PDA

View Full Version : Replacing old style hatch vents on a Cafe/TG

Seafordguy
04-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Question for those of you that replaced your old square vents on the hatch side with the newer "tear drop" shaped ones.

What all was involved? Were you able to buy the vents and then was it simply a matter of cutting the fiberglass to the correct shape or was there patching/painting/etc... involved?

I've got my hatch off and I was just thinking that maybe I should look into it.

Vents that are in the lower left corner of this pic on the outside of the hatch are the ones I am talking about....

SKRAMER
04-27-2009, 09:10 PM
I made a mold and glassed my own. Lots of work!!!

Seafordguy
04-28-2009, 08:46 AM
I was going to single you out because I thought your's had been changed but I scoured pictures of your boat and didn't see any up close enough that I could tell.

Your's look very nice - I assume you didn't make 6 extra just for fun :o

Sydwayz
04-28-2009, 12:34 PM
If you contact Steve Knowles at Progressive Boat Works in Chesterfield, VA; he can do this for you. He has molds for these ducts and he does fantastic work.

Buoy
04-28-2009, 12:40 PM
You may want to have a look at this thread.
http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3210

Seafordguy
04-28-2009, 03:01 PM
If you contact Steve Knowles at Progressive Boat Works in Chesterfield, VA; he can do this for you. He has molds for these ducts and he does fantastic work.

I will contact him and see what he says. I am now fighting the clock and the checkbook.

You may want to have a look at this thread.
http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3210

That is a good Link BOUY - Thanks. If I decide to put it off maybe I could attempt to create them myself during the summer after things slow down a little bit. His appeared to come out pretty nice.

Buoy
04-28-2009, 04:36 PM
That is a good Link BOUY - Thanks. If I decide to put it off maybe I could attempt to create them myself during the summer after things slow down a little bit. His appeared to come out pretty nice.

PM him, I think he's a newer guy to the board, he may be able to offer some suggestions, or even loan you the mold he made if you want to do it yourself.

insanity
04-28-2009, 05:10 PM
I made a mold and glassed my own. Lots of work!!!

When/why did you change from the outside hydraulic steering to the inside (of the drives that is)?

SKRAMER
04-28-2009, 08:00 PM
I was going to single you out because I thought your's had been changed but I scoured pictures of your boat and didn't see any up close enough that I could tell.

Your's look very nice - I assume you didn't make 6 extra just for fun :o

I don't have any extra. Sorry

SKRAMER
04-28-2009, 08:01 PM
When/why did you change from the outside hydraulic steering to the inside (of the drives that is)?

My steering is on the outside of my drives..Always

insanity
04-28-2009, 09:22 PM
My steering is on the outside of my drives..Always

My bad, I must have been thinking of Scarab3DMC's setup. :D

Seafordguy
04-29-2009, 10:33 AM

Sydwayz - I just spoke with him and he is going to work me up a price. Was real familiar from having done Steve Greshem's cafe - I have seen his once in person and remember it looking real nice, was looking for some more pictures but it isn't in classifieds anymore.

Thanks for the lead.....

BDiggity
04-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Sydwayz - I just spoke with him and he is going to work me up a price. Was real familiar from having done Steve Greshem's cafe - I have seen his once in person and remember it looking real nice, was looking for some more pictures but it isn't in classifieds anymore.

Thanks for the lead.....

i will be interested in hearing your estimate. thats something i wanted to do to my hatch in the next season or so.

LotoSteve
04-29-2009, 10:50 AM
i will be interested in hearing your estimate. thats something i wanted to do to my hatch in the next season or so.

Vincent Custom Paint has done several.

BDiggity
04-29-2009, 01:52 PM

and thats much closer!

Sea-Dated
04-29-2009, 02:16 PM

and thats much closer!

He does great work.....

Frank A
05-01-2009, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the lead.....

Let me know, I am veryinterested as well. I am planning on repainting the boat this winter. Maybe we can get a package deal.

SKRAMER
05-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Just painted the underside of my hatch!!

boomer35
05-15-2009, 12:33 PM

i love that idea

CRT
05-15-2009, 01:33 PM

Looks Awesome!

BDiggity
05-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Looks great! Is yours all glass underneath? Mine is wood, but mine also looks raised compared to your guys'. Mine is about 5-6" higer up towards the front & then drops off towards the back. Not sure if its cause the 250's needed some more height.