PDA

View Full Version : #6 drive skeg question

ProMod
04-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Our fabricator welding several seasons of shark bites as well as flattened out some ripples and has now highly polished our Drysump 6 drive alum skegs.
They are now symmetrical Port and Starboard as to thickness and flatness.

What is the fasted finish, brushed ? Painted? Polished? and if it's brushed as most have told me do we use 80 grit 60 grit ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Glen

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-24-2009, 10:55 AM
I would use something in the 220 to 360 range . 60 or 80 is way too course.

Personally I would keep them polished. The speed difference is nearly immeasurable in most cases. IMO

ProMod
04-27-2009, 10:02 PM
I would use something in the 220 to 360 range . 60 or 80 is way too course.

Personally I would keep them polished. The speed difference is nearly immeasurable in most cases. IMO

Thanks for the advice I cant wait to try them just the way they are.

The guys that repaired them 3 years back welded and painted them but never straighten the skeg.

The one large 4" x 1 1/2" shark bite or obliterated log hit from 3 seasons ago had bent our Port skeg approx 3/16 of an inch hopefully that was what our handling issues were as to crabbing as we run into the 150s !

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-27-2009, 10:17 PM
At your speeds that is a big bend. I suspect it will act better now they are straight.

Offshoredrillin
04-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Our fabricator welding several seasons of shark bites as well as flattened out some ripples and has now highly polished our Drysump 6 drive alum skegs.
They are now symmetrical Port and Starboard as to thickness and flatness.

What is the fasted finish, brushed ? Painted? Polished? and if it's brushed as most have told me do we use 80 grit 60 grit ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Glen
wow, I'm looking at a set of wet with the old style skeg, being in md I may have your guy update them for me. I have some stuff in the works...lol :sifone:

Geronimo36
04-28-2009, 09:41 PM
wow, I'm looking at a set of wet with the old style skeg, being in md I may have your guy update them for me. I have some stuff in the works...lol :sifone:

Rob, a few weeks ago you were tellin me to leave my boat alone and don't mess with it! ;)

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-28-2009, 10:09 PM
I noticed the gearcase in the first pic is different form the cases in the second. The second appear to be swept back skegs.

It will be hard to keep the polished finish looking good. It may be easier to sand them in the end. I used to clean and oil them on the race boats every time it hit the water and polish them again before leaving for each race.

ProMod
04-29-2009, 05:53 AM

Let me know when your ready and depending on what you are doing ,wet to drysump? blue print skeg?transom assembly micro sleeves? etc I will gladly put you in touch with the local guys that maintain our rig.
Glen

Offshoredrillin
04-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Rob, a few weeks ago you were tellin me to leave my boat alone and don't mess with it! ;)
i know I was, and you certainly proved me wrong...I'm leaving mine alone this summer for sure. thing is there are so many take out 1075's and 6's hitting the market now that it makes it an affordable upgrade for my boat. I love my boat and with a 1075/6 pkg it would be turn key 100+. I have already done everything else to it.

Geronimo36
04-29-2009, 09:05 AM
i know I was, and you certainly proved me wrong...I'm leaving mine alone this summer for sure. thing is there are so many take out 1075's and 6's hitting the market now that it makes it an affordable upgrade for my boat. I love my boat and with a 1075/6 pkg it would be turn key 100+. I have already done everything else to it.

If you got the coin that seems to be the best way to go!!!!:)