PDA

View Full Version : Sea water fuel pump questions

niceguy
04-27-2009, 08:14 PM
So when you guys swap to an electric pump, do you just use a regular FP cover to block the spot where the old mercury OEM pump was? Or do you have to change the entire assembly?

MERPerformance
04-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Why are you going to an electric pump?

niceguy
04-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Well ... to be honest, I thought it would clean things up a bit and get a little more flow for the new combo I am going to begin in a few months.

Is there a better option? I am open to suggestions. Looking to only make between 575-600 on a single carb app.

Let me know what you guys think. I am a drag racer by nature, so I sometimes I get a little carried away.

VetteLT193
04-27-2009, 09:08 PM
your title is a bit confusing... I assume we are just talking Fuel pump, and not the raw water pump, correct?

If it is just the fuel pump, Holley makes a nice marine line. The Blue one will suit your needs. The blue comes with the separate FP regulator, so make sure you have a fuel psi gauge to dial it in.

Personally, I REALLY like the electric fuel pump and have no idea why anyone wouldn't have one.

MERPerformance
04-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Well if you are going to make more power, you better do something with the fuel system. I always use a pump from CV Products, either it's a Gen iv block mount or merc style on the water pump housing. Nickle plated, billet alum. $450.00 you'll never buy another one 100% rebuild. I use that same style pump on 1000HP + Different press settings. Electric is ok by me if cost is factor, the only thing I have used a holley blue pump for is to prime the fuel lines, like a 41 Apache with 5 fuel tanks.

niceguy
04-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Sorry for the confusion... yes we are talking about the Mercury fuel pump that is currently mounted on the sea water pump.

Ok, so going back to the original question.... when you use an electric pump, do you simply block off the place where the Mercury pump used to go on the sea water pump?

Yeah I was wanting to use the Holley Black marine pump... I think it will clean things up and I can make it look supa-dupa with all the black fittings and lines.