PDA

View Full Version : Carb rebuild

Buoy
04-21-2009, 06:59 PM
I've got a Holley 750 that I need to rebuild.
I've never rebuilt a carb...
Forgive me, and flame on
I see there are several types of kits available.
What do I need?
Can anyone help with P/N's or any tips?

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Is it acting up and/or dumping fuel or are you just inclined to clean it?

If the latter is true you can just get the bowl and metering block gaskets along with the screw washers. They are common on most or all carbs. Reusable ones are available I suggest you get them. The work is in cleaning the stubborn stuck gasket material. The surfaces have a ridge in them and makes it time consuming. A complete kit will have floats, power valves, needle and seat, and accel pumps too. Most of these components you can buy separately.

There will be a Holley number stamped in the center section somewhere that is the reference number you need when ordering a complete kit.

If it is dumping while running the first thing to do is check the float level and adjust. If it won't adjust it is easy to pull the needle and seat out as one and check. A little piece of debris there will cause it to dump when running. You can do this with out taking anything else off or apart.

Buoy
04-24-2009, 11:41 AM
It's a used carb, and my engine builder took a look at it and highly suggested a rebuild on it.
Through a pm Airpacker was able to get me the part number I need.
The number stamped on the air horn is 9015 1600.
P/N for the rebuild kit is 3-720, although I couldn't find it on the Holley website.
It shows up on Jeg's site, and appears to be the correct kit.
Jeg's has a 10-17 day lead time...
Any suggestions of where else to get it that won't take 3 weeks before I order from Jegs?

niceguy
04-30-2009, 11:29 PM
As silly as it sounds, google the part number you need and it should give you a few places that carry it. Maybe even call them and have them put their hands on it to make sure they have it.

Mrhorsepower1
05-01-2009, 08:41 AM
give me a call , I can sell you the correct rebuild kit and give you the correct advice on the entire set up of the carb. Thanks!

Dean Gellner
(216) 398-8500

niceguy
05-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Dean, I would like to get a kit too (for mine). I will call you today as well.

Buoy
05-01-2009, 10:48 AM
I already placed the order last week with Jegs.
Airpacker on the board here gave me some help with the correct part Number.
Thanks for the offers - I'm still open to any tips/tricks.

Ted
05-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Since you're in there, change the level plugs in the side of the bowls to clear plastic site plugs. This will keep you from having to open the plugs and spill fuel to adjust the float levels, obviously any spilled fuel in a boat is a big deal.

Geronimo36
05-01-2009, 11:11 AM
I already placed the order last week with Jegs.
Airpacker on the board here gave me some help with the correct part Number.
Thanks for the offers - I'm still open to any tips/tricks.

I always like to pull the bowls off, turn them upside down and note the height of the floats before disassembling so when you put it back together you can get pretty close on the float heights and only simple adjustment is needed when you run it.

Also, note the positions of all the idle mixture screws, then slowly turn them in until they bottom out. Don't make them tight, you'll mess up the needle. When turning them in until they bottom out, note the number of turns it took to bottom out. This is helpful when you re-assemble the carb so you have a good ballpark of where the mixture screws need to be. If you forget to record the number of turns on the screws, 1 1/2 turns is usually pretty close.

I also like to adjust the accellerator pumps a little differently than factory with almost zero lash, just making sure they don't bottom out. I found it gave better low rpm reaction time.

Geronimo36
05-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Since you're in there, change the level plugs in the side of the bowls to clear plastic site plugs. This will keep you from having to open the plugs and spill fuel to adjust the float levels, obviously any spilled fuel in a boat is a big deal.

In my experience those plastic plugs break really easily, I don't ever use them. Just ask my buddy Billy on here, he'll tell ya!.

Ted
05-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Really? I must have gotten good ones, used them for about 3 years on a boat I used to have. Of course that was a while back, they probably make them in China now.