PDA

View Full Version : Old Farts Forever

seeroy
05-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Old Farts Forever (OFF) – Once an Old Fart, Forever an Old Fart!
Jim Hauser has selected the acronym “OFF” for the October 23-24, 2009 gathering in Abacoa/Jupiter, Florida. This event will run simultaneously with the Offshore Super Series (OSS) race at the same location. The OSS race is aptly named “Tropic Thunder”. Thus, Old Farts Forever fits neatly into the scheme of things. Yes…there is a subtle joke there. The “OFF” gathering is beginning to pick up steam with the end of the major boat show season. The concept is very simple. Jim will be making arrangements for a gathering of boat racers and their associates from “Back In The Day” to gather under very casual conditions to shoot the breeze, talk about their experiences, and tell a few lies. This gathering is open to all types of boat racers as well as those who just want to meet and greet some of the legends of boat racing. I have it on good authority that many legends, past and present, will likely be in attendance. Jim is currently in contact with several significant organizations and names in the boat racing community that have promised to cooperate in helping to make this a memorable event. Those organizations and names will be made known in the near future. Suffice it to say that you will recognize them. Jim is searching for a location that allows for 100-500 folks to gather in a separate room with “pay as you go” bar and food. He has tasked me with two things.
First is to publicize the gathering on this and other internet forums. Since we do not have, and do not intend to have, a budget, we will count on forums and word of mouth from you to non-interneters, to spread the word.
Secondly, I have been tasked to put together a simple program for the events. I am soliciting information from you for that program. I am also soliciting the same information on those legends that have left this life. I would like to salute them with a silent toast. They are a huge part of our history. Your inputs will allow me to put together a Powerpoint presentation that will run continuously at the events. I will make an attempt to recognize everyone that attends, but that requires your input. Finally I would like to thank those that put together last year’s event in Sunny Isles Beach. That event is what inspired Jim Hauser to create the upcoming “OFF” gathering.
Sooooo…..here is what I need from YOU! Please provide the following:
Your name.
(Optional) User name on forums.
Very short biography.
“Back in the Day” and present digital (.jpg or .bmp) photos of yourself and your boat(s). PLEASE submit photos as ATTACHMENTS.
Any of the same data on those who have left this life.
Submit information to this e-mail address. off2009@comcast.net
Thank You – Steve Sirois (seeroy)

seeroy
05-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Things are moving at just about the right pace for 6 month in advance of "Old Farts Forever" gathering. Jim Hauser has arranged for Friday (10/23/09) evening event at JJ Muggs in Abacoa/Jupiter. OSS will also be having a boat parade through the streets that evening. Saturday OFF event location TBD soon. I am very slowly beginning to work on program and continue to solicit your input. The following is one very rough draft of possible format for Powerpoint presentation. There are 7 pictures, so I will have to put them on a couple of consecutive posts. Remember, this gathering is open to all types of boat racers. Hope to see you there and Best Regards - Steve Sirois

seeroy
05-01-2009, 11:09 AM
3 more

seeroy
05-01-2009, 11:10 AM
And the last one

cigdaze
05-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Fantastic. That sounds like it will be a great, don't-miss event.

7xchamp
05-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Old Farts Forever (OFF) – Once an Old Fart, Forever an Old Fart!
Jim Hauser has selected the acronym “OFF” for the October 23-24, 2009 gathering in Abacoa/Jupiter, Florida. This event will run simultaneously with the Offshore Super Series (OSS) race at the same location. The OSS race is aptly named “Tropic Thunder”. Thus, Old Farts Forever fits neatly into the scheme of things. Yes…there is a subtle joke there. The “OFF” gathering is beginning to pick up steam with the end of the major boat show season. The concept is very simple. Jim will be making arrangements for a gathering of boat racers and their associates from “Back In The Day” to gather under very casual conditions to shoot the breeze, talk about their experiences, and tell a few lies. This gathering is open to all types of boat racers as well as those who just want to meet and greet some of the legends of boat racing. I have it on good authority that many legends, past and present, will likely be in attendance. Jim is currently in contact with several significant organizations and names in the boat racing community that have promised to cooperate in helping to make this a memorable event. Those organizations and names will be made known in the near future. Suffice it to say that you will recognize them. Jim is searching for a location that allows for 100-500 folks to gather in a separate room with “pay as you go” bar and food. He has tasked me with two things.
First is to publicize the gathering on this and other internet forums. Since we do not have, and do not intend to have, a budget, we will count on forums and word of mouth from you to non-interneters, to spread the word.
Secondly, I have been tasked to put together a simple program for the events. I am soliciting information from you for that program. I am also soliciting the same information on those legends that have left this life. I would like to salute them with a silent toast. They are a huge part of our history. Your inputs will allow me to put together a Powerpoint presentation that will run continuously at the events. I will make an attempt to recognize everyone that attends, but that requires your input. Finally I would like to thank those that put together last year’s event in Sunny Isles Beach. That event is what inspired Jim Hauser to create the upcoming “OFF” gathering.
Sooooo…..here is what I need from YOU! Please provide the following:
Your name.
(Optional) User name on forums.
Very short biography.
“Back in the Day” and present digital (.jpg or .bmp) photos of yourself and your boat(s). PLEASE submit photos as ATTACHMENTS.
Any of the same data on those who have left this life.
Submit information to this e-mail address. off2009@comcast.net
Thank You – Steve Sirois (seeroy)

I know that I will be considered too sensitive in this quote, but here goes. It has been bothering me about the OLD FART nomenclature you have come up with. I am sure it is meant to be comedic and funny, however I find it offensive. Many of the men and women who were the hero`s and legends of the sport of Offshore, living and past, I am sure would not appreciate being considered FARTS, much less OLD FARTS. There is nothing comedic about Offshore racing and the lives that were lost or destroyed as a result of it. The people that are still living, and legends, are very proud of what they accomplished and should not be considered OLD FARTS, but proud survivors of Offshore wars who have much history and many stories to tell the current Offshore enthusiasts. Why would you want to disgrace them by calling them OLD FARTS. By any other name I think you could have a nice event and I applaud you for your efforts to recognize and honor those living and past legends of Offshore.

Brownie
05-04-2009, 12:01 PM
I don't know about you, but I'm an old fart, and proud of it!

sy goldberg
05-04-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm old also(71) and I consider the old fart title to be a badge of honor

NNRT
05-04-2009, 12:50 PM
I am with you Richie !- Senior Offshore is more like it - a little respect for sure - Can you imagine reserving a restaurant - and posting a notice for OFF - or you know what - I wonder what the women would say - Senior Offshore Citizens - or something like that - but Not OFF -

Guess I just took myself off the list - be that as it may - !

How about Offshore Medicare - (card holders only) - saves making ID's

Offshore Giants ? Offshore Heros ?

the only problem with having a Medicare card to prove you belong, is that T2x cant get in - too young - but for Sure Sean Stinson can ! dont get mad Sean - get even !

Phil

oh - me too - am too young for this - haha !

Sean Stinson
05-04-2009, 02:03 PM
I am with you Richie !- Senior Offshore is more like it - a little respect for sure - Can you imagine reserving a restaurant - and posting a notice for OFF - or you know what - I wonder what the women would say - Senior Offshore Citizens - or something like that - but Not OFF -

Guess I just took myself off the list - be that as it may - !

How about Offshore Medicare - (card holders only) - saves making ID's

Offshore Giants ? Offshore Heros ?

the only problem with having a Medicare card to prove you belong, is that T2x cant get in - too young - but for Sure Sean Stinson can ! dont get mad Sean - get even !

Phil

oh - me too - am too young for this - haha !

I can show a AARP card and the senior living card that I got from you Phil!!!!:sifone::sifone:

T2x
05-04-2009, 02:14 PM

I will say this.....

As a group we will argue about anything....... even the name of the group.

You can't make this stuff up ;)

P.S. Is Phil Lewis bringing the Depends?

T2x

Sean Stinson
05-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Before you were so rudely interrupted I think he was making a stop for some Geritol!!!!

T2x
05-04-2009, 02:26 PM
By the way guys.....You might want to check again.

OFF is not an exclusively Offshore organization. It is a general Powerboat racing group, including all different types of veteran racers. Other expected attendees include Ken Kitson and a number of circle and marathon racers. I think even Steve David is allowed to attend. :D

T2x

Top Banana
05-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Last year we used the term Offshore Legends...Reunion for the get together that Brownie put on.

As Rich pointed out OFF is for ALL the old racers, that did everything from OPC to Unlimiteds.....it isn't really our call on this one.....maybe just join the fun and enjoy it.

NNRT
05-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Sean - the AARP card can be had at 50 something ! Richie - I got your TUMS !

gofish7070
05-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Does this mean we have people talking????????? When we thought to do this stuff,,,,, We only wanted to have as much fun as Brownies get to-gether was,, While talking to Brownie & Horba,,,,,,,,,and receiving their support,,,,,as Jackie W. has said if you ever raced a boat, lets get their,,,,,,,, It happens to tie into the OSS Worlds being held in Jupiter Fl....... Really didn't spend a lot of time thinking of a name,,,,,Hope no one is offended,,,,, Personally I think it ties in very well with the Tropic Thunder name that OSS has designated for this race,,,,, and after many discussions with them,,,,,, they think its good,,,,,,, Have been selling sponsorships for this event, and quite frankly everyone has been most reseptive,,,,,,,,,
Oh well like Rich says,,,,,,,,, We can argue about anything,,,,,,,,,

Sean Stinson
05-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Sean - the AARP card can be had at 50 something ! Richie - I got your TUMS !

I am there...ALMOST!!! I still think you should tell the helicopter story from lunch the other day!!!!!

NNRT
05-06-2009, 10:29 AM
I am there...ALMOST!!! I still think you should tell the helicopter story from lunch the other day!!!!!

Richie has a way with words- he can tell it !

Just thought that if this Org. gets going and is successfull, then why get stuck with a stupid name - its a great idea having this org. - but could they not be a little more classy ?

seeroy
05-06-2009, 03:00 PM
OKAY. I guess it's time for me to throw my two cents worth in here. There is not, and never has been, any intent by Jim Hauser or myself to offend anybody in this effort. To “honor the proud survivors of Offshore wars” is not the primary intent of this gathering . The primary and simple intent is to get a bunch of old boat racers of all types together to reminisce and have a little fun. Most boat racers tend to have a pretty good time at a party. If you read my early posts in S&F, you will realize that I am a great fan of self-deprecating humor. I have always said that if a man cannot laugh at himself, his underwear is probably too tight. While some may provide me with their own humorous input for the program, others may be more serious. I will present only what I am provided. A secondary intent of the gathering is to offer a toast to all of those that are no longer with us. That includes boat racers of all types and regardless of perceptions of "hero or legend" status. You may be assured that such toast and/or presentation will be done with a great degree of dignity and respect. I may approach life from a bit different and less serious perspective than some. That's just who I am. Despite some differing opinions on the title of the event, it is what it is, and all old boat racers are invited to attend. If one chooses to not attend because of the title, they will miss a good time. Jim has arranged for a great time at JJ Muggs on Friday evening followed by a huge street party in Abacoa/Jupiter. The owner of JJ Muggs is very enthused and has already identified spots in his parking lot for a few old boats on static display. We would love to see a few old classics from different classes (tunnel, wing, cat, hydro, drag, OPC, Alky kneeldown, SK, Offshore, etc. Sorry if I left something out). The OSS and Geico Racing has very graciously invited us to be part of their Saturday night party. That is still in the formative stages. This a great opportunity for all types of old boat racers to get to know and appreciate what the other go-fast types experience. I don't know about others, but I intend to relax and have a little fun that weekend. Unfortunately, I am not a golfer. I guess Jackie Wilson will lead the charge to the links. No doubt others will follow. What the heck...I may go along just to watch the fun. Oh, by the way, like Brownie I too am an Old Fart and proud of it. I am also proud to sign my name - Steve Sirois

Edward R. Cozzi
05-06-2009, 07:38 PM

Me too!

Sean Stinson
05-07-2009, 11:58 AM
OKAY. I guess it's time for me to throw my two cents worth in here. There is not, and never has been, any intent by Jim Hauser or myself to offend anybody in this effort. To “honor the proud survivors of Offshore wars” is not the primary intent of this gathering . The primary and simple intent is to get a bunch of old boat racers of all types together to reminisce and have a little fun. Most boat racers tend to have a pretty good time at a party. If you read my early posts in S&F, you will realize that I am a great fan of self-deprecating humor. I have always said that if a man cannot laugh at himself, his underwear is probably too tight. While some may provide me with their own humorous input for the program, others may be more serious. I will present only what I am provided. A secondary intent of the gathering is to offer a toast to all of those that are no longer with us. That includes boat racers of all types and regardless of perceptions of "hero or legend" status. You may be assured that such toast and/or presentation will be done with a great degree of dignity and respect. I may approach life from a bit different and less serious perspective than some. That's just who I am. Despite some differing opinions on the title of the event, it is what it is, and all old boat racers are invited to attend. If one chooses to not attend because of the title, they will miss a good time. Jim has arranged for a great time at JJ Muggs on Friday evening followed by a huge street party in Abacoa/Jupiter. The owner of JJ Muggs is very enthused and has already identified spots in his parking lot for a few old boats on static display. We would love to see a few old classics from different classes (tunnel, wing, cat, hydro, drag, OPC, Alky kneeldown, SK, Offshore, etc. Sorry if I left something out). The OSS and Geico Racing has very graciously invited us to be part of their Saturday night party. That is still in the formative stages. This a great opportunity for all types of old boat racers to get to know and appreciate what the other go-fast types experience. I don't know about others, but I intend to relax and have a little fun that weekend. Unfortunately, I am not a golfer. I guess Jackie Wilson will lead the charge to the links. No doubt others will follow. What the heck...I may go along just to watch the fun. Oh, by the way, like Brownie I too am an Old Fart and proud of it. I am also proud to sign my name - Steve Sirois

I wouldn't miss this for the world....:sifone::sifone::sifone:

seeroy
06-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Had a nice talk with Jim Hauser today about OFF2009. For those that are not aware, the Sunny Isles OSS race was cancelled due to lack of sponsorship money. Jim is very confident that the Tropic Thunder event in Abacoa/Jupiter will not meet the same fate. That is the OSS race that OFF has partnered up with for our party of 23-25 October. The OSS race is to be dedicated to John Begovich who recently passed away. OSS and Geico Racing are 100% behind that race and have also been 100% supportive of our effort to do the OFF party in concert with them. However, let it be known that regardless, the OFF party will take place come Hell or high water. I reiterate that the “Old Farts Forever” parties are for old boat racers of all types and levels of success. The Friday party will be at JJ Muggs in Abacoa starting at 4:00PM and last until you have had more fun than you can take in one night. Saturday and Sunday events are yet to be defined, but rest assured that there will be events. More later. – Steve Sirois

Ratickle
06-20-2009, 08:05 AM
Had a nice talk with Jim Hauser today about OFF2009. For those that are not aware, the Sunny Isles OSS race was cancelled due to lack of sponsorship money. Jim is very confident that the Tropic Thunder event in Abacoa/Jupiter will not meet the same fate. That is the OSS race that OFF has partnered up with for our party of 23-25 October. The OSS race is to be dedicated to John Begovich who recently passed away. OSS and Geico Racing are 100% behind that race and have also been 100% supportive of our effort to do the OFF party in concert with them. However, let it be known that regardless, the OFF party will take place come Hell or high water. I reiterate that the “Old Farts Forever” parties are for old boat racers of all types and levels of success. The Friday party will be at JJ Muggs in Abacoa starting at 4:00PM and last until you have had more fun than you can take in one night. Saturday and Sunday events are yet to be defined, but rest assured that there will be events. More later. – Steve Sirois

Thanks for the update Steve.

Can Old Forever Fans come visit Old Farts Forever?:sifone:

seeroy
07-27-2009, 12:36 PM
OFF IS ON!!!

All reports of our death are greatly exaggerated!!!

“Old Farts Forever”, OFF2009 in Jupiter Florida, 23-25 October 2009, is a definite go. The “Tropic Thunder” OSS race scheduled for that week has indeed been canceled. That event is a victim of the current economy as sponsorship has dried up. However, OFF2009 is up and running. From the very beginning we opted to be an event without a budget. That simply means that we have made, and will continue to make, arrangements for a 2-3 day gathering of old boat racers to socialize and have a little fun. All events will be very informal. There are no registration fees and no fees to attend any of the scheduled events. All costs (lodging, food, drinks, entertainment, golf, fishing, etc.) will be the responsibility of each individual. This concept has allowed OFF to go ON regardless of the economy. We are not sponsor dependent. However, several organizations and individuals have graciously offered to help. Rich Luhrs is bringing his immaculately restored Switzer wing. Geico racing will display their offshore boat and host an open house at their shop. We currently have commitments for a 7 liter Hydro and a Jersey Skiff and are working on attaining other types. While informality is the rule, it would be nice if we have some idea of how many people to expect. You can help in that regard by responding to off2009@comcast.net
Currently there are 3 scheduled events as follows:
Friday, 23 October – 4:00PM-until at JJ Muggs Stadium Grill, 1203 Town Center Drive, Jupiter Florida. Cash bar and food. We will have several race boats on display in the park across the street.
Saturday 24 October – 11:AM-2:00PM Open House at Geico Race Shop, Bldg A, 7555 Garden Road, Riviera Beach Florida.
Saturday 24 October – 4:00PM-until at Brix Italian Fishery, 1000 North US Hwy 1, Jupiter Florida. Cash bar and food. Race boats on display.
Sunday 25 October – Golf, Fishing, Shopping, whatever floats your boat.
We are currently working on a “Headquarters” Hotel, however we will also identify others in order to suit different budgets.

T2x
07-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Rich Luhrs is bringing his immaculately restored Switzer wing. .

"Immaculately Restored" may be a stretch....but it does run.........:D:D

seeroy
07-27-2009, 08:37 PM
:)
"Immaculately Restored" may be a stretch....but it does run.........:D:D

Rich - I was talking about you, not the boat :) - Steve

Ratickle
07-27-2009, 08:40 PM
:)

Rich - I was talking about you, not the boat :) - Steve

I have absolutely no comment on this one. I think I'll PM Brownie and Charlie.....

Brownie
07-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Have you guys contacted Odell and Mel and John and the boys? My biggest helper for my reunion was Butch Stokes. If you don't have his info, I'll get it to you. I'm coming for sure, and I found my scrapbook in an amphora near the dead sea. I'll bring that too.......

seeroy
07-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Have you guys contacted Odell and Mel and John and the boys? My biggest helper for my reunion was Butch Stokes. If you don't have his info, I'll get it to you. I'm coming for sure, and I found my scrapbook in an amphora near the dead sea. I'll bring that too.......

Hi Brownie - What the hell is an amphora? Sounds exotic. I have talked to Butch and he gave me some great info that I have yet to follow up on. But I will do so soon. Jim Hauser talked to John Bakos and Mel Riggs face to face awhile back. They both said they would come. Also, I talked to John on the telephone recently. He confirmed that he is planning to be there. I have not talked to Odell yet, but I will. - Steve

seeroy
08-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Brownie - Jim talked to Odell yesterday. Odell is raring to go and will be there. I talked with Dave Craig today and it looks like he will also be there. Things are really starting to come together. - Steve

Brownie
08-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Steve, give Sam James a call at 863-234-1096. He just talked to Bakos and Riggs.

B

seeroy
08-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Brownie - Talked to Sam. He will be there. - Steve

seeroy
08-14-2009, 08:10 AM
OFF2009 Update

Things Are Getting Festive…And Yet Will Remain Very Informal!!!

OFF2009 (October 23-25 2009) is really beginning to pick up steam. The town of Abacoa/Jupiter is getting very interested and has created some media attention in the local area. They will close the streets in front and beside JJ Muggs for the Friday event so we can park boats there. Geico truck drivers will provide security for all boats during the evening. We have also arranged nighttime secure parking for the boats. There will be a band in the park across the street and street vendors in the area. Abacoa may also provide a couple of 9’ screens on the street so we can present some videos to the civilians in the area. And yet we will stay the way we want it. That is, very informal with our private room inside JJ Muggs. Saturday events will also be low key with “Old Farts” taking naps, the Geico Race shop open house and evening at BRIX. Jackie Wilson has volunteered to run a “Texas Scramble” golf tournament for whoever wants to chase that little round ball around. The when and where of Golf will depend on what sort of feedback he gets from the Duffers in the group. Details to follow. Once again, many have let us know of their intent to be there. It would be nice to have an idea about who else will be there. So drop us a line at OFF2009@comcast.net and let us know your intent and something about yourself. Photos would also be nice. Several area hotels have given us very good rates. When you call, mention OFF and, if that doesn’t work, just mention historic boat racers. Hotels and rates are as follows:

LaQuinta Inn
34 Fishermans Wharf
Jupiter , FL 33477
(561)575-7201 ask for Theresa and mention OFF for $59 rate

Best Western Intercoastal Inn
810 South US Highway 1
Jupiter, FL 33477
(561)575-2936 mention OFF or Historic race boats for $79 rate

Jupiter Waterfront Inn
18903 SE Federal Hwy
Tequesta, FL 33469
(561) 747-9085 mention OFF or Historic race boats for $99 rate

Homewood Suites by Hilton
4700 Donald Ross Road
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33418
(561) 622-7799 Ask for Andrew for $145 rate

Ms PatriYacht
08-20-2009, 09:25 AM
How many of you Old Farts will be in Key West in November during race week?

OneBadInjun
08-25-2009, 04:58 PM
I know that I will be considered too sensitive in this quote, but here goes. It has been bothering me about the OLD FART nomenclature you have come up with. I am sure it is meant to be comedic and funny, however I find it offensive. Many of the men and women who were the hero`s and legends of the sport of Offshore, living and past, I am sure would not appreciate being considered FARTS, much less OLD FARTS. There is nothing comedic about Offshore racing and the lives that were lost or destroyed as a result of it. The people that are still living, and legends, are very proud of what they accomplished and should not be considered OLD FARTS, but proud survivors of Offshore wars who have much history and many stories to tell the current Offshore enthusiasts. Why would you want to disgrace them by calling them OLD FARTS. By any other name I think you could have a nice event and I applaud you for your efforts to recognize and honor those living and past legends of Offshore.
Ritchie, I agree with you whole heartedly. Not too classy. Trying to picture the likes of Tom Gentry, Bernie Little, etc., attending a convention of our peers, called "Old Farts", isn't very noble. Maybe next time around, another name could be chosen.:USA:

seeroy
09-21-2009, 10:45 AM
OFF2009 Capsule as of 21 September 2009

Who….?
All types of boat racers and/or anyone remotely associated, to include families. Those who just want to meet and greet some of the legends of boat racing are also welcome. We could not possibly send out personal invitations to everyone. Since we do not have, and do not intend to have, a budget, we will count on forums and word of mouth from you to non-interneters, to spread the word.

What…?
“Old Farts Forever”, OFF2009 in Abacoa/Jupiter Florida, 23-25 October 2009. This is a gathering of old boat racers and their associates from “Back In The Day” to socialize and have a little fun. All events will be very informal. There are no registration fees and no fees to attend any of the scheduled events. All costs (lodging, food, drinks, entertainment, golf, fishing, etc.) will be the responsibility of each individual. This concept has allowed OFF to go ON, regardless of the economy.

When…? Where…?
Friday, 23 October 2009 – 4:00PM-until at JJ Muggs Stadium Grill, 1203 Town Center Drive, Jupiter Florida. Cash bar and food. We will have several old and new race boats on display in the street and in the park across the street.

Saturday 24 October 2009 – 11:AM-1:00PM Open House at Geico Race Shop, Bldg A, 7555 Garden Road, Riviera Beach Florida.

Saturday 24 October 2009 – 4:00PM-until at Brix Italian Fishery, 1000 North US Hwy 1, Jupiter Florida. Cash bar and food. Race boats on display. Tribute to all old boat racers who are no longer with us.

Sunday 25 October 2009 – Golf, Fishing, Shopping, whatever floats your boat.

Why…? Because!!!!

Contact… OFF2009@comcast.net

Hotels…

LaQuinta Inn
34 Fishermans Wharf
Jupiter , FL 33477
(561)575-7201 ask for Theresa and mention OFF for $59 rate

Best Western Intercoastal Inn
810 South US Highway 1
Jupiter, FL 33477
(561)575-2936 mention OFF or Historic race boats for $79 rate

Jupiter Waterfront Inn
18903 SE Federal Hwy
Tequesta, FL 33469
(561) 747-9085 mention OFF or Historic race boats for $99 rate

Homewood Suites by Hilton
4700 Donald Ross Road
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33418
(561) 622-7799 Ask for Andrew for $145 rate

seeroy
10-06-2009, 01:23 PM
I just received the following message from John "Cadillac" McDaniel reference OFF2009 with his very kind offer for anyone who would like to get their boat wet and or store it. - Steve Sirois

Hola, I have five acres in Stuart just north of the event and want to
make it available to anyone who might want to come with a camper or
need a spot to store a boat or anything for the event. Safe and no
worries about theft. 8 mile west of I-95 at exit 101 "Stuart /
Indiantown" 8625 SW Kanner Hwy, Indiantown, FL 34956 (772) 285-2266 cadillacboats@me.com

I also have a freshwater ramp where any of the boats can run if they'd
like to on the Ockeechobee Waterway.

Peace, Cadillac McDaniel

seeroy
10-14-2009, 01:05 PM
For prospective attendees to OFF2009. Most of you know that Ken Warby is the World Waterspeed Record holder at 317.60mph. As we have stated in the past, OFF2009 is open to boatracers of all types, their compatriots and families, anyone interested in boatracing, and regardless of level of success. However, there will indeed be boatracers like Ken Warby present that are "Legendary". If names like Ken Warby, Odell Lewis, Bill Seebold, John Bakos, Brownie, Mel Riggs, Charlie McCarthy, Carl Moesly, Kenny Kitson, Rich Luhrs, Jackie Wilson and many others mean something to you, please come meet them. Also, if boats like Switzercraft Wing, Bertram Moppie, Raveau, Geico, 7 liter hydro, Speed Skiff, D hydro, and others mean something to you, come see them. AND, to those bringing boats to display, I have a pretty good idea who most of you are, but it would be helpful if you would send confirmation of your name, boat, e-mail, and cell phone number to me at OFF2009@comcast.net I will rsepond with my cell phone number so you can contact me upon your arrival. I will also supply the times that you will be able to park your boats at JJ Muggs and BRIX as well as safe night time storage location. Bobby Ridgell and I will be there to help you with those arrangements. Best Regards to All and we are looking forward to seeing You and Yours - Steve Sirois and Jim Hauser

seeroy
10-15-2009, 07:39 AM
8 Days and Counting!
Got 2 very cool e-mails yesterday.

#1-Mike Mullins will display his twin Evinrude Molinari in race ready condition.
This is the wooden Moli that Ceasare Scotti won the 1969 Havasu World Outboard Championship in.

#2-Dave Switzer may attend on Saturday.
Dave designed the Switzercraft Wing that won many races “back in the day”
Rich Luhrs will display his Switzercraft Wing on both days.
Kenny Kitson will be at OFF. Kenny won the 1968 Havasu World Outboard Championship in his Switzercraft Wing “El Diablo”.

Ratickle
10-15-2009, 08:20 AM
8 Days and Counting!
Got 2 very cool e-mails yesterday.

#1-Mike Mullins will display his twin Evinrude Molinari in race ready condition.
This is the wooden Moli that Ceasare Scotti won the 1969 Havasu World Outboard Championship in.

#2-Dave Switzer may attend on Saturday.
Dave designed the Switzercraft Wing that won many races “back in the day”
Rich Luhrs will display his Switzercraft Wing on both days.
Kenny Kitson will be at OFF. Kenny won the 1968 Havasu World Outboard Championship in his Switzercraft Wing “El Diablo”.

I saw a Switzercraft Wing for sale a couple of days ago on the net. $25,000 I think. Wish I could be there to say hi to all.....

Brownie
10-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Harry Schoell is coming. Harry designed most of the really good 60's offshore stuff, 28' Magnum, 23' Magnum, 32' Cary/Cigarette, etc.

seeroy
10-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Things are starting to happen fast. While the parties have been our focus from the beginning (Jim Hauser tells me every day, "We started out with a 6 pack of beer and a bag of potato chips, and now look what is happening."), we now believe we may have 20-25 old and not so old boat on display. During the last 24 hours, Rich Luhrs ran into a little glitch in transporting his Switzer Wing, but he immediately contacted Kenny Kitson, who said, "No problem. I will bring my Switzer Wing "El Diablo". So now it is possible we will have 2 Wings there.

Additionally, I have had contact from both Dave and Bob Switzer. It is entirely possible that both Switzer brothers will be there.

To add to the festivities, Bob Walwork (Builder of Raveau boats since the 1950s) will be there with his DU Raveau.

Things just keep getting better - :USA: Steve

PARADOX
10-23-2009, 07:40 AM
So who's going and when? Got a list?

I might stop by on Saturday.
P

scarab 600s
10-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Leaving St Pete now! See everybody in Jupiter. Should be a great Event! Thanks to Steve for the effort. Garty Orthner

Brownie
10-24-2009, 08:06 PM
I was in heaven..... Talked for a while to the Switzer brothers, Ken Warby, Odell Lewis, John Bakos, Sam James, Jim Mander, Dale Thayer, Rich Luhrs, Billy Seebold, Dale Thayer, Gene Wagner, Gene Lanham, and a couple of dozen others. What a shindig!

Ratickle
10-24-2009, 10:11 PM
I was in heaven..... Talked for a while to the Switzer brothers, Ken Warby, Odell Lewis, John Bakos, Sam James, Jim Mander, Dale Thayer, Rich Luhrs, Billy Seebold, Dale Thayer, Gene Wagner, Gene Lanham, and a couple of dozen others. What a shindig!

Wow,....... :26:

Now bring them all to Key West....:sifone:

DAREDEVIL
10-24-2009, 11:05 PM
wow,....... :26:

Now bring them all to key west....:sifone:

yep !!!!!!!!!:usa:

MikeyFIN
10-25-2009, 05:14 AM
Dammn.. And Now Im kicking myself...

Better go and look for jobs overthere and live the dream...

T2x
10-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Jim and Steve:

Thank you so much for the time, effort and thought that you devoted to this. The memorial flyby...thanks to Velux..... was a beautiful tribute to so many who have passed. The restaurants and environs were amazing and just perfect for what we needed. Let me also thank the Geico/Haggin team for putting up with us and extending so much generosity..... Thanks also to Ken Kitson for saving my butt by bringing his wing when my effort went awry. ...

Finally to the rest of you OFF members.....I loved every minute I got to spend with so many old friends.....it's like the years melted away in an instant. Our love of the sport, shared memories and experiences that will never happen again, along with the wonderful sense of brotherhood is something I will carry with me always..... God Bless each and every one of you.

Keep the faith.

T2x...............

Brownie
10-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Summing up the weekend for me, I am so thankful that I was born at the right time. The opportunity will never present itself again, at least in the boating area. Imagine (if you weren't there) firing a flare, and having 278 boats take off wide open for the draw span at 125th St. and then racing to West Palm Beach UP THE INTRACOASTAL BYGOD WATERWAY. Frickin' tree huggers, manatee loving, noise abating bastriges will see that you do not have any fun, from here on. I got to watch Odell, Bakos, Sirois, Ridgell, Sam Griffith, Forest Johnson, et al. blow by me, while I steered with my knee, and opened a cold one with my hands. Never happen again............

Magnum Mark
10-26-2009, 01:31 PM
hi brownie good to hear so much reminissing. dont know too many of you pioneers in the sport but i do live on a farm on rosendale/eldorado wisc line near mel riggs. after work i stop by and talk with him and the boys from time to time. your name has come up periodicly. odell as well and i think he was up here not to long ago.if you havent been to his establishment it is quite an operation. worth the trip..anyway glad your golden years are going well.

Billy Dalton.

seeroy
10-28-2009, 01:35 PM
OFF2009 went ON this last weekend with great success. We are currently posting follow up and photos on that thread..see link below

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183058&page=7

These eight have at least driven a Switzer Wing, five have actually raced one. Photo taken at OFF2009
Left to right: Bobby Ridgell, Odell Lewis, Gene Lanham, Rich Luhrs, Steve Sirois, Kenny Kitson, John Bakos, Bob Switzer

http://i34.tinypic.com/33fgj9d.jpg