PDA

View Full Version : Drive shower recommendation

Expensive Date
05-02-2009, 07:51 PM
For a bravo 1 my drive lube was a little dark this change so I am getting some heat.Planning on doing more poker runs this year so want to put showers on.What is better the cap style or the tubs that only spray on the sides.Boat has stock 6.2s (377) so its not wild power.what does every one have Thanks

MacGyver
05-02-2009, 08:17 PM
I installed Simrek Halo shower last year. No more white chalky sides on the drive, so the heat is being removed.

http://www.driveshowers.com/

fund razor
05-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Great subject Tim, a lot of us have Bravos, and I am looking too.

I like those Simteks Mac, I buy into the design and location of the jets.

But in my case, I am not sure if they would get hung up in my hyrdaulic steering. If memory serves, Tim has like a 38 Formula. So he probably has external steering too?
Then there are the mechanical drive trim indicators.

I wonder if I would be forced to use the single tube style, and go outside?

Do you have as much stuff in the way Tim? Or could you go with that Simtek Bravo style?

Here is my transom. Not to hijack, but since many of us are probably shopping Bravo showers:

Scarab KV
05-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Great subject. Who's got'm on TRS's and what make? Seems all the manufacturers have forgotten some of us still run them or will the showers for Bravo's fit on TRS? I'm also in the same dilema as Fund. Have the same system as he pictured above from Lathem.

Expensive Date
05-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Boat is a 29 Formula does not have external steering so I have plenty of room.I am pretty sure the tube style will work even with rams.From what I was able to find out last night from different sites keeping water on the sides is more effective than the top cap models.

Buoy
05-03-2009, 05:12 PM
My boat has a Latham system on a Bravo One.
Because the boat was originally a TRS setup, the cooling water (motor) is thru-hull.
The water p/u on the outdrive is being used to feed water to the shower.
I know it doesn't answer your question, but I think it's a pretty slick set-up, and thought I'd mention it.

Ted
05-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Buoy you wont have any issues, My Formula looks just like the back of yours and I have the Simreks. My gear oil comes out as green as when it goes in and I have no chalk at all .

fund razor
05-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Boat is a 29 Formula does not have external steering so I have plenty of room.I am pretty sure the tube style will work even with rams.From what I was able to find out last night from different sites keeping water on the sides is more effective than the top cap models.
Sounds like the Simteks would work well for you.

Buoy
05-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Buoy you wont have any issues, My Formula looks just like the back of yours and I have the Simreks. My gear oil comes out as green as when it goes in and I have no chalk at all .

OK, but do you have a transom water p/u?
The one that mounts a big square aluminum "tube" that is angled at the bottom on the transom?
I had that on my old Baja w/TRS, and one night (sleeping on the boat after a run) it had broke loose, and almost sank the boat - good thing thing I was in the boat.
My Pantera has a thru-hull p/u directly under the motor (for engine cooling), and I've been told it is "large" I'm not familiar with what would be considered the right size.
Sorry if this is a hijack, but while we're on the discussion of cooling, I think it is relative.

fund razor
05-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Has Ted seen Buoy's boat, or did he mean the pic that I posted?

Ratickle
05-03-2009, 07:10 PM
I think wicked marines are about the best for flow. Cools the top and sides both. I also believe they have them special for hydraulic. Cheaper than Simrek too.

They were talking about designing it to fit TRS. Don't know if they did, call them.

I remember Rex/CP carried a flex hose one for TRS. I don't ever recall a failure of a TRS for oil heat though. They hold too much oil from what I recall to build that much heat. Wrong?

Expensive Date
05-03-2009, 10:07 PM
I watched the video on wickeds site, they seem to work well might order them tomorrow night.

fund razor
05-03-2009, 10:14 PM
That is a good vid.

PARADOX
05-14-2009, 08:19 PM
I'm playing with making my own drive shower. I'm using SS tubes with a screen and not going through the cav plate. Here's my thoughts on showers overall. The cap style looks great, nice and shiny, but being a half crazy scientist and a dimwitt engineer.. no matter what the advertisers say,, I think a cap actually keeps heat in away from decipating. physics.. With the shower tube in it, it's probobly equal so I doubt it does any good. Strictly tube is the way to go for actual performance.

Ted
05-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Has Ted seen Buoy's boat, or did he mean the pic that I posted?

Whoops, got my pics screwed up. The back of my boat is almost identical to the pic Fund posted, and the Simreks work fine. I have the Imco steering and you have to get a little spacer for the upper bolt, they will send it to you. Otherwise, no sweat.

fund razor
05-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Whoops, got my pics screwed up. The back of my boat is almost identical to the pic Fund posted, and the Simreks work fine. I have the Imco steering and you have to get a little spacer for the upper bolt, they will send it to you. Otherwise, no sweat.

That what I thought you meant, Ted. Just confirming.
Thanks for the info.

PlumCrazy
05-15-2009, 02:10 PM
CP Performance is selling the Hardin Marine Sport Tech showers for $99.99. I really like mine. They're well-made and good looking.

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6514