he was very, very suportive when my father passed-away last July. Christian ia A-OK with me too. And yes he is smart and a go-getter, I recommended him for acceptance to law school.

I do agree that name calling should be done face to face, not on a forum on the internet. 30 days in the hole. See ya soon Christian.

Stephen R. Jones
Attorney-At-Law

fund razor
05-24-2009, 01:33 PM
you forgot wayfarers man !!!:sifone:

The lawyers said I had to use "sunglasses."

Sunkin has "wayfarers" tied up in his Miami Vice rights. He thinks of everything.

fund razor
05-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Sorry to hijack and best of luck with the Mistress!

Bobcat
05-24-2009, 02:11 PM
:sifone: I forgot !

Seafordguy
05-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Don't know if it helps in your quest at all, but I ran my 24's today instead of my 26's on my Cafe, and felt like they blew out much worse while getting on plane, and obviously weren't as fast at given engine speeds once on plane.

Not sure it helps, but just thought I'd throw the commentary out there that I wasn't happy with that set....

Xtreme Air
05-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks Seafordguy, I have been running the boat with the 24's bravo 1 four blades with success and am waiting to try a set of 26's bravo 1 four blades. Did you loose any top end with the 26's? If all else fails I may see about going with Labbed BBlades... There were some good positive responses about them on this thread. Thanks again for all the help offered..

Seafordguy
05-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks Seafordguy, I have been running the boat with the 24's bravo 1 four blades with success and am waiting to try a set of 26's bravo 1 four blades. Did you loose any top end with the 26's? If all else fails I may see about going with Labbed BBlades... There were some good positive responses about them on this thread. Thanks again for all the help offered..

I "THINK" I run about 575 hp or so, and my Bravo 26's really seem to be the right prop. They will spin right north of 5100 and allow me to run in the lower to lowmid 70's in some chop.

Xtreme Air
05-26-2009, 01:26 PM
I "THINK" I run about 575 hp or so, and my Bravo 26's really seem to be the right prop. They will spin right north of 5100 and allow me to run in the lower to lowmid 70's in some chop.

Right now I am spinning the 24's @ 5600rpm's and running close to mid 70's I will have to try the 26's.