PDA

View Full Version : This is not good for New Jersey races

Hauling Trash
04-24-2009, 10:26 PM
Race cancellations
MILLVILLE NJ APRIL 24-26: Our Divisional race at Laurel Lake, Millville, NJ has been cancelled due to the NJ State Police requesting water safety certificates from all drivers in and out of state. Since the majority of drivers in APBA do not possess this certificate, we had no recourse except to cancel the race on such short notice.
—Jill Glossner/Chief Scorer

NOTE: Anyone intending to race at any event (not just outboards) in NEW JERSEY will need proof that they have taken the NEW JERSEY Boating Safety test. A boating safety course from another state won't work; it has to be the NEW JERSEY test. This will affect all events in NEW JERSEY. Those from out of state may take the test at www.boat-ed.com . The cost is $39.50 upon passing the test. Afterward, an in-person test is also required. For testing dates, check out www.thinkboatingsafety.com , www.njboatsafety.com or www.coastboatingschool.com

Hauling Trash
04-24-2009, 10:39 PM
This is not good for Point and New York (sbi)

Ratickle
04-24-2009, 10:41 PM
Get the counterfitters out. Where's Stecz?

Who knows what's goin on? There has got to be a way around this.

2TR
04-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Get the counterfitters out. Where's Stecz?

Who knows what's goin on? There has got to be a way around this.

If it wasn't the state police I would consider it.. :mad:

phragle
04-24-2009, 11:36 PM
simple...a group class is held at the drivers meeting. problem solved.

2TR
04-25-2009, 12:29 AM
Do both the driver and throttleman need the cert. or just one of the two need it?

Sean Stinson
04-25-2009, 08:31 AM
Do both the driver and throttleman need the cert. or just one of the two need it?

I am pretty sure anyone who is in control of any aspect of the boat during it's operation....Contact DaveP he is in the loop on alot of this stuff!!!! He can give you insight I am sure.... I like the driver meeting test idea for those of you who don't have it!!!!

TYPHOON
04-25-2009, 06:31 PM
I believe my mothers friend Bob teaches that class for the Coast Guard Reserves. If you want me to ask him if he can teach a group class I will.
MD

Sean Stinson
04-26-2009, 08:15 AM
The test isn't really hard at all it's just common sense....I think it is now a 2 part test one part book work and one part hands on or something like that I am not sure exactly how it is laid out now I took mine and just had to take a test....

Ratickle
04-26-2009, 08:22 AM
Online it looks like there are a lot of places set up already for the in person test. What does the in person test entail? Do they watch you drive a boat?

Sean Stinson
04-26-2009, 08:25 AM
When I did mine the instructor came to a specified location because we had a group that got together to take it, about 12 people, and consisted of about 2 hours of class and discussion with a test at the end!!!! It was basic common sense stuff but now I hear that there is more to the test, maybe a hands on part, but I am not sure what the deal is and haven't looked it up!!!!

DaveP
04-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Guys....I'm calling Bullsh*t on this one. I have attended many NJ Boat Regulation Commission meetings and unless the person is in NJ for an extended period of time it is IMPOSSIBLE to require everyone to have a NJ Boating Certificate.

For example: For someone from NY is going to FL by boat and choses to take the Intercoastal waterway in NJ instead of running offshore, they do not need to have a NJ boating certificate or any other.

Ratickle
04-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Guys....I'm calling Bullsh*t on this one. I have attended many NJ Boat Regulation Commission meetings and unless the person is in NJ for an extended period of time it is IMPOSSIBLE to require everyone to have a NJ Boating Certificate.

For example: For someone from NY is going to FL by boat and choses to take the Intercoastal waterway in NJ instead of running offshore, they do not need to have a NJ boating certificate or any other.

Are you gonna look into it Dave? Hate it if it's a rumor causing panic.

DaveP
04-26-2009, 07:20 PM
I can say with 1000% confidence she is either mistaken or the trooper that she is dealing with is mistaken.

Mike - have her call me and I will find out what Trooper she is dealing with and I will get this misunderstanding rectified. :)

Sean Stinson
04-27-2009, 09:16 AM
AAAHHH the voice of god has spoken!!!! I had that thought in the back of my mind but you know Jersey is somewhat different than any other place I have been!!!! I have also received way more one on one interaction with New Jersey's fine State Police than any other place in the world!!!!!!

Ratickle
04-27-2009, 09:20 AM
I had that thought in the back of my mind but you know Jersey is somewhat different than any other place I have been!!!!

Yeah, Stecz lives there, nuff said....

DaveP
04-27-2009, 11:48 AM
Ok - I spoke to Trooper Rich Brown at NJSP HQ in Trenton and he is "the man" when it comes to the marine regs and laws.

The TRUTH IS: That they are now requiring all racers to have proof of passing a NASBLA Certified Safe Boating Course (USCG, Power Squadron, Private Certified Party.)

So....

NEW JERSEY RACERS: Must posess a NJ Safe Boating Card issued by NJSP

OUT OF STATE RACERS: Must posess some proof of passing a Certified Safe Boating Course ..... BUT IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE FROM THE STATE OF NJ. It can be from any NASBLA approved entity outside of NJ.

What does NASBLA stand for: National Association of State Boating Law Administrators

Now Stinson don't get that confused with NAMBLA.....

2TR
04-27-2009, 12:20 PM
What do I know about "safe boating"? I just race them ... I'm screwed :biggrinjester:

Thanks for clearing this up.