PDA

View Full Version : Vandalism damage

old377guy
04-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Hey Dave, I need some advice on repairing some paint damage. The side of my boat was keyed while at the dock last year and left about 50 1/4 inch round "scratches" in about a 3 foot long by 10" wide band. For background info, my boat was Imroned white several years ago and the paint is in fair to good condition. I've filled in each "divit" with 3 successive layers of paint; below each hole is a drop where the paint ran that is about 1/16 inch thick. What do I do now? I've got some 320 and 600 wet/dry sheets, a 10" sanding block and some 3M marine rubbing compound. Help. - Jeff

Ratickle
04-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Hey Dave, I need some advice on repairing some paint damage. The side of my boat was keyed while at the dock last year and left about 50 1/4 inch round "scratches" in about a 3 foot long by 10" wide band. For background info, my boat was Imroned white several years ago and the paint is in fair to good condition. I've filled in each "divit" with 3 successive layers of paint; below each hole is a drop where the paint ran that is about 1/16 inch thick. What do I do now? I've got some 320 and 600 wet/dry sheets, a 10" sanding block and some 3M marine rubbing compound. Help. - Jeff

Told you not to hit on that guy's girl......:sifone:

old377guy
04-18-2009, 02:58 PM
live and learn:rofl:

MarylandMark
04-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Ouch!

Griff
04-18-2009, 04:49 PM
That sucks!!!!!! Sounds like a good time to have 10" wide graphic stripe added.

glassdave
04-19-2009, 01:13 AM
I'm having some trouble understanding what has been done so far. You filled each little scratch with paint and it ran? Did you spray the sides or were yoy trying to fill each chip individually?

old377guy
04-19-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm having some trouble understanding what has been done so far. You filled each little scratch with paint and it ran? Did you spray the sides or were yoy trying to fill each chip individually?

Dave, I used a small artist brush and dabbed paint into each scratch individually; each one has a small run. So do I sand down the area? Thanks - Jeff

old377guy
04-19-2009, 03:23 PM
That sucks!!!!!! Sounds like a good time to have 10" wide graphic stripe added.

now there's a thought:biggrinjester:

Offshoredrillin
04-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Flat razor blade and scrape the run down, then wet sand and buff. hold the razor blade straight vertically and it will knock it down like this... |

old377guy
04-19-2009, 04:39 PM
thanks rob, i'll give it a try - jeff

glassdave
04-19-2009, 11:00 PM
yep. be careful though with the blade. Best thing to do is take a piece of a wood paint stick and wrap a piece of sandpsaper around it and block it down with that. you actually have to use a fairly course grit (by color sanding standards) and slowley knock the high spots down to a point where you can use a finer grit. I would probably glide 600 over it to get started and ass the level starts to approach the surface start to step up the grits. If you start with finer stuff like 1000 you will never be able to level it. at any rate the repairs will still be visible but I'm sure an improvment.

old377guy
04-20-2009, 11:00 AM
thanks Dave, I appreciate the advice- Jeff

Chris
04-20-2009, 11:41 AM
You can buy a run shaver at an autobody supply store. it's like a miniature block plane that uses a single-edge razor blade.

Imron is way tougher than regular paints. I don't know what kind of success you're going to have. You'll get best results a couple days after painting. After a week, it's much harder. If you do any sanding on it, use the absolute finest paper you can and take your time.

FWIW, Magnum paints every one of their hulls with Imron. Even those monster 80 footers. The spray it right in the shop- no booth. Then they wet sand the entire hull by hand.

glassdave
04-20-2009, 11:48 AM
you will never level the surface using the finest paper, you really need to knock the tops down first than step up to the finer stuff. Thats why its important to glide the courser paper over just the tops. Its not easy but the only way to do it.

yikes . . . wet sanding an 80 by hand :eek: . . . they do look good though.

old377guy
04-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks again guys. If it turns out ok, I'll post a photo, if not, well.............

Excalibur Racing
04-22-2009, 10:04 AM
DuPont has issued a response about 30 years ago to buffing, don't buff Imron it will scar the paint it will lose it's sheen. Paint a stripe. Two part polyurethanes are really rubber. Let activated Imron cure in a bowl= rubber.

old377guy
04-22-2009, 11:28 AM
yikes; thanks excalibur, i haven't done anything yet - i'm gonna proceed very carefully - jeff

Chris
04-24-2009, 02:03 PM
DuPont has issued a response about 30 years ago to buffing, don't buff Imron it will scar the paint it will lose it's sheen. Paint a stripe. Two part polyurethanes are really rubber. Let activated Imron cure in a bowl= rubber.

Yeah- I've seen it and I've heard it from their tech reps at least a few times. But I was in the Magnum shop the day before Thanksgiving last year and watched them wetting out a 70 by hand.

old377guy
04-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Yeah- I've seen it and I've heard it from their tech reps at least a few times. But I was in the Magnum shop the day before Thanksgiving last year and watched them wetting out a 70 by hand.

regular folks are out shopping for turkey and cranberry - but no, you all are at the Magnum shop ...

04-24-2009, 04:33 PM
FWIW, Magnum paints every one of their hulls with Imron. Even those monster 80 footers. The spray it right in the shop- no booth. Then they wet sand the entire hull by hand.

Isn't that stuff hard on the lungs and CNS? I would think the overspray lofting around is a pain to deal with too. Not arguing the result, just wondering about the technique.

Mitcher T
04-24-2009, 06:57 PM
We use wet-sanding stones here. You can get them at any auto body supply store. They look like small knife sharpening stones. If you use a 400 grit stone with some mild soapy water, it will knock down your touch up exactly to the surface. Once there, then finish with some 2000 grit wet paper by hand (lightly) and it will buff back. White is very forgiving and Imron does buff back. Not as easily as other paints, but it will come back if you are patient enough.

old377guy
04-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Thanks, Mitcher. I really appreciate the great response from the gang in helping me fix this. - Jeff

glassdave
04-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Hey Mitch how do the stones work on fresh paint? like day or two old?. Usually if i get a run (which is very rare :D ) i like to let that go for a few extra days before i try and address it but once in a while if a do some retail on a car or something i have to push it through the shop.