PDA

View Full Version : Bravo shift cables?

Ted
05-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Okay, this is one job I've never done, how hard is it and can anyone give me a quick run down. Any special tools needed? I downloaded the Bravo manual a while back but now my kid has the computer so I can't get to the file. Do I need the manual?

MERPerformance
05-02-2009, 10:36 AM
I'll try to make this the fast and short easy way. Remove drive, undo the cable ajustment on the quadrant that goes to the drive, remove the plastic end piece set screws, threaded section, follow that behind the engine and remove the spiral wrap on the cable, go to the helmet pull the inner cable out, now undo the bellows clamps one is a hose clamp the other is just crimped on, get a 7/16 socket losen the nut were you pulled the cable from,if the cable turns hold it from the back side with a wrench, you may have to tap it alittle once thats free,support the helmet out of your way, get back in the boat and get a piece of welding wire and slide it into the cable to use as a guide to reinstall the new cable, if you can have someone help you it will be alot easier, as you pull the old cable out ensure the wire comes through the transom, make sure the wire is stiff, but not like a coat-hanger that wire will guide the new cable back the way it came out other wise you'll be jaming into the bellhousing, just reverse it from there, the manual will explain gaskets and adjustments. Thats what they don't tell you in the manual, that comes from experience. Hope that helps.

MOBILEMERCMAN
05-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Nice run down. You should change the bellows with the cable too. There are a couple tools needed to adjust it properly once installed.

MERPerformance
05-02-2009, 10:53 PM
I just figured the guy was buying the shift cable kit complete that as you well know, we as professionals do on a regular bases. Thanks for the good comment. 20 yrs of this , I should have it figured out by now. The guy needs a manual of course for the rest of it, trying to rewrite the service manual would take to much time.

Ted
05-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the input. I did the first one yesterday before I saw this post, luckily a good friend (Jay Meyers, Maryland Marine/ Yacht Service- pretty sure Jimmy knows him) was on the cell a couple of times. Your rundown was great, I think I will try and get a few pics when I do the second one and clean the procedure up for some content here on the site (which was why I didn't PM someone, hint, hint). This is a fairly easy deal with your tricks and made a WORLD of difference in how the drive shifted. The only place I varied from what you wrote was we just took the inner cable and slid it back in from the top side and used it as our guide, worked like a dream. Thanks for the responses guys.