PDA

View Full Version : Starter ?

CausinTrouble
05-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Can I use a bottom mount starter on a TRS. If so does anyone have a part number for a good starter ?

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Is there a spot for it? I don't think the flywheel cover has a spot for it. There are a couple different ones. I am pretty sure if the cover has coolers in it you can not. The block will most likely have a spot, but the cover needs to accommodate it. You still need to attend to the flywheel. It has the ring gear on the opposite side.

XcaliburGirl
05-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Yes there is a spot for it on the bellhousing and the block. I mounted a starter down there and the starter just spins. Like you said about the ring gear being in the other side is what im running into. I didnt know if there was a diffrent starter out there for this problem.

MERPerformance
05-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Is there a spot for it? I don't think the flywheel cover has a spot for it. There are a couple different ones. I am pretty sure if the cover has coolers in it you can not. The block will most likely have a spot, but the cover needs to accommodate it. You still need to attend to the flywheel. It has the ring gear on the opposite side.

If you are trying save some bucks by, buying a bottom mount starter it going to cost more to move the flywheel ring gear to the other side, if the ring gear is already damaged you still have to replace the ring gear or you will just tear it up even more, why, is the starter giving you problems first of all? If you tell me that, it will help me on your question.

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-02-2009, 11:43 AM
If you are trying save some bucks by, buying a bottom mount starter it going to cost more to move the flywheel ring gear to the other side, if the ring gear is already damaged you still have to replace the ring gear or you will just tear it up even more, why, is the starter giving you problems first of all? If you tell me that, it will help me on your question.

I am curious too. On top is a great place for it.

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Yes there is a spot for it on the bellhousing and the block. I mounted a starter down there and the starter just spins. Like you said about the ring gear being in the other side is what im running into. I didnt know if there was a diffrent starter out there for this problem.

The starter can only reach so far. What was the initial problem?

CausinTrouble
05-02-2009, 12:22 PM
The starter can only reach so far. What was the initial problem?

It all started when I mounted a top mount starter on. The gear on the starter would only brush the top of the teeth on the fly wheel. The starter only had 9 teeth on it?? So I thought maybe I could shim it....well the bolts wont get tight and I striped one of the holes out.

So I figured I would try a bottom mount starter....It wont touch the fly wheel...:(

I am going to put a helacoil in the bolt hole and try to get the right starter for the top mount. How many teeth should a top mount starter have 9 or 11 ?

Does anyone have a part number for the ac delco starter ?

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-02-2009, 01:29 PM
I don't have one lying round to check the number of teeth.. I have always referred to it as the reverse rotation starter. There are two that look the same, but spin opposite.

I can only provide you with the merc number 50-76965a 3 s/s to 50-808011a05 and pmgr 30459. for Left hand stern drive engines

CausinTrouble
05-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks Jim.

I will see what I can come up with

CausinTrouble
05-02-2009, 03:12 PM
So if I have a standerd rotation motor I need a counter clockwise top mount starter ?

SCARAB3DMC
05-03-2009, 08:00 AM
http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/Items/140-6075%20-%20sdr0252?&caSKU=140-6075%20-%20sdr0252&caTitle=NEW%20MERCRUISER%20MARINE%20OMC%20CCW%20STARTER%20CRUSADER%20140-6075

Check this place out they can help

Ratickle
05-03-2009, 08:18 AM
This will talk about rotation, and list all model starters. I cannot find anything anywhere for a bottom mount option on a TRS, or anything different than 9 tooth.

http://www.sterndrives.com/startermotors.html

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-03-2009, 11:59 AM
So if I have a standerd rotation motor I need a counter clockwise top mount starter ?

Yes stern dives are all left hand. When you relocate the starter it has to spin in the opposite direction. Top mounts come in both rotations. In boards have left and rt hand engines. The rotation is determined by which way the flywheel turns while standing behind it. Left hand = CCW

CausinTrouble
05-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

I ordered a new starter from db

SCARAB3DMC
05-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

I ordered a new starter from db

great customer service too. Glad to help! :sifone:

CausinTrouble
05-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Ok.......Im getting mad:ack2:

New starter from db.....New Cables...New Battery
Everything is hooked up and the motor turns over faster but the starter is still making a noise...Its kinda sounds like a small jackhammer (with a deeper tone)

Could it be the slave silonoid ????????? Im gonna pick one up tomorrow so everything will be new.

Also how many ground wires are on a typical older motor?

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-07-2009, 11:13 PM
It could be a bad tooth on the flywheel. It will break a good starter. It is a pain to check but you need to check it before you ruin the new parts. Does the noise happen every revolution of the motor or constant?

I would suggest you pull the spark plugs and check flywheel, crank it as little as possible until you figure it out and if you must crank do it with out plugs in to reduce the load

One good ground. It should be a heavy one. 2 awg is good for up to an 8 foot length from what I remember. I don't think a slave solenoid will cause your trouble.

CausinTrouble
05-08-2009, 07:52 AM
I will pull the plugs and turn the motor over by hand to check the teeth on the flywheel.

The noise is constant. I only have the one ground wire from the block to the battery.
My nertrual saftey switch is not hooked up but im sure the trans is in neutrual. Someone has cut the wires to it...Where do they hook up?

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-08-2009, 08:06 AM
There is a switch on the trans near the shift linkage it has two small slot screws on it close together. I kinda looks like a temp sender with two screws. The slave solenoid gets its ground to operate thru neutral switch.

I have found many starter problems arise because water leaked from exhaust. Pay attention to plugs and inspect for signs of water.

I suppose it is possible the ignition switch could be bouncing current to starter. I haven't encountered that problem before. Can you activate the starter at the starter? Do you have a volt meter or better yet a load tester to measure voltage at lug on starter?

You say constant. Is that with engine revolutions or starter revolutions?

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-08-2009, 08:10 AM
when you look at the teeth see if the starter is marking it about half way down the tooth or better. Not on the top 1/4 of the tooth.

Chris
05-08-2009, 08:53 AM
I have seen issues where the starter drive gear doesn't engage fully with the flexplate and that will cause noise and eventually a broken gear. I have also seen cracked flexplates. They can make all sorts of racket. I had one once that I thought was a rod knock- and a bad one. I had the motor out, stripped and upside down on a stand with the pan off before I pulled the drive plate and found the crack.

CausinTrouble
05-08-2009, 10:45 AM
There is a switch on the trans near the shift linkage it has two small slot screws on it close together. I kinda looks like a temp sender with two screws. The slave solenoid gets its ground to operate thru neutral switch.

I have found many starter problems arise because water leaked from exhaust. Pay attention to plugs and inspect for signs of water.

I suppose it is possible the ignition switch could be bouncing current to starter. I haven't encountered that problem before. Can you activate the starter at the starter? Do you have a volt meter or better yet a load tester to measure voltage at lug on starter?

You say constant. Is that with engine revolutions or starter revolutions?

There are two wires coming off the neutral saftey switch. yellow with a stripe and just a yellow one..Where do I hook them up?

The motor has not been in the water yet Im just trying to get everthing hooked up and set the timing.

I have a volt meter and will see what everything reads.

The teeth on the starter are marking all the way into the flywheel teeth.

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-08-2009, 10:49 AM
The wires from the neutral switch on the trannie. One goes to ground and the other goes to the slave solenoid little post. The slave solenoid needs a ground to work. The switch is closed in neutral and provides the ground.

CausinTrouble
05-08-2009, 11:10 AM
OK......I figured it out :26:

I crossed the starter over looking into the inspection hole on top of the bellhousing.........There is a spot on the flywheel with just a little bit of the teeth messed up......Once I got past the bad spot the starter spun the motor over with NO bad noises.........So I need a new Flywheel or ring gear...Does anyone have one laying around?

Thank you all for your help:sifone:

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-08-2009, 11:14 AM
GM sells ring gears. You bring in the flywheel to a Chevy dealer and it may take the parts guy a little while to figure it out but he will. Costs about 80. for a SB BB should be the same.

Ratickle
05-08-2009, 11:15 AM
OK......I figured it out :26:

I crossed the starter over looking into the inspection hole on top of the bellhousing.........There is a spot on the flywheel with just a little bit of the teeth messed up......Once I got past the bad spot the starter spun the motor over with NO bad noises.........So I need a new Flywheel or ring gear...Does anyone have one laying around?

Thank you all for your help:sifone:

I may have a pair. I switched to Eickert aluminums. I'll look.

CausinTrouble
05-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks again Jim

Ratickle
05-08-2009, 11:17 AM
GM sells ring gears. You bring in the flywheel to a Chevy dealer and it may take the parts guy a little while to figure it out but he will. Costs about 80. for a SB BB should be the same.

I once purchased a pair from Mercruiser, then my friend bought the exact same ones, same GM number, from GM for 1/4 of the price I paid....l:boxing_smiley:

txriverrat2001
05-08-2009, 11:25 AM
I get them from a local auto parts - I think the brand is ATP. Is it a 153 tooth ring gear?? If I remember correctly that's the most common.....

MERPerformance
05-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Take the fly wheel out knock the ring gear off go to napa buy one, clean the flywheel off and heat up the ring gear and slide it on and make sure it's seated against the flange. Ring gear $20 and your time