PDA

View Full Version : Best Benz forum?

Sydwayz
04-22-2009, 11:35 AM
I'd like to pick up a 97-99 S 500/CL500 Coupe as a driver someday, and I'd like some places to browse classifieds and learn specifics about the cars.

Can anyone suggest the better forums to keep an eye on?

Thanks!

txriverrat2001
04-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Let me know $$ you want to spend and color and I'll get the guys here to keep a look out for ya....

Equipment?

Miles?

LotoSteve
04-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Best one I could find. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/

Pachanga
04-23-2009, 07:27 AM
By far the best for AMG's http://www.mbworld.org/forums/

JupiterSunsation
04-23-2009, 09:10 AM
I'd like to pick up a 97-99 S 500/CL500 Coupe as a driver someday, and I'd like some places to browse classifieds and learn specifics about the cars.

Can anyone suggest the better forums to keep an eye on?

Thanks!

Unless you are fluent in German and plan on smuggling in a mechanic from the old country you will never want a 10+ year old Mercedes as a "driver." Those were very advanced cars for their time, an E or C class can easily be a driver but an S/ SL/CL car is going to be very pricey to fix (as in purchase price could easily be duplicated in repairwork in the first couple years of ownership). Call the dealer and ask what a new Key fob costs, the old jackknife keys are famous for falling apart. Don't be shocked when you find a key is $200....

jhenrie
04-23-2009, 09:28 AM
I get a lot of those cars in the shop. Like J S said they can eat you up in parts and service. That being said there are some really nice out there at reasonable cost but you will enjoy the whole dealership experience at some point.

straightpriority
04-23-2009, 09:30 AM
get a 03 or so cl!

Pachanga
04-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Keys are a pain in the arse to get now as well. You have to go in with title in hand! They will not even allow a dealer to order a key unless it is titled in the dealerships name and they present the title! Dealer to dealer cost is a tad over $200.

Unless you are fluent in German and plan on smuggling in a mechanic from the old country you will never want a 10+ year old Mercedes as a "driver." Those were very advanced cars for their time, an E or C class can easily be a driver but an S/ SL/CL car is going to be very pricey to fix (as in purchase price could easily be duplicated in repairwork in the first couple years of ownership). Call the dealer and ask what a new Key fob costs, the old jackknife keys are famous for falling apart. Don't be shocked when you find a key is $200....

Chris
04-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Thats the downside of these older "bargain" imports. They may be $15 thousand dollar cars, but the parts are still parts for $85 thousand dollar cars. I have a pal that learned the hard way on a Porsche 925 bargain exotic. The absolute worst is a V-12 BMW. The maintenance costs are lethal.

But in the end, you're driving a Benz on the cheap. Maybe it's not the same as maintaining a Taurus or a Camry but it's a damn nice ride.

jayboat
04-24-2009, 09:19 AM
I found a very cool site (http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/) (ok, they found me... but that's another story) that covers all kinds of imports/exotics. Lots of info and some cool people- even some of the right-wingers are ok. :)

They even have a performance boats section- the owner of the site (used to own the Rennspeed forum) is a Cig fanatic.

Sydwayz
04-24-2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks guys. I really like the style of that car, and will step carefully. To me, they are like the "Monte Carlo" of MB. I love a great full size V8 Coupe. I don't want a modded or AMG car. I just want a stock interstate driver with some nice wheels.

Pachanga
04-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Definately look into an extended warranty if you can get one. The dealer I bought my 03 E55 from sold me a 5yr 60,000 mile extended warranty that covers about everything for $2800! That was $100 bucks over his cost. It is already paying for itself. The LCD display on my stereo went out. Had to replace the whole radio to the tune of almost $900 for a remanufactured one.

If ya loose a motor in an AMG like mine it will set ya back to the tune of over $20K!

JupiterSunsation
05-06-2009, 09:41 AM
If ya loose a motor in an AMG like mine it will set ya back to the tune of over $20K!

that is when you send if off to Renntech to get the new one....

Lucky for me they are two towns away...

MarylandMark
05-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Don't be shocked when you find a key is $200....

Blah- to get a new key and have it programmed for my 06 F350 it cost that much. I do agree; just think that is a bad example since all the keys with chips in them are a couple hundy

I just want a stock interstate driver with some nice wheels.

:rofl:

Pachanga
05-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Damn! Your dealer reemed you! New key and remote out the door for me on my 07 250 was less than $75!

Blah- to get a new key and have it programmed for my 06 F350 it cost that much. I do agree; just think that is a bad example since all the keys with chips in them are a couple hundy

:rofl:

JupiterSunsation
05-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Damn! Your dealer reemed you! New key and remote out the door for me on my 07 250 was less than $75!

What MM got ripped off? Blasphemy.............:sifone: