PDA

View Full Version : ok....so I threw it out there

jj pantera
10-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Talked today with one of the Directors of our company, and asked questions of a position open in Clearwater, FL. Spread like wild fire. Could be a personally great move for buoy and I. But here we go again, another challenge. Now understand I've been in this profession for 25 years, know it like the back of my hand. The Florida position is exactly what Tim and I had planned over 6 years ago. Any thoughts?

:huh:

Input would be great

Tony
10-28-2008, 09:14 PM
2 questions, does your company have use for an IT person and an asphalt plant manager and or janitor?:D

The past 3 days of this weather have been seriously steering my thoughts to a southern location.

jj pantera
10-28-2008, 09:18 PM
2 questions, does your company have use for an IT person and an asphalt plant manager and or janitor?:D

The past 3 days of this weather have been seriously steering my thoughts to a southern location.

Kentucky is looking for an IT position, as long as it will be approved. Networking is a major plus along with Hardware Support.

JJ

ChiefApache
10-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Talked today with one of the Directors of our company, and asked questions of a position open in Clearwater, FL. Spread like wild fire. Could be a personally great move for buoy and I. But here we go again, another challenge. Now understand I've been in this profession for 25 years, know it like the back of my hand. The Florida position is exactly what Tim and I had planned over 6 years ago. Any thoughts?

:huh:

Input would be great

Opportunities present themselves at the strangest times. Honestly, if a position were to open up in Florida with my company, I would jump on the opportunity.

That's not to say it would be easy. Our family is in Ohio plus we have friends that I know we won't have in Florida (I still hang with 8 or so friends from HS and I'm 46!).

We want to live in Florida. Sounds like you do too. Opportunity is knocking. You should answer the door and see if it's worthwhile.

Tony
10-28-2008, 09:22 PM
I was kidding, well, sort of. I just cant take this freakin cold ass weather and its only been in the low 40s for 3 days.

phragle
10-28-2008, 09:22 PM
been thru there several times going from sarasota to new port richie.. nice area but along 19 it seems like wafflehouse, stripclub, adult bookstore, repeat hehehe

jj pantera
10-28-2008, 09:25 PM
You're exactly right, I was offered my current job unexpectedly. Our families are also in Ohio and we don't see them often enough even though they are only 4 hours away.

By the way my name is Jody and I'm Buoy's wife

JJ

jj pantera
10-28-2008, 09:28 PM
I was kidding, well, sort of. I just cant take this freakin cold ass weather and its only been in the low 40s for 3 days.

Hate the cold weather and down here we don't get snow "We get frickin Ice" and then the hills don't help anything.

:eek:

ChiefApache
10-28-2008, 09:31 PM
You're exactly right, I was offered my current job unexpectedly. Our families are also in Ohio and we don't see them often enough even though they are only 4 hours away.

By the way my name is Jody and I'm Buoy's wife

JJ

Hi Jody! I'm Barb and I'm an offshore forum addict! :sifone:

At this time in my life, I look at it as my time now. I love my kids and I would miss them so much if we moved, but I know we'd be the place where they would want to come and visit LOL!

We talk about moving a lot. It's not easy because my husband (ApacheRob) is self-employed and it would be a matter of what to do with the business. We do have a reliable full time person who we trust to keep things going here, and maybe start another business in FL. I could easily relocate in FL if I really pushed my company, but it would be costly and not in our best interest today.

But if they offered.........:03:

ChiefApache
10-28-2008, 09:32 PM
been thru there several times going from sarasota to new port richie.. nice area but along 19 it seems like wafflehouse, stripclub, adult bookstore, repeat hehehe

That's right in Clearwater. There are many areas within 10-20 miles that are not like that and away from the main Clearwater tourist area.

ChiefApache
10-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Hate the cold weather and down here we don't get snow "We get frickin Ice" and then the hills don't help anything.

:eek:

I'm with Tony...the cold weather really gets to me, and not in a good way. He's still young yet....wait until he reaches his 40's if he thinks it's bad now.

jj pantera
10-28-2008, 09:39 PM
Hi Jody! I'm Barb and I'm an offshore forum addict! :sifone:

At this time in my life, I look at it as my time now. I love my kids and I would miss them so much if we moved, but I know we'd be the place where they would want to come and visit LOL!

We talk about moving a lot. It's not easy because my husband (ApacheRob) is self-employed and it would be a matter of what to do with the business. We do have a reliable full time person who we trust to keep things going here, and maybe start another business in FL. I could easily relocate in FL if I really pushed my company, but it would be costly and not in our best interest today.

But if they offered.........:03:

Barb,

What is your profession???

I'm sometimes uncomfortable with change (seeing as I was in my first job for 17 years). But I'm learning. Just throwing it out on the table. I miss my kid too even though she is 23.

:grouphug:

Tony
10-28-2008, 09:42 PM
I'm with Tony...the cold weather really gets to me, and not in a good way. He's still young yet....wait until he reaches his 40's if he thinks it's bad now.

Ive always hated cold weather with a passion, probably moreso than folks thrice my age. But, I seem to have the same problem, too many roots run too deep. The family is huge and tight. The business and the farm are things I can never walk away from, best I can do is bust ass enought to be able to winter in the sunny south.:26:

Phantom1
10-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Save yourself one move (and being called a halfback) and just come to the Carolinas. Northerners move to Florida...........get clobbered by a hurricane............and move halfway back.............hence the name "halfbacks".

Welcome to the Palmetto State!:26::03::26:

FULL FORCE
10-28-2008, 09:43 PM
I love the idea of Florida too, but friends, family and hurricanes make me stay here, I could not imagine even dealing with one hurricane after seeing alot of pics of Ike, losing everythign you own in some cases, I will stay here and shovel snow..

Buoy
10-28-2008, 09:51 PM
I love the idea of Florida too, but friends, family and hurricanes make me stay here, I could not imagine even dealing with one hurricane after seeing alot of pics of Ike, losing everythign you own in some cases, I will stay here and shovel snow..

Chuck You Farley!!!
I'll put my azz in FL with some storm shutters and some good insurance over ever shoveling snow again.
Haven't really made any "freinds" since I moved here that weren't also transients that are now moving away onto bigger and better things.
Have to remember, we moved to Kentucky, the general people here are everything you'd expect.
Opportunity to move back to FL - even though I was only there for a short time...
Very tempting.

FULL FORCE
10-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Chuck You Farley!!!
I'll put my azz in FL with some storm shutters and some good insurance over ever shoveling snow again.
Haven't really made any "freinds" since I moved here that weren't also transients that are now moving away onto bigger and better things.
Have to remember, we moved to Kentucky, the general people here are everything you'd expect.
Opportunity to move back to FL - even though I was only there for a short time...
Very tempting.

I hear ya, one other thing is that I think i would not be very responsible there, i would not want to work, just play all the time.... winter also allows for savings for the next season..

jj pantera
10-28-2008, 10:05 PM
I hear ya, one other thing is that I think i would not be very responsible there, i would not want to work, just play all the time.... winter also allows for savings for the next season..

Not worried about that, hadn't even crossed my mind. A job is a job, is a job.

Very dedicated, probably almost too much.

Go to work dedicated, and play on the weekends.

JJ

:party:

FULL FORCE
10-28-2008, 10:07 PM
Not worried about that, hadn't even crossed my mind. A job is a job, is a job.

Very dedicated, probably almost too much.

Go to work dedicated, and play on the weekends.

JJ

:party:

I hear ya, I am dedicated but love nice days!

jj pantera
10-28-2008, 10:11 PM
:ack2:

Understandable.......why the hell do we work so hard?????

JJ

FULL FORCE
10-28-2008, 10:14 PM
:ack2:

Understandable.......why the hell do we work so hard?????

JJ

To play hard!

phragle
10-28-2008, 10:16 PM
:lurk5:if you leave kentucky, won't you miss the chicken??

jj pantera
10-28-2008, 10:18 PM
To play hard!

Amen Brother

:26::03::angelsad2:

jj pantera
10-28-2008, 10:20 PM

Crap we have only had KFC twice since we've been here.

:iamwithstupid:

PARADOX
10-28-2008, 10:47 PM
A few quick comments..
I came down from Chicago to Fl. in 94, Can't beat the all year boating season.
People are different a bit. Clearwater is not far from me and they'r OK. Just don't move to Boca.
I been in several hurricanes. No big deal if you are prepaired. Here is the key. We got weeks of warning to get ready or to get out of "Dodge". The midwest tornados gives you about a 2 minute warning. So c'mon down. If it turnd out that this is not what you want or like.. then you make a change, or return.
If you don't do it.. you'l be second guessing for decades.
The only things I ever regret in life are things I DIDN'T do. Anything I done I learned from.. made me stronger, or needed an adjustemnt or correction on the decision.
Besides.. we need some more Serious offshore boaters down here. :biggrinjester:

cosmic12
10-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Go for it. My wife called me today and said it was snowing to beat the band in Syracuse. I am working in San Fran Ca. And am so glad I missed the first snow Idon't have the words to explain. But I do know the words I had to listen to from her today:cuss: We want out sooooo bad, just waiting for the last kid to finish school then its to Fla we go no looking back. I hate the snow cold ice slush slop salt on the roads to eat your car B.S. Go for it you two you won't regret it. :driving:

fund razor
10-29-2008, 07:20 AM
I hear ya, one other thing is that I think i would not be very responsible there, i would not want to work, just play all the time.
Same as Kentucky then. :D

fund razor
10-29-2008, 07:22 AM
No. But he will miss the neighbor, the semi-pro loiterer. ;)

fund razor
10-29-2008, 07:31 AM
I'm sometimes uncomfortable with change (seeing as I was in my first job for 17 years). But I'm learning. Just throwing it out on the table. I miss my kid too even though she is 23.

Couple of things: You are smart. So... you have an excellent chance to take advantage of certain opportunities that are made possible during change. Change can be good. Out of change and challenge comes possibility. Look at OSO... change.... and now we have this. Look at the economy.... more millionaires are created out of these downturns than during better times. Turn over the dirt.... see the new worms.... get your bird on. Not that change for change's sake is all that great.... but when it comes.... ride the wave.

Now... the daughter.... what was a 4 hour drive zero times a year could be a 3-4 hour cheap flight twice a year. And she may be more likely to visit you down there. Heck, most of us would be more likely to visit down there, who am I kidding?

If you had an inclination to make Kentucky home, which you DON'T..... this would seem like a tougher decision for the casual outside observer.

Just make sure that you give your contact info to Tim's good friend next door.:seeya:

cigdaze
10-29-2008, 07:39 AM
Go for it. And as I said to TIM, if you guys need any help in the area, let me know.
:)

ChiefApache
10-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Barb,

What is your profession???

:grouphug:

I do training today and have been donig that for a few years. I train our sales group, distributors, contractors, architects and engineers on our products (which are used primarily in the construction inudstry--sealers, grouts, repair materials etc). I use to manage the techncial department for several years. Been here 11 years and outside sales is also an option.

My daughter is 22, son 19.

ChiefApache
10-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Save yourself one move (and being called a halfback) and just come to the Carolinas. Northerners move to Florida...........get clobbered by a hurricane............and move halfway back.............hence the name "halfbacks".

Welcome to the Palmetto State!:26::03::26:

Love the Caorlinas too. My brother lives in Charlotte.

Bobcat
10-29-2008, 11:59 AM

and alleged cable thief :26:

Sea-Dated
10-29-2008, 03:21 PM
To play hard!

Well said....:sifone:

Buoy
10-29-2008, 06:00 PM

I was on my way back from Nashville about two months ago, and it was around lunch time and I was getting hungry, and thought KFC sounds good. I had to drive over an hour into Kentucky before I found a KFC.
I don't have one closer than 30 minutes from the house. I mean the stuff is pretty good for fast food, but not worth driving a half hour for.

Buoy
10-29-2008, 06:05 PM

Same as Kentucky then. :D

Yep, seems the rest of Kentucky is playing, and us transplants are doing all the work.

jj pantera
10-29-2008, 06:07 PM
You know when Tim and I were dating and he was leaving the area in Toledo to move to Pittsburgh I made the decision to go with him. Left my job of "100" years and family. But I have to admit it was the best decision I had ever made in my life, not including the decision to marry Tim (BROWNIE POINTS :rolleyes:). Learned Change is good.

I can imagine having our "completed" (hint,hint Tim) boat right outside my door and being able to use it every day, if we wish. Nothing is holding us in Kentucky except for work. We will be down in the Clearwater vicinity in November and plan on visiting the Lab that has the open positions.

Could possibly be a great thing.

JJ

jj pantera
10-29-2008, 06:09 PM

I was on my way back from Nashville about two months ago, and it was around lunch time and I was getting hungry, and thought KFC sounds good. I had to drive over an hour into Kentucky before I found a KFC.
I don't have one closer than 30 minutes from the house. I mean the stuff is pretty good for fast food, but not worth driving a half hour for.

Don't they have KFC in Florida, could be the deal breaker.

Buoy
10-29-2008, 06:13 PM

and alleged cable thief :26:

Update on him:
He must've got a job.
If you remember, he started out working for the county with the water district. Got injured at work, after he decided the settlement was too small, he sued.
County asked him to leave his job.
He then went to truck-driving school. Couldn't figure out why no one would hire him with a reckless-op on his record.
Applied at our place of work, and mentioned that he knew us, then asked me to get him in. I immediately told HR that ummm... NO - he's not a good candidate.
Saw him about a week ago getting out of his truck, dark blue uniform type shirt with a patch on it (but I didn't catch what it said), and another patch that read "ID Please".
My only assumption is he is working for Apu at the carryout.

jj pantera
10-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Home > Store Locator Kentucky Fried Chicken

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

STORE ADDRESS DISTANCE BUFFET LATE NIGHT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1960 Gulf To Bay Blvd
Clearwater, FL 33765
(727)446-5935 1.99 miles
Drive It!

956 Patricia Ave
Dunedin, FL 34698
(727)734-2217 2.65 miles
Drive It!

1648 South Missouri Avenue
Clearwater, FL 33756
(727)518-1735 2.98 miles
Drive It!

WHEW!!!! What a relief

fund razor
10-29-2008, 06:19 PM
Update on him:
He must've got a job.
If you remember, he started out working for the county with the water district.
He then went to truck-driving school.

Saw him about a week ago getting out of his truck, dark blue uniform type shirt with a patch on it (but I didn't catch what it said), and another patch that read "ID Please".
My only assumption is he is working for Apu at the carryout.

Carryout school maybe?? :D

Buoy
10-29-2008, 10:00 PM
A few quick comments..
I came down from Chicago to Fl. in 94, Can't beat the all year boating season.
People are different a bit. Clearwater is not far from me and they'r OK. Just don't move to Boca.
I been in several hurricanes. No big deal if you are prepaired. Here is the key. We got weeks of warning to get ready or to get out of "Dodge". The midwest tornados gives you about a 2 minute warning. So c'mon down. If it turnd out that this is not what you want or like.. then you make a change, or return.
If you don't do it.. you'l be second guessing for decades.
The only things I ever regret in life are things I DIDN'T do. Anything I done I learned from.. made me stronger, or needed an adjustemnt or correction on the decision.
Besides.. we need some more Serious offshore boaters down here. :biggrinjester:

I think you're right.
Wise words.
I've been thinking about this alot all day.
We'll be kicking ourselves for not giving this a shot, and the cards are already starting to lay in our favor.

Go for it. My wife called me today and said it was snowing to beat the band in Syracuse. I am working in San Fran Ca. And am so glad I missed the first snow Idon't have the words to explain. But I do know the words I had to listen to from her today:cuss: We want out sooooo bad, just waiting for the last kid to finish school then its to Fla we go no looking back. I hate the snow cold ice slush slop salt on the roads to eat your car B.S. Go for it you two you won't regret it. :driving:

Also, I'm looking right now, and housing is so friggen cheap down there right now, I can buy a place, and once the market turns (and it will) I can sell it as a vacation place and triple the $$

This could be a very good thing for us.

fund razor
10-29-2008, 10:23 PM
I support the idea of an SOS timeshare. Thanks Tim!!

FormulaOne
10-29-2008, 10:37 PM
I'd say take the opportunity. Plus, since Bouy still owes me a beer or two, I'll have to fly down there to get it.

Seriously though, I was debating two new jobs. One with the option to relo basically anywhere in the US (within reason). I almost took this one with the plan to move to sunny FL. The other job option has a few offices in FL that may be a transfer option in the future. Untimately, I will be in Florida within the next ten yrs while I'm in my 30's.

If it was me in your shoes, I'd make the move now while you're "young".

Bobcat
10-29-2008, 11:42 PM
kfc...that's baby sh*t (in jackie gleasons voice) ......down here we have dions fried chicken, or as we call it ,"gas station chicken" , it is awesome & cheap(just do not get any on your clothes, a pin size drop of grease will leave a half dollar size stain )

Buoy
10-30-2008, 05:49 PM
I'd say take the opportunity. Plus, since Bouy still owes me a beer or two, I'll have to fly down there to get it.

Yeah, I'm not sure who owes who at this point.
Me and Fund had the same thing going on for awhile.
We still each owe each other a few thousand beers...

Alot going on, and things tend to happen VERY quickly with this Co. We'll take a look around the week before T-giving, and if we decide yes, it wouldn't surprise me if we're there before Christmas.
Definitely leaning strongly on going.

inbetween
10-30-2008, 06:35 PM
You guys are makin' me jealous. Someday I'll have the opportunity to head south.

jj pantera
10-30-2008, 07:09 PM
You guys are makin' me jealous. Someday I'll have the opportunity to head south.

I believe this is fate, and finally convinced buoy there is such a thing.

The idea was ran up the "human resource" flag pole yesterday afternoon, I just found this out this morning. Looks good so far, just have to make the decision. That'll come in a few weeks when we visit the facility on our vacation. :party:

open72
10-30-2008, 07:17 PM

car title loans , pawn shops , and check cashing stores too....

go for it tim !

MacGyver
10-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Tim, with all the BS with the neighborhood watchdogs, I'm surprised the moving van hasn't been idling in your driveway http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c283/sparkyrick/evilB.gif

Buoy
10-30-2008, 08:07 PM
car title loans , pawn shops , and check cashing stores too....

go for it tim !
Eric - I entered this world in Treasure Island - 12 miles away from the new gig - and have always wanted to go back. Some of the locations phragle mentioned aren't necessarily a bad thing to have in the vicinity.
12 miles is an easy commute.

Tim, with all the BS with the neighborhood watchdogs, I'm surprised the moving van hasn't been idling in your driveway http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c283/sparkyrick/evilB.gif
Who said it isn't? I'm already eyeing and stashing boxes at work.
I'm already looking around the house trying to figure out how I'm going to get all this crap packed up for the movers, and where/how I'm going to get my torn apart boat...
Thinking about a rental place for a few months that will let us bring the dogs - not like there is anything else I can, or would do with them.
Just trying to work out the logistics of this in my head.
The only thing stopping us from doing this is our decision and the coin.

It was a helluva lot easier to pick up and move a few hundred miles when you had nothing, or where leaving it all behind.

jj pantera
10-30-2008, 08:09 PM
I wonder if Clearwater has Cornhole tournaments????

MacGyver
10-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Thinking about a rental place for a few months that will let us bring the dogs - not like there is anything else I can, or would do with them.

Gotta keep the K9's happy too :biggrinjester:

jj pantera
10-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Absolutely....both of us just keep growing with the company. Never thought I would get the oppurtunities that have been given to us. Great company to work for, great people. Never Malcontent, just very positive.

JJ

ChiefApache
10-31-2008, 06:08 AM
I believe this is fate, and finally convinced buoy there is such a thing.

The idea was ran up the "human resource" flag pole yesterday afternoon, I just found this out this morning. Looks good so far, just have to make the decision. That'll come in a few weeks when we visit the facility on our vacation. :party:

Like I said, opportunity is knocking.........

ChiefApache
10-31-2008, 06:09 AM
I wonder if Clearwater has Cornhole tournaments????

On the beach??? You could start a new trend there.

Ms PatriYacht
10-31-2008, 02:21 PM
JJ I can't get used to Buoy's wife being on the offshore boards, it's great you can help keep him line :D

I wish I could move down south, I work from home and could do my job from anywhere but Mr P/Ian is stuck at GM. Of course even if we could move, selling our house would not be easy. Do you own a house you would have trouble selling, I think that is a big reason so many people are staying put, they can't sell their house.

What does the company do that you both work for,

jj pantera
10-31-2008, 04:56 PM
JJ I can't get used to Buoy's wife being on the offshore boards, it's great you can help keep him line :D

I wish I could move down south, I work from home and could do my job from anywhere but Mr P/Ian is stuck at GM. Of course even if we could move, selling our house would not be easy. Do you own a house you would have trouble selling, I think that is a big reason so many people are staying put, they can't sell their house.

What does the company do that you both work for,

Hi,

I definitely don't keep buoy in line, that would wear me out. He does what he does, not in a bad way. We own our home and have thought about what a problem it would be to sell it, if it doesn't sell we will rent it. Got into the home pretty reasonable and with buoy being a carpenter in his past life we have made several upgrades. We both work for the same company and make eyeglasses, abot 1000 a day. I am the current production manager and buoy's position is consumables or as they call it "regulatory officer", whatever.

JJ