PDA

View Full Version : Watches

MarylandMark
05-02-2009, 09:43 AM
Ok so I'm tying the knot (http://www.jamieandmark.net) and the WTB (wife-to-be) gets the ring. So she wants me to get a ring; I don't like jewelry.

Most couples fight over $$ so we figured we would have a joint account and credit card for joint expenses and then our own accounts. Pay the bills and the rest is yours to blow how you want (well she said sans hookers and blow but what she don't know won't come up in the divorce).

So I'm thinking if this is one of those things "I haft ta do" to keep the $$ even then I will get a cheap ring and a nice watch for when I put my court suit on (dress up).

Her ring was $20K so I get the same budget. I'd like to blow that $$ on some thing else but figured a good watch would be worth what I paid for it or maybe even more if I ever have to sport the court suit against her one day.

So- what would you get? I'm sure there are better out there but Rolex is world renowned for pimpin so that's what I want.

I like the screen in the 1st pic with some bling like the number place holders in the 2nd pic and get a cheap ring like in pic 3.

ps- some how I think WTB as in wife-to-be is not as exciting as WTB as in wanted to buy. Think "WTB: 30 Skater w/300XS's" Now that makes me get a stiffy!

Chris
05-02-2009, 10:15 AM
I think you take the opportunity to be smart. Buy a basic band and never take it off. I HATED jewelry, but got the band. She even kept saying she knew it was a waste of money and it wouldn't get worn past the ceremony. I got used to it and it's never come off. And, she never wears hers.

If you spend $20K on a watch, everyone will assume it's a fake.

MacGyver
05-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Mark, I don't think "tying the knot" and "divorce" should be in the same post ;)

MarylandMark
05-02-2009, 10:52 AM
I think you take the opportunity to be smart. Buy a basic band and never take it off. I HATED jewelry, but got the band. She even kept saying she knew it was a waste of money and it wouldn't get worn past the ceremony. I got used to it and it's never come off. And, she never wears hers.

If you spend $20K on a watch, everyone will assume it's a fake.

Opportunity to be smart? I do that often... :lurk5:

Phone company work= too much stuff to get it caught on or complete a circuit with my finger being the fuse

Mark, I don't think "tying the knot" and "divorce" should be in the same post ;)

45.8% disagree (divorce rate in US for 2008) :sifone:

Hope for the best; plan for the worst. I'll be 38 in 2010- if we D it up I'd be too old to start over with nothing.

:26:

phragle
05-02-2009, 10:59 AM
to hell with the watch.. I got a Timex you can have...to hell with the wife to be...within 5 years you will just want to kill her, and be trying to remember what a blowjob was like.. BUY THE BOAT I SAY!!!!! on the water time doesn't matter and yo can always find a cute little blowjob giving airhead with silicone titz who wants to go for a ride...

TIKI
05-02-2009, 01:12 PM
I have a cheap band....and a Blackberry for a watch.

Buoy
05-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Sounds like a waste of 20K to me.

MacGyver
05-02-2009, 01:28 PM
:iagree::iagree::iagree:

phragle
05-02-2009, 01:29 PM
you can get those Rolex's in Tijauana for $12.50.....

rainmn
05-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Get a stainless sub for ~5Gs and save the extra 15 grand.

RLJ676
05-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Get a stainless sub for ~5Gs and save the extra 15 grand.

Exactly what I was gonna say.

Then just be fishy when she asks about costs, and let her think it was about the same.

Then spend 15K on beer & gas this summer!:sifone:

phragle
05-02-2009, 03:13 PM
a new watch...or a fancy new chartplotter/gps with integated satilite weather and dvd integration which is more practical.......

MacGyver
05-02-2009, 03:19 PM
a new watch...or a fancy new chartplotter/gps with integated satilite weather and dvd integration :drool5::drool5::drool5:

decisions, decisions, decisions :huh:

Ratickle
05-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Watch, Rado is what we have

http://www.rado.com/en/Watches/Anatom/Pages/Anatom.aspx.

Smaller and more stylish than a Rolex, and an outstanding watch.

Buy the Skater, paint the rings on the side and call it something like, "Our Eternal Blessing". Just convince her it means a lot more to show everyone on the water how much she is appreciated, how lucky you are to have her, and how you want the world to know.....

I mean, after all look what you gave up...:)

phragle
05-02-2009, 03:30 PM
just ruined another keyboard spitting coffee.... you think their children will be good swimmers?? phelps records will never stand against there offspring...

mosi
05-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Fly to vegas and find a $20,000.00 watch in a pawn shop and pick it up for 10K and put the other 10K in an 'INVESTMENT' mason jar.

Have the watch appraised for it's true value of $20,000.00 and schedule it on your Homeowner's policy.

IF and WHEN you 'LOSE' (all risk coverage) the watch the company will replace the watch or give you the money it would take to replace the watch.......aprox 15K. Put the 15K in the 'INVESTMENT' mason jar with the original 10K.

Notice how your original $20,000 has increased to 25K .

Buy the fake watch in New York for $12.50 because you are an irresponsible fool who has already shown that he cannot hold on to anything that valuable.

IF and WHEN you find the original watch ........take it to a pawn shop in Vegas and pawn it for $10,000.00. Invest that 10K in your 'INVESTMENT' mason jar and if you let it sit for a day or ten.....you will see that your 'INVESTMENT' has grown to $35,000.00 minus the $12.50 for the New York watch that you have on your wrist.

Find a nice repo boat valued around $60,000.00 and purchase it from the bank using the $35K found in your 'INVESTMENT' mason jar.

When tooling down the water in your $60,000.00 boat......throw your New York watch on the seat for everyone to see. Point out that it has an electronic movement (tic, tic, tic....) rather than a sweep movement (which all big dollar watches have). Admit it is a $12.50 fake watch and explain how you are an irresponsible nit wit who cannot take care of expensive jewelry.

Everyone will talk about what an honest person you are and how intelligent you are to be able to afford a $60,000.00 boat and own it outright!!!

Enjoy the ride!!!!

:leaving:

:leaving:

Toasty
05-02-2009, 07:56 PM
If you really want a good watch research it. A good subby will earn you coin in the long run...there are forums dedicated to such topics get her ideas make her feel included...if you want...good luck with wtb and wtb

christian

Tony
05-02-2009, 08:34 PM
I told Donzigirl that since I spent the cash I was saving for a trick azz thousandish yard rifle on her ring, than she could buy me the parts for a wedding present. Well see how that works out... She already knows that the band will be thrown in a drawer a few hours after the wedding. My high school class ring almost cost me my hand after getting it caught in a machine.

MarylandMark
05-02-2009, 09:03 PM

iPhone here and no band on my finger or a watch. Trust me I agree with ya- I'm not going to wear either more than 20 hours total in the next 20 years..

Then just be fishy when she asks about costs, and let her think it was about the same.

Then spend 15K on beer & gas this summer!

I've thought about this one very hard but figured starting out lying would cost me more in the end. SHE already pays for fuel/oil/booze and one of the reasons she won the prize (me..).

a new watch...or a fancy new chartplotter/gps with integated satilite weather and dvd integration which is more practical.......

Mines an 07 3210 with weather & sonar so not ready to drop the coin on a new one yet- I think 50% of the depreciation on boats are the electronics packages!!! A man can go broke quick trying to keep up with the latest and greatest. BUT- I do like the 5200 series Garmins with the touch screen!

Trust me I can find a lot more things to spend the $$ on but to "keep it fair" we have to waste it on some thing. I said ok, give me $10K and we'll be even. That didn't go over to well since she felt like she would be paying 50% for her ring and that is not romantic.. Huh? We do well $$ wise but I don't feel like I have enough to sport a watch like this by any means but some times it's easier just to say yes...

Fly to vegas...

Yea Mon!!

Buoy
05-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Trust me I can find a lot more things to spend the $$ on but to "keep it fair" we have to waste it on some thing.

Would you like to know how to donate it to my boat racing fund through Paypal??
That sounds like a complete waste, so you would be accomplishing the goal set in front of you.

MarylandMark
05-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Would you like to know how to donate it to my boat racing fund through Paypal??

Ha- I've proposed several much better ways to waste money:

Formula 350SS ~ Deep Impact w/Quad's ~ Concept 36 open w/trips

I mean really- we lived in a RV for 22 months to "get ahead" and I'm going to have some thing ticking (well sweep movement is quiet I guess) away in my top drawer worth that much loot. My first name is Mark but my last name is not Cuban! She said whos Mark Cuban? Women!

So I hear ya- hence the reason to get some that will hold it's value so when the need comes for a new toy it can be a quick dump, cash back in hand and WTB (the good one- wanted-to-buy) in effect. Just trying to play the game (Yes, Dear...) for now- easier to go with the flow than against it.

I know- folding my balls over but once you see me drunk it and realize she puts up with that quite often you would more than understand..

:biggrinjester:

BBB725
05-03-2009, 09:48 AM
I have a simple wedding band that has not been worn in 25 years, same reason as Tony. As for the watch, you going to wear it everyday or only as jewelry? I wear mine every day and don't have a dress watch.

VtSteve
05-03-2009, 10:04 AM

Hope for the best; plan for the worst. I'll be 38 in 2010- if we D it up I'd be too old to start over with nothing.

It was 51 for me, started over with...errr... not as much :ack2:

I noticed in your posts that the term "We" or "Us" doesn't come up a lot.

florida gator
05-03-2009, 10:13 AM
It was 51 for me, started over with...errr... not as much :ack2:

Going to be 41/42 for me depending how long it takes to find the end. Started out at 18 with no $$$ no credit. Starting over with neg cash and bad credit.

Judge ordered her to pay the mortgage since she wanted to live in the house. It has taken me 7 months to get a hearing for contempt from her not paying. Judge said in hearing it has already ruined my credit, "that's water under the bridge". Go ahead and sell the house but in the mean time she gets to live in it for free.

Toasty
05-03-2009, 10:18 AM
pics of the lovely couple this is a funny read???

MarylandMark
05-03-2009, 10:58 AM
As for the watch, you going to wear it everyday or only as jewelry? I wear mine every day and don't have a dress watch.

Only as a dress watch. I don't wear any jewelery. I have my hands/arms in electronic/electrical equipment all day as a phone guy and really since I've never worn any it is uncomfortable to wear.

Yea- I've been reminded of that by her more than once.. I'll be 37 this month and this is the 1st person I'vd dated over a year (we've dated since 12/05). Kind of get use to my life revolving around me and hard habit to break.

I've been following your plight bro- sorry to hear..

pics of the lovely couple this is a funny read???

www.JamieAndMark.net

Of course she doesn't know any thing of the watch idea yet. She knows I prefer understated classy but I think she thinks if I get a bling bling ring that I'll wear it. See the Rolex's I like on the 1st page- fairly "blah" when it comes to bling- prefer the elegance over sh-zam.

Like in a plain white 30 Skater w/300XS's and a classic green stripe kind of way.. (unless it was the baddest of the bad like Pure Platinum).

Nothing like thinking you have "The Sh1t" and then someone else rolling up with "The Real Sh1t" so unless you KNOW you have "The Real Sh1t" it is better to be understated than overstated and put in your place. Make sense?

RLJ676
05-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Nothing like thinking you have "The Sh1t" and then someone else rolling up with "The Real Sh1t" so unless you KNOW you have "The Real Sh1t" it is better to be understated than overstated and put in your place. Make sense?

The problem is even when you think you are the "really real sh1t" with something as bad ass as Pure Platinum, someone shows up with a 44 MTI, two semis, a motorhome, 20 motorcycles and a ZR1!:26:

How about spending 5-10K on a watch, and then upgrading the home theater to something real nice, or a pool table...etc. I agree that a 20K on a watch seems excessive but there are plenty of other little toys you could get yourself too.

MarylandMark
05-03-2009, 11:36 AM
How about spending 5-10K on a watch, and then upgrading the home theater to something real nice, or a pool table...etc. I agree that a 20K on a watch seems excessive but there are plenty of other little toys you could get yourself too.

That's been my angle since 12/08 when we got engaged. I'm resigned to just buy some thing to prove I'm not going to wear it and then be able to re-coup most of it in a few years. I need a rental.. LOL!!

Already have my new RV picked out, already have what we want to do to the house planned out, etc and the best part it all has been budgeted for. (We've been trying to buy a foreclosure since 3/08 so spending $$ on the other toys has been on hold until that happens). Trust me when I say I have a list 2 miles long to spend this money on besides jewelery but kind of sick of fighting the fight.

There is no reason someone in our income should have a $20K watch has been my angle but not getting very far. She says it will last a long time and doesn't depreciate. We have low debt and make around $200K between us but 10% of our income is still 10% and 10% of our income sitting next to the wallet my Grandma gave me 15 years ago (she pass shortly after or it would have been in the trash 15 years ago) I've never used is plain stupid IMHO.

Buoy
05-03-2009, 11:40 AM
So, you aren't married yet, and she's already got you spending outrageous amounts of money on things you don't want...

I see where this is headed:leaving:

BBB725
05-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Only as a dress watch. I don't wear any jewelery. I have my hands/arms in electronic/electrical equipment all day as a phone guy and really since I've never worn any it is uncomfortable to wear.

Of course she doesn't know any thing of the watch idea yet. She knows I prefer understated classy but I think she thinks if I get a bling bling ring that I'll wear it. See the Rolex's I like on the 1st page- fairly "blah" when it comes to bling- prefer the elegance over sh-zam.

Like in a plain white 30 Skater w/300XS's and a classic green stripe kind of way.. (unless it was the baddest of the bad like Pure Platinum).

A Yachtmaster or Daytona, the people who know will see the watch:sifone:

Scarab KV
05-03-2009, 12:01 PM
I must be a cheap f****r. Wifes ring was $3500, my ring was $800 and my watch is a Field and Stream $20 special that hasn't lost time in 15 years. Probably shouldn't have worn my band on the truck, but did. Just always had gloves on when handling freight or pallets, swing'n trailer doors, hook'n up, etc. Had a friend who caught his ring on a grab handle swinging down from the cab of his Pete.....shreaded every bit of skin from his finger. Still wore mine.....didn't feel right with it off.

phragle
05-03-2009, 12:46 PM
http://www.jamieandmark.net/

EEEEKKKKK!!!! please tell that is her doing and NOT your doing...... if you had a hand in that we need to get you into testosterone therapy quick!!!!! your scaring me man....

Tommy Gun
05-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Website aside I'd buy a Cig watch ($1200-1500) and Wild's Cig 20 leaving $2,500 for some upgrades.

MacGyver
05-03-2009, 01:22 PM
A Yachtmaster or Daytona, the people who know will see the watch:sifone:

With what I make, I'll never have to worry about getting one of those :leaving:

Wrinkleface
05-03-2009, 02:17 PM
save the extra 15 grand.

4 the attorney!!!!!!!!:26::lurk5:

MarylandMark
05-03-2009, 02:30 PM
A Yachtmaster or Daytona, the people who know will see the watch

YES! One of them is in my 1st post but in (preferable by me) silver. Bling but not like like the grille of a 80's era rapper.

I must be a cheap f****r. Wifes ring was $3500, my ring was $800 and my watch is a Field and Stream $20 special that hasn't lost time in 15 years. Probably shouldn't have worn my band on the truck, but did. Just always had gloves on when handling freight or pallets, swing'n trailer doors, hook'n up, etc. Had a friend who caught his ring on a grab handle swinging down from the cab of his Pete.....shreaded every bit of skin from his finger. Still wore mine.....didn't feel right with it off.

I'm with you! Sucks hanging around rich people- felt like I had to be at least in the ball park with them. When the jeweler told me $10K I was taken back a little; when he told me $10K was only for the center stone I dropped my soda bottle on the counter and broke a $200 figurine..

I can't wear gloves at work- have to squeeze in to small spot and can't have any thing conductive on me. There is a safety video we watch of a dude with a long gold chain on that swung over, grounded to some thing and blew his neck off. Ok not that bad but still- I get bit with 130-190 volts 3-4 times a day as it is and don't want to have to take any chances.

http://www.jamieandmark.net/

EEEEKKKKK!!!! please tell that is her doing and NOT your doing...... if you had a hand in that we need to get you into testosterone therapy quick!!!!! your scaring me man....

Of course it was HER doing. :coolgleamA: Let's just say when I get in trouble I end up having to do gay crap so I make sure whatever I do wrong is worth it (and it is- even my finest moment dolphin swimming!).

phragle
05-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Of course it was HER doing. :coolgleamA: Let's just say when I get in trouble I end up having to do gay crap so I make sure whatever I do wrong is worth it (and it is- even my finest moment dolphin swimming!).

I have always just put my foot down... I never let a women tell me I did something wrong in her eyes...she starts that the reply is always.. I'm a guy...I do guy things..thats the way it is, if you have a problem with that, thats your problem. she will take it for a while, then one day she will be done and leave. that usually coincides with the time the novelty has worn off and your getting tired of her. gotta love it when aplan comes together. of course that could explain why i have never been married...or why an ex gf tried to shoot me..

Ratickle
05-03-2009, 04:48 PM
an ex gf tried to shoot me..

Probably a little more to that story.....:sifone:

Buoy
05-03-2009, 04:55 PM

Know what ya mean.
$100 watch that I've been wearing for five years.
Wedding rings, maybe $800 between the two of us.
Engagement ring, I don't even want to say...
5 yr anniversary ring for her, bout a grand, but appraised at 3K.
I don't wear jewelry either.
Wedding band, watch, and an earring of my daughters birthstone.
The wife agrees with me to throw money into the boat, instead of jewelry.

I remember when my Father lost his original wedding band (truck driver, constantly putting on and removing gloves), and he was pretty upset about it.
I never take mine off.

MarylandMark
05-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Me too Phragle- It's always been my way or the highway and the never dated a chick over a year before her. At my age (36); if I let her go I bet the next one I found would have a ton of baggage! Chasing skirts is a youngsters game and you can't be a renter all your life either. Or can you.. Hmmm. LOL!

We both sold our houses within 3 months (her) and 6 months (me) of meeting and moved in a 40 foot RV together for 2 years. If she can put up with me in those space confinements with my antics she deserves a metal!

It's all good- but I still don't need no farkin watch or ring

phragle
05-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Probably a little more to that story.....:sifone:

She was 19, I was 25...dated for about 3 months...her roomate moved so she moved in with me... after about 5 or 6 weeks she 'lost' her job. sat around the house all day...didn't cook...barely cleaned, but was hot and would service on demand, and would try anything my crazy mind could come up with...was great at first...hell i would be doing a team 250 mile desert race, I would ride 1 30 mile lap, partner would jump on bike and do 30 mile lap.. this chick rocked to the point of blowing me..dirt dust and all between rides..bit then she got even lazier around the house...wouldnt look for a job..well she said she went 'looking' all the time...but somehow always ended up shopping... got tired of it after a couple months of supporting her azz.. told here she was goona have the house clean and dinner waiting and a job within a week... she flat out freaked psychoticaly...started screaming, throwing chit at me... I just stood there, let her scream, throw stuff and hit meafter about 10 minutes I sat down turned the tv on..she got back in my face freaking...I told her she needed to save her energy for the job search..she walked away.. finally peace...she came out of the back bedroom with my roomates 45..took two wild shots..I ran across the street to the cops house..cop pulled his gun on her, black and white showed up cuffed her and stuffed on disturbing the peace...as the cop car drove away she looked back to see me tossing her chit in the yard.

moral to this story.... never again will I date a chick from alaska, becuase there is like 1 girl for every 10 guys up there..or at least there was at the time..so they think they can get away with absolutely anything and you will be gratefull for a piece of azz... homie dont play dat chit.

Buoy
05-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Phragle, I'm seeing a pattern of weapons being discharged in your presence through several recent posts.
You have in one way been directly involved in each of them prior to the discharge.
Anything we should know of, or be concerned about?:leaving:

mosi
05-03-2009, 05:54 PM
384 days and counting down!!!

phragle
05-03-2009, 05:59 PM
hasn't happened again since 96, when the 5 border patrol agnts pulled me out of my work truck at gunpoint ofr trying to run from them...I ask you....if I was trying to run, would I do the speed limit in a hino box truck, use my turn signal and stop first vehicle at a red light with no opposing traffic?? the bp agent that tried to pull me over got RIGHT behind me with a dash blinker on... all I saw was the shadow of somebody tailgating me..I about brake checked him not knowing it was bp, but figured i am getting off at the next exit..I even used the turn signal and changed lanes on the freeway trying to get the jackass off my bumper.

Ratickle
05-03-2009, 06:59 PM
this chick rocked to the point of blowing me..dirt dust and all between rides..

No wonder you didn't win.......:sifone:

phragle
05-03-2009, 07:30 PM
but I did.......

MarylandMark
05-03-2009, 08:10 PM
384 days and counting down!!!

I still got time to RUN! LOL- I keep telling her she is still on probation and I ani't said I do to nutt'n yet!

note to self- buy a better couch for the new house..

but I did.......

even if you lost the race! LOL

It's great having a chick to do anything and everything you want- for a while that is. Once you don't even respect them any more things start going down hill fast. Been there/done that and it was a blast (literally in your case) but can't live like that forever.

pullmytrigger
05-04-2009, 10:01 AM
from a guy whose been there done that......like four times

you should sit down with her and have a talk about how you want to live your life together.....if her vision centres around expensive gifts and 'keeping up with the Joneses" and yours doesnt......you should move on.
Tell her your ok with this watch thing as a "one timer" but that type of thing is not really your style.

Its ok to be a practical person and live within your means.....embrace it.
Unless your name is Rockefeller you'll never win the "one upmanship" game

Ratickle
05-04-2009, 10:04 AM

you should sit down with her and have a talk about how you want to live your life together.....if her vision centres around expensive gifts and 'keeping up with the Joneses" and yours doesnt......you should move on.
Tell her your ok with this watch thing as a "one timer" but that type of thing is not really your style.

I thought boatme was the only 4 timer......:leaving:

And Gates can take Rockefeller....:)

Scarab KV
05-04-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm with you! Sucks hanging around rich people- felt like I had to be at least in the ball park with them.

Not really. I have a lot of friends who are way better off then me, but I am me. Have nobody to impress but myself. If a new acquaintance embraces my friendship based on monetary values, the relationship doesn't last long.:sifone:

Scarab KV
05-04-2009, 10:10 AM

Wise words.

Sea-Dated
05-04-2009, 10:49 AM

Cheap band and iPhone here.....

pullmytrigger
05-04-2009, 08:07 PM
I thought boatme was the only 4 timer......:leaving:

And Gates can take Rockefeller....:)

Ive only been married twice but have had signifigant live in relationships with two others.....i was smart enough not to have kids with any of them though......they were all kinda cool in there own way but I didnt get the whole package until I met Susi .....she is a keeper

VtSteve
05-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Opportunity to be smart? I do that often... :lurk5:

Phone company work= too much stuff to get it caught on or complete a circuit with my finger being the fuse

Me too Phragle- It's always been my way or the highway and the never dated a chick over a year before her. At my age (36); if I let her go I bet the next one I found would have a ton of baggage! Chasing skirts is a youngsters game and you can't be a renter all your life either. Or can you.. Hmmm. LOL!

We both sold our houses within 3 months (her) and 6 months (me) of meeting and moved in a 40 foot RV together for 2 years. If she can put up with me in those space confinements with my antics she deserves a metal!

It's all good- but I still don't need no farkin watch or ring

You sound like you know what's what Mark. Here's what an old guy can do, free consulting.

Just say......

YOU'RE ALL I WANT HONEY.... I'd rather save the money and have you all to myself on a couple of great vacations, preferably in the Bahamas, Hawaii, or maybe a Poker run or Two :biggrinjester:

MarylandMark
05-04-2009, 08:57 PM
if her vision centres around expensive gifts and 'keeping up with the Joneses" and yours doesnt..... live within your means..... .. Unless your name is Rockefeller you'll never win the "one upmanship" game

You are 100% correct; we laugh at the Joneses. I say most people that look rich just have good credit (saying not as true as it once was but still). Funny how all these people that were big pimpin were doing a refi appraisal the following month so they wouldn't lose it all. REALLY opened my eyes to who really could afford to live the way they do.

We live way under our means- less than 20% of our income goes to bills including boat, housing, vehicles, etc. Hell- we lived in a trailer for 2 years (that only cost 2 months income). Just saying- I see how I painted the materialistic picture but that couldn't be further from the way we really are.

The watch thing is a 1 time deal without a doubt and I kind of brought it on myself (already taking blame- WTF is this marriage doing to my balls?!?!).

Anyway- we already agreed on how to run our financial lives and some thing like this ring we were to be "even" on. Well I went out and blew $20K on her ring because I wanted her to have some thing to be proud of. So... I figured we would let this one slide about being even since it was her ring but she's not having that. So I say let's put it towards a RV? She says the RV is joint so that doesn't count, etc..

Not really. I have a lot of friends who are way better off then me, but I am me. Have nobody to impress but myself. If a new acquaintance embraces my friendship based on monetary values, the relationship doesn't last long.:sifone:

You are right! That was kind of a joke but since I was the only one that knew what was going on in my head it only made sense to me. LOL! I wanted her to have some thing to be proud of- trying to keep up with the Joneses on this one if you will.

Money has nothing to do with true friendships- send me $50 and I'll prove it to you.. HA!

No really- I'd rather buy drinks so it doesn't look like I'm around anyone for their $$$ just to make sure. Man- I just had a flashback I'd be rich if I didn't do that!

MarylandMark
05-04-2009, 08:58 PM
WTF- this went from watches to marriage counseling and I'm not even married yet????

MattBMiller
05-04-2009, 09:52 PM
I fell in love with the Rolex stainless Jubilee Datejust with the diamonds on the hour and the black Rolex jubilee dial. Right around $8K at Jared. For my everyday watch I have a Rolex stainless Datejust with the standard black dial, no bling. Just sold my GMT Master.

Chris
05-04-2009, 10:32 PM
That 20K watch is going to make you sad when you put a nice, big ding in it doing something you knew you should have taken it off for.

I had about a dozen watches at one time and never wore any but one. The first Rolex I bought 25 years ago. It's definitely got some charachter on it from thr miles it's travelled. Bought it for $550 in the BX in Italy in '83. Cost me more than that to have it cleaned last year.

Buoy
05-04-2009, 10:42 PM
WTF- this went from watches to marriage counseling and I'm not even married yet????

That should be telling you something.

I'll bet ya your watch (if you sucker into it) that you won't make it 10 yrs.

Oh wait, I haven't made it 10 yrs yet either.
And I'm on my second try.
This one is much more hopeful though.

JupiterSunsation
05-04-2009, 11:24 PM
MM you are a wingnut for even looking at 40K in jewelry. You already made 1/2 a bad decision by blowing the wad on a 20K ring for her don't follow it up with another 20K bad decision just to even up the "distribution of wealth."

Been married 13 years this year, have had a Rolex since 91 and have maybe worn it 100 times. Have a wedding ring, very simple gold band that I have worn maybe 50 times. If I wear a suit the watch/ring are on but other than that never.....I hate jewelry.

Don't **** away good money in this economy. Go buy 20k in blue chip stocks and see what they are worth in 10 years.

sledge
05-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned this one: tell her you'd rather start saving for the kids' college fund. That oughta have at least a little tug on her heart strings....even if you have your fingers crossed behind your back. :D

If you're serious about just buying a precious metal that you'll never wear and have in the back of your head that you can sell some day, just buy a brick of platinum or something. OR, broaden your search beyond a Rolex...

VtSteve
05-05-2009, 06:23 AM
My old Seiko was $250 or so back in 1984, works like a charm.

Chris
05-05-2009, 07:41 AM
I said it before- when I see a 20K watch, I typically assume it's a fake. Beyond that, a real $20K watch says to me that person is trying way too hard to tell me they are somebody that can afford an expensive watch. They could get t-shirts printed up with their financial statement on them and that would cost alot less. The guys I know that can pull them off are guys that live in estates and live that large in all aspects of their lives. When I see a guy swing out of a 4-year-old domestic car with one on, it's sort of like driving through the ghetto and seeing a new Caddy parked in the street.

And don't get me started on a $20k diamond. I did the DeBeers Dance a quarter century ago and it's still a burr under my saddle. I fell for the "two month's pay" thing and grossly overpaid for an object that if not for the cartel's manipulation would be a relatively common rock.

Back to the Rolex- why is it that the same watch in the Rolex line is $10K more with a gold case? Same movement, same case, different material. The 2 oz of gold is less than two grand.

MarylandMark
05-05-2009, 07:51 AM
Give it to her in the butt and she will forget about the watch!!! ;)

ZING! I can see the watchband ripping her earring out when she gets got and tries to squirm away!

And I'm on my second try.

Most everyone we know is on their 2nd. It should be law that marriage licenses can't be handed out until 30 years of age. I know if I was married before 30-35ish; I'd be divorced without a doubt. Too much single life to live below 30, then in the mid-30's my perspective changed and being out til 3AM every night chasing tail got old. The tail didn't; the chase did. She'll be 31 and I'll be 38- waited this long to make sure I/we were done being players. LOL! Me a player- as shy as I am. Now that's funny!

That 20K watch is going to make you sad when you put a nice, big ding in it doing something you knew you should have taken it off for.

You've seen how I get Chris- I keep telling her a watch won't make it through one night on the town with me. It will either be scratched to hell, I took it off to show someone and forgot who that was or I'll get mugged taking a leak while eating pizza behind a dumpster.

Ever have a conversation with someone and don't rememeber a word of it? I do every time barley and hops hits my lips!

Why take chances? LOL

You guys are right- I'm putting my foot down. I'll look at my iPhone if I want to know the time! Plus- if I get busted for staring at some chicks b00bies I can say I was trying to read her watch...

Chris
05-05-2009, 08:03 AM
I got lucky and only ruined the crystal on mine drunk wrestling at 3AM on an asphalt parking lot at the bar with one of my pals.

Go buy yourself a plain-jane Explorer I or a stainless Datejust and enjoy it for the remainder of your life.

Knot 4 Me
05-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Love my $250 Citizen Eco Drive watch. No batteries, no winding. Haven't worn a wedding ring in 22 years (married in 1987). Much to her chagrin, still on the first wife. :sifone:

pullmytrigger
05-05-2009, 09:54 AM
The guys I know that can pull them off are guys that live in estates and live that large in all aspects of their lives.

agreed.....unless your living in an estate with a garage full of Ferrari's and Porsche's and a plane.....dont bother

phragle
05-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Timex... it takes a licking and keeps on ticking... remember the old tv adds when the straped one to the prop of an eggbeater....

BBB725
05-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Timex... it takes a licking and keeps on ticking... remember the old tv adds when the straped one to the prop of an eggbeater....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgsvnvf6UGA&feature=related

TIKI
05-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Ever have a conversation with someone and don't rememeber a word of it? I do every time barley and hops hits my lips!

I have the same problem....or so they tell me cause I usually don't remember:ack2:

phragle
05-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Go to the 50 second mark... what more could a man want??

Vgsvnvf6UGA

Scarab KV
05-05-2009, 11:06 AM
HVatUaplyVU&feature=related

BBB725
05-05-2009, 11:33 AM
HVatUaplyVU&feature=related

That had to be a great tape job to hold that watch in place:sifone:

Chris
05-05-2009, 11:44 AM
I'm not seeing a lanyard.

MarylandMark
05-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Great points Chris!!

I drive a truck, have a fish boat and lived in a trailer...

I've got the price cut in half so far and agreed to spend the other half on some thing for me that I want. Vegas anyone? Oppss... I'm told I shouldn't think like that any more.

I think it is the Daytona that I like?

Buoy
05-05-2009, 11:57 AM
I think you're onto something with the Vegas idea.

Spend 20K on your own bachelor party.
Now there is something you REALLY want.:sifone:

Scarab KV
05-05-2009, 12:05 PM
That had to be a great tape job to hold that watch in place:sifone:

Come now....is there anything duct tape won't hold?:biggrinjester:

ChiefApache
05-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Well I went out and blew $20K on her ring because I wanted her to have some thing to be proud of.

Buy me a $20K ring and I'll be proud baby!:sifone:

ChiefApache
05-05-2009, 12:11 PM
I said it before- when I see a 20K watch, I typically assume it's a fake. Beyond that, a real $20K watch says to me that person is trying way too hard to tell me they are somebody that can afford an expensive watch.

And honestly, it's not that impressive.

BBB725
05-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Great points Chris!!

I drive a truck, have a fish boat and lived in a trailer...

I've got the price cut in half so far and agreed to spend the other half on some thing for me that I want. Vegas anyone? Oppss... I'm told I shouldn't think like that any more.

I like mine:sifone:

Scarab KV
05-05-2009, 12:35 PM

Hold on.....try'n to stand on my head so I can see it.:biggrinjester:

ChiefApache
05-05-2009, 12:52 PM

LOL!! It makes me dizzy to look at it.

phragle
05-05-2009, 12:55 PM
I said it before- when I see a 20K watch, I typically assume it's a fake. Beyond that, a real $20K watch says to me that person is trying way too hard to tell me they are somebody that can afford an expensive watch. .

how many people even know what a 20K watch looks like?? most of he world thinks an expensive watch was one the costs more than $20 in the walmart jewelry section...

Chris
05-05-2009, 01:06 PM

That's the Daytona. The one in the pic has the meteorite face. It's an actual slice from a metallic meteor. They get all the money for it. Last time I looked they were pulling more for the all-stainless than the gold- I couldn't understand why. You may want to look at a vintage one- with the Zenith movement. The classics are kinda cool.

Chris
05-05-2009, 01:11 PM
how many people even know what a 20K watch looks like?? most of he world thinks an expensive watch was one the costs more than $20 in the walmart jewelry section...

Everyone knows what a Rolex is. It's a Cigarette for your wrist. Very few people know what a Chronoswiss is. But because everyone knows what a Rolex is, you have incredible fakes out there now. I've seen some that were impossible to tell apart without opening. And they're not $35 Rolexes either. They're $600 one's.

Mark- if you really want a nice watch and want it because you want a watch, not want to impress people with your watch, take a look around at some of the other brands. I think you'd like a Panerai- they're very unique and stylish. Another interesting watch is the IWC (International Watch). They basically cover the same ground as Rolex.

MarylandMark
05-05-2009, 01:37 PM

Dear Uncle BBB,

Thank you so very much for the nice Engagement present. I will wear it with pride (not that kind of "pride") and I can't wait to see what you get me as a wedding present. If you need a hint; either of your boats are fine by me.

Thanks again,
MM

Everyone knows what a Rolex is. It's a Cigarette for your wrist.

Bingo! I like the idea of the $600 deal and $19K in my pocket! Is lying a good way to start a marriage or does that just come at the end of it?

Scarab KV
05-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Dear Uncle BBB,

Thank you so very much for the nice Engagement present. I will wear it with pride (not that kind of "pride") and I can't wait to see what you get me as a wedding present. If you need a hint; either of your boats are fine by me.

Thanks again,
MM

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Tony
05-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Wheres HyperBaja when you need him?:D

MarylandMark
05-05-2009, 01:58 PM
That's the Daytona. The one in the pic has the meteorite face. It's an actual slice from a metallic meteor. They get all the money for it.

Of course- whatever I like- even if it is understated like this- is more $.

See:

50 Nortech (vs 80 Nortech) plain white (vs wild graphics) with trip 1075's (vs 1800 Chiefs) and donkey dongs (vs straight pipes)?

BBB725
05-05-2009, 02:23 PM

LOL!! It makes me dizzy to look at it.

Is that better you whinners:biggrinjester:

jmeng
05-05-2009, 02:25 PM
How bout you just tell her you're not spending thousands of $$ on something you don't really want. You were happy to buy her ring because you know she'll love it but that an expensive watch is going to be wasted on you. Go drop a couple hundred on a ring for you to wear when you dress up and call it done. Leave the rest of the money in the boat fund.

Buoy
05-05-2009, 02:26 PM

This may have been the longest a watch thread has gone before someone brought up Tommy.

Ratickle
05-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Bingo! I like the idea of the $600 deal and $19K in my pocket! Is lying a good way to start a marriage or does that just come at the end of it?

Should work out fine......:)

ChiefApache
05-05-2009, 02:54 PM

Thanks dad! :rofl::biggrinjester:

klaw
05-05-2009, 03:30 PM

funny

Scarab KV
05-05-2009, 03:34 PM

Thanks dad! :rofl::biggrinjester:

Better. Now, about that keyboard........

BBB725
05-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Better. Now, about that keyboard........

That would be an apple special cause my wireless one took a dump:(

Scarab KV
05-05-2009, 04:03 PM
That would be an apple special cause my wireless one took a dump:(

Thought maybe it was an old school thing:biggrinjester:

MarylandMark
05-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Fixed your calander

Seafordguy
05-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Christ - I have less than a hundred dollars in both my watch AND my wedding ring combined.... I like it like that because then I don't have to give a damn about either.

In case you're wondering it is a Fossil and it is blue like my guage bezel's with Red highlights like my guage LED lights. Perfect match, and I can go buy another at JC Penny's anytime I need a replacement....

My ring looks like I took an old galvanized washer and flattened it out. I swore I wouldn't wear it but my wife put it on at the alter and it hasn't bothered me and I have never taken it off. I definitely wouldn't drop much coin on a wedding band.....

I'm pretty fashionable....

RLJ676
05-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Mark, I think that Daytona is a good choice, and think 5-10K would get enough watch to last a lifetime.

I've got a basic Breitling automatic, paid like 1500 for it after I graduated college. Appearantly now it'd cost 2700 to buy, so I don't think I've at least lost on it, unlike everything else I've ever owned.:sifone:

Oh, and the kicker is the damn thing is like 6 years old and needs a cleaning, to the tune of $500, so I have to reset it each day. I love the watch, but the resetting thing is a real hassle (I know I just need a winder, or to clean it, but I'm a cheap bastard and saving everything for boat expenses.:26:)

VtSteve
05-06-2009, 05:53 AM
Dear Uncle BBB,

Thanks again,
MM

You'll have awhile to invest that money with prepaid legal services. Market should do pretty well the next several years, and you'll be way ahead.

JupiterSunsation
05-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Mark, I think that Daytona is a good choice, and think 5-10K would get enough watch to last a lifetime.

I've got a basic Breitling automatic, paid like 1500 for it after I graduated college. Appearantly now it'd cost 2700 to buy, so I don't think I've at least lost on it, unlike everything else I've ever owned.:sifone:

Oh, and the kicker is the damn thing is like 6 years old and needs a cleaning, to the tune of $500, so I have to reset it each day. I love the watch, but the resetting thing is a real hassle (I know I just need a winder, or to clean it, but I'm a cheap bastard and saving everything for boat expenses.:26:)

Similar story.....bought a Rolex Stainless Air King for $1350 new in 91, same watch today is 3K but it needs the $500 clean and since I don't wear it, it isn't priority #1.

Magic Medicine
05-06-2009, 09:52 AM
I have a Rolex date just the my folks bought me when I graduated college. Had the watch for close to 10 years now and I plan on having it forever! Rolies never go out of style, I plan on giving it to my son someday

Scarab KV
05-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Fixed your calander

lol...that was good for coffee on the monitor:rofl:

ZBODaytona
05-06-2009, 10:34 AM
I have a Rolex date just the my folks bought me when I graduated college. Had the watch for close to 10 years now and I plan on having it forever! Rolies never go out of style, I plan on giving it to my son someday

I have the same one...handed down... It was bought in 84. It has survied many a thing...best thing was when my father cast netted into the gulf......I hope to be able to give it to a future child of mine. Have an airking that was an unlces..but i never have that on..since getting my fathers.

MarylandMark
05-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Chalk another one up for SOS!!

I've "won"- no watchy for me! I do have to get a ring.

Apparently borrowing one from a friend for the ceremony is not good enough. She said "because they are still married".

Well- I can say she didn't like me asking my buddy who is going through a divorce either. I can't win and my dinner will be cold most of this week I'm sure.

Buoy
05-06-2009, 06:51 PM

Apparently borrowing one from a friend for the ceremony is not good enough. She said "because they are still married".

Well- I can say she didn't like me asking my buddy who is going through a divorce either. I can't win and my dinner will be cold most of this week I'm sure.

I didn't think I'd wear the ring, but have to admit I never take it off.

So who's the best man gonna be??
Flipper?

MacGyver
05-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Flipper?

:rofl: :26:

RLJ676
05-06-2009, 07:57 PM

Congrats!...I think?:sifone:

Appease her with a 3K roly, they are the coolest looking (simplest) anyways.:26:

Wrinkleface
05-06-2009, 08:05 PM

warm pizza delivery Bubba!!!!:drool5:

Tony
05-06-2009, 09:09 PM

So basically what your saying is that she wears the pants.:03:

:sifone:

BBB725
05-06-2009, 09:59 PM

Thats goin leave a mark:biggrinjester:

Scarab KV
05-06-2009, 10:14 PM
I didn't think I'd wear the ring, but have to admit I never take it off.

Flipper?

Damn....rough crowd:rofl:

Buoy
05-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Damn....rough crowd:rofl:

Just rough around the edges.:sifone:

pullmytrigger
05-07-2009, 10:14 AM

:biggrinjester: he said it........!!!

MarylandMark
05-07-2009, 10:30 AM
So basically what your saying is that she wears the pants.

I just like her to think she is right is the way she perfers me to say it...

I'd have a lot more leverage (not that kind Jassman) if I would straighten up just a little so going to try that some time after Summer.

Damn....rough crowd

Tell me about it! Then again- where else can watch advice turn to wedding advice turn in to what a wuss weddings make people to getting poked in the pooper? Good stuff (sans the poop poke part).

Does that mean she is going to Poke MM in the POOPER???

:boxing_smiley:

I was going to put: :sifone: but then these pillow biters may think I take it in the cakes which is FAR from the case!

ChiefApache
05-07-2009, 11:25 AM

Well, I agree you should have a ring IMO, but I think that's more a woman thing. It's important to me.

I know lots of men who don't wear their bands during the week, but do on the weekends.

MarylandMark
05-08-2009, 10:44 AM
I know lots of men who don't wear their bands during the week, but do on the weekends.

I'm fine with that; as long as she reminds me... :sifone:

ChiefApache
05-08-2009, 10:50 AM

Oh don't worry sweetie, she will LOL!

Ratickle
05-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Well, I agree you should have a ring IMO, but I think that's more a woman thing. It's important to me.

Just tatoo her name around your finger in the shape of a ring in gold. Done deal......

Won't ever need a reminder.....

ChiefApache
05-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Just tatoo her name around your finger in the shape of a ring in gold. Done deal......

Won't ever need a reminder.....

He'll be married. He'll still be reminded. :sifone:

Slandrew
05-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Go to NYC pick 1 of these up!:seeya:

MarylandMark
05-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Go to NYC pick 1 of these up!

When I was researching how to make sure I was getting the real deal I found Canal Street in NY is quite famous for knock offs.

There are websites that even rate fakes- some fakes cost like $1200

Slandrew
05-09-2009, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=MarylandMark;216057]When I was researching how to make sure I was getting the real deal I found Canal Street in NY is quite famous for knock offs.

There are websites that even rate fakes- some fakes cost like $1200 I hear ya :ack2:Go only to Rolex or Jacobs dealer only!This 1 was from dealer.

Wrinkleface
05-10-2009, 11:50 AM

psychedelic man!!!!!:26:

Slandrew
05-10-2009, 12:47 PM
psychedelic man!!!!!:26:Comes with a hit of Acid:biggrinjester:Have a great Mothers day!:seeya:

WATCHUS
05-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Very interesting posts i never laighed so much.
Rich

gerritm
05-27-2009, 04:38 PM
I had a couple of fakes from Canal St. A Rolex and a Tag. Tough to tell the difference from a distance. The "Rolex" second hand went tick-tick-tick.:dupe:

Slandrew
05-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Watches my son is an addict:sifone:

MarylandMark
05-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Very interesting posts i never laighed so much.
Rich

I see your name is WATCHUS- is that in reference to wares or a redneck joke?

:biggrinjester:

ps- 3 post - Welcome to SOS and we are glad you are here!!

WATCHUS
05-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Mark
Im in the watch service business not wares
Rich

Ratickle
05-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Mark
Rich

Just dropped our Rados off for service yesterday.....

RLJ676
05-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Mark
Rich

That's where all the money is I think!

I couldn't believe how much they were saying to service my Breitling.:ack2:

MarylandMark
05-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Mark
Rich

Ok so you see the guts of good watches all the time- what do you think is the best? I guess the proper way to say that is which one is the most precision machined? Just wondering since I have your ear...

buck
06-04-2009, 12:51 AM
After reading some of the replies on this thread I'm starting to feel a helluva lot better about my miserable existence.

Buck

Magic Medicine
06-05-2009, 08:26 AM
That's where all the money is I think!

I couldn't believe how much they were saying to service my Breitling.:ack2:

Just dropped our Rados off for service yesterday.....

Just dropped my Rolex off for service and they are saying $500 and a month to get it back.:ack2::ack2: Looks like its time to break out the TAG

Magic Medicine
06-05-2009, 08:27 AM
I also have a Maurice La Croix that I got as a gift anybody know anything about them?????

txriverrat2001
06-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Yo Mark - Congrats! You two make a really nice couple. I'll donate my old used single wedding bank if you need - I'll NEVER need it again ... did it twice, no more for me.

Get the real Rolex ...... but 8G's is all I would spend .... spend the rest on the boat!!!

mosi
06-05-2009, 09:28 AM
I also have a Maurice La Croix that I got as a gift anybody know anything about them?????

I believe he is a transvestite stripper from South Beach.

Magic Medicine
06-05-2009, 09:33 AM

thanks for nothing:ack2:

MarylandMark
06-05-2009, 04:09 PM

please don't tell us how you know that but please out the SOS member that referred you. Guessing he/she is a Realtor?

WATCHUS
06-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Mark
sorrybeen busy rolex is great britling,tag,bulgari, patek philippe,chanel go to there site ,many of the big guns are producing special editions with the tourbillion movements. Go to web look up watchprosite.com a lot of very special watches on that site.
Rich

JupiterSunsation
06-16-2009, 09:46 PM

Great watch to wear while cruising in your yellow miata.....:ack2:

Magic Medicine
06-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Great watch to wear while cruising in your yellow miata.....:ack2:

:rofl::rofl:

Slandrew
06-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Great watch to wear while cruising in your yellow miata.....:ack2:?????

Magic Medicine
06-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Just got my Rolex back from being overhauled, dang the thing looks brand new. My rist no longer feels naked!