PDA

View Full Version : Can't Get Drives to go all the way down

Seafordguy
04-25-2009, 05:44 PM
They will go all the way up but they stop going down about 3 inches before the travel on the trim rams is supposed to be shut.

Took the drives off and have the same problem, can't get the rams to move that last bit.

Tried to tap it with a 2x4 while someone operated the switch to no avail - they worked 100% about 6 weeks ago.

Any thoughts?

B1

old377guy
04-25-2009, 06:54 PM
1.) did you really remove the outdrives? 2.) is it happening to both drives?
3.) is there sufficient hydraulic fluid in the trim pumps? 4.) how may times did you run them up and down? (could just need to purge air from the system) 5.) assuming that trim pumps, solenoids, switches, and fluids are ok, then you may have a bit of gunk in the valve body - check valve. This is a relatively easy fix. - Jeff

Buoy
04-25-2009, 06:59 PM
I am probably one of the least knowledgeable on this type of subject, but I had this problem once on a TRS.
There were little "dial" meters on each side, or maybe just one side of the outdrive that acted as limit switches to tell the trim motor when it was fully up, or fully down, and shut off the trim motor when it hit the limit.
If I recall correctly, it was a single screw in the center of a round "puck" about 1/4" thick on the side of the outdrive that had cogs inbetween the two pieces to keep it "calibrated".
Loosen the screw, and reset the down limit.
I hope it is something simple like this for you.
I remember spending hours chasing this down, and it was so simple you felt like smacking yourself with a hammer.
Good luck - hope that is all it is.

old377guy
04-25-2009, 07:22 PM
I am probably one of the least knowledgeable on this type of subject, but I had this problem once on a TRS.
There were little "dial" meters on each side, or maybe just one side of the outdrive that acted as limit switches to tell the trim motor when it was fully up, or fully down, and shut off the trim motor when it hit the limit.
If I recall correctly, it was a single screw in the center of a round "puck" about 1/4" thick on the side of the outdrive that had cogs inbetween the two pieces to keep it "calibrated".
Loosen the screw, and reset the down limit.
I hope it is something simple like this for you.
I remember spending hours chasing this down, and it was so simple you felt like smacking yourself with a hammer.
Good luck - hope that is all it is.

buoy, the items that you refer to are the electric trim sending units (notoriously unreliable)

Buoy
04-25-2009, 08:31 PM
buoy, the items that you refer to are the electric trim sending units (notoriously unreliable)

Yep, And that's why I thought I'd throw it out there.
Very simple adjustment, but a real b!tch to realize it was something so simple.
Hope it's that easy for Seaford.

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-25-2009, 09:40 PM

Yep, And that's why I thought I'd throw it out there.
Very simple adjustment, but a real b!tch to realize it was something so simple.
Hope it's that easy for Seaford.

Those limit switches only effect the up side,

I would look at whether there is corrosion present at the trim cylinder end cap. Salt water boats tend to have a problem with corrosion there.. As salt builds up in the end cap between the seals it begins to expand and pinch the cylinder rods. They can become so tight the down { low pressure side} of the trim pump cannot move them. Typically if you release the fluid the cylinders will retract from gravity. If they stay out with a line open they are binding.

Bo-G13
04-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Does the pump stop working or is it humming with no movement (hate it when that happens!! :sifone: ).
If the pump stops then you have a limit switch issue...if the pump stays on and ram stops moving then you most likely have some air in your lines, which should not happen unless you have a leak somewhere, or you are low on fluid.
Good luck...

Tomas Wallin
04-26-2009, 06:52 AM
Put the drive back on and put some weight on it and try to bring it in. Don't force it since that might do more damage than good. But a big enough guy standing on the drive might do it.

Seafordguy
04-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts guys - I guess when I get them back on after this project I will see if a bunch of weight does it and they just are corroded.