PDA

View Full Version : What Glass and Resin???

89Mach1
04-12-2009, 07:28 PM
I am making a swim platform for my boat, out of 3/4" Plywood, and not sure what and how much glass and resin to buy. From what I can come up with I THINK I need 1.5oz. glass, 2 layers? The platform is 90" X 18" X 1 1/2".

It's going to be painted and have non-skid rolled on the top. I think I need to prime, roll the non-skid and then paint (please correct me if I am wrong). I am by no means a painter or fiberglass guy, but I do learn quick. Any help would be great, maybe with some links and part numbers for supplies would be excellent! I have a local paint shop that I can get a good deal on this stuff, but I would like to see if I can get it cheaper online somewhere.

Also, what are the steps of doing the glass and resin? Do I do a coat of resin on the ply first and let dry? Or do I coat it, lay the glass and coat again then let dry? Thanks in advance everyone!

Jay

glassdave
04-12-2009, 09:36 PM
you can definetly get it cheaper online. I get a lot of stuff from uscomposites.com and they have pretty much the best prices around. Before we get into a shopping list have you considered a foam core? You wont end up with a very strong piece with a plywood core. Also what shape are you going for? Flat? With a lip?

89Mach1
04-12-2009, 10:25 PM
you can definetly get it cheaper online. I get a lot of stuff from uscomposites.com and they have pretty much the best prices around. Before we get into a shopping list have you considered a foam core? You wont end up with a very strong piece with a plywood core. Also what shape are you going for? Flat? With a lip?

Well, this is what I have... It's 1 1/2" thick and basically flat. It's pretty much just like an aluminum swim platform, but I didn't want to go that route because they tend to hurt your feet. I wanted a solid top but the look of the aluminum ones. It bolts through the transom, 5 bolts, along the whole back of it. There is very little flex at all right now with 250lbs standing on it. I know an aluminum one weighs about 60-70 lbs and wanted to stay around that weight, and so far without any glass it weighs about 43 lbs.

What do you think?

Offshore Ginger
04-13-2009, 09:06 AM
89 MACH 1 , have you consider using epoxy and is your plywood marine grade ?:)

glassdave
04-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Well, this is what I have... It's 1 1/2" thick and basically flat. It's pretty much just like an aluminum swim platform, but I didn't want to go that route because they tend to hurt your feet. I wanted a solid top but the look of the aluminum ones. It bolts through the transom, 5 bolts, along the whole back of it. There is very little flex at all right now with 250lbs standing on it. I know an aluminum one weighs about 60-70 lbs and wanted to stay around that weight, and so far without any glass it weighs about 43 lbs.

What do you think?

so its a piece thats already made and you like to get it covered? Should be no prob, it will just require several lamination's like a transom. You can get a decent finish that might be a good non skid by using a sheet of peel ply in the final layer.

89Mach1
04-13-2009, 07:57 PM
so its a piece thats already made and you like to get it covered? Should be no prob, it will just require several lamination's like a transom. You can get a decent finish that might be a good non skid by using a sheet of peel ply in the final layer.

Yes, a piece that I would like to cover. What steps and material would I use to do this? I would like to stay away from epoxy just because of the cost being so high.

Trim'd Up
04-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Seems to me that epoxy would be over kill for a platform like that. 1 1/2" of plywood should give it considerable strength on its own. I wouldn't think you would need all that much glass on it either. I can't imagine it flexing much even with just one layer of 1708 on each side. I built something similar with 1 1/2" foam (just the pink chit from home depot actually) and 2 layers of 1708 on each side for a buddies boat and it was solid as a rock.

glassdave
04-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Yes, a piece that I would like to cover. What steps and material would I use to do this? I would like to stay away from epoxy just because of the cost being so high.

If you havnt bonded the two sheets of plywood together yet i would but a layer of 1.5 oz. mat in between them. That will go along way to stiffening and adding to the longevity of it. For the most part, as said above, a couple layers of 1708 on each sice and your good to go. I would bevel the edges with about a half inch radius on the top and bottom than laminate each side so it overlaps on the edge. Polyester is be fine to keep the cost down plus you can finish in gel coat.

89Mach1
04-14-2009, 09:05 PM
If you havnt bonded the two sheets of plywood together yet i would but a layer of 1.5 oz. mat in between them. That will go along way to stiffening and adding to the longevity of it. For the most part, as said above, a couple layers of 1708 on each sice and your good to go. I would bevel the edges with about a half inch radius on the top and bottom than laminate each side so it overlaps on the edge. Polyester is be fine to keep the cost down plus you can finish in gel coat.

1708- 1.5 oz, perfect. That's what I was thinking I had to use. I go with 2 layers of it just because I want it to last. The 2 pieces are already together, I used a polyurethane glue rolled on between them, then screwed the crap out of it. I don't every see them coming apart. I did run a round over bit on all the edges, so no problems there.

Any idea how much polyester resin I would need? The platform is about 90" X 18". Thanks so much for your help!

89Mach1
04-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Seems to me that epoxy would be over kill for a platform like that. 1 1/2" of plywood should give it considerable strength on its own. I wouldn't think you would need all that much glass on it either. I can't imagine it flexing much even with just one layer of 1708 on each side. I built something similar with 1 1/2" foam (just the pink chit from home depot actually) and 2 layers of 1708 on each side for a buddies boat and it was solid as a rock.

Yeah, I didn't think I would need epoxy for it. As for flex, there really isn't much the way it sits right now, just plywood. I thought about using the foam but didn't think it would hold the weight of 2 or 3 people at once and didn't want to chance it.

MahopacMarine
04-14-2009, 09:10 PM
1708- 1.5 oz, perfect. That's what I was thinking I had to use. I go with 2 layers of it just because I want it to last. The 2 pieces are already together, I used a polyurethane glue rolled on between them, then screwed the crap out of it. I don't every see them coming apart. I did run a round over bit on all the edges, so no problems there.

Any idea how much polyester resin I would need? The platform is about 90" X 18". Thanks so much for your help!

Mach,

I have been following the progress you have been making on this boat. Really nice job! I can't wait to see it in person:)

89Mach1
04-14-2009, 11:26 PM
Mach,

I have been following the progress you have been making on this boat. Really nice job! I can't wait to see it in person:)

Thanks!! I can't wait to come down in a few weeks! We just booked our hotel over the weekend at the Hilton Garden Inn in Nanuet. We plan on launching in Stony Point. We'll be coming down Friday late evening so we don't have to make the drive at 5 am Saturday morning. In the mean time, let's hope for great weather!!!

Jay

glassdave
04-15-2009, 12:27 AM

Yea that should be fine for the wood to wood bond, the key to that is pressure. You've got about 45 square feet of fabric there and in a perfect world thats just shy of eight pounds so that puts you right at a gallon of resin. Good luck with the project and post pics when ya can.

Trim'd Up
04-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Yea that should be fine for the wood to wood bond, the key to that is pressure. You've got about 45 square feet of fabric there and in a perfect world thats just shy of eight pounds so that puts you right at a gallon of resin. Good luck with the project and post pics when ya can.
Yeah, and since this isn't a perfect world. Better get a gallon and a half!:sifone:

glassdave
04-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Yeah, and since this isn't a perfect world. Better get a gallon and a half!:sifone:

lol . . actually right, your probably closer than i am for a hand layup. :D

Geronimo36
04-16-2009, 04:30 PM

This just goes to show that the experts are in the know!!!!

I estimated my project is roughly 50 SQ ft given the size of the holes and 12 layers and between the all the lamination, filler and some waste I used a gallon and a quart give/take! I bought 5 yards of cloth but have a decent amount left over.

Dave, I also noticed that I had a lot less waste using the West System than poly or vinyl because its much easier to use-as-you-go instead of mixing what you think you need!!

89Mach1
04-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Ok, well I now have all the glass done and waiting for it to set up. Let me tell you... I NEVER want to do that crap again! I give you guys that do this stuff for a living a lot of credit. What a P.I.T.A. that was. Again though, thanks for your help!!!

I'll post some pics after I get t sanded and ready for paint.

glassdave
04-16-2009, 06:44 PM
This just goes to show that the experts are in the know!!!!

I estimated my project is roughly 50 SQ ft given the size of the holes and 12 layers and between the all the lamination, filler and some waste I used a gallon and a quart give/take! I bought 5 yards of cloth but have a decent amount left over.

Dave, I also noticed that I had a lot less waste using the West System than poly or vinyl because its much easier to use-as-you-go instead of mixing what you think you need!!

I know i am a bit more careful with estimating epoxy than i am with resin just because of the cost alone. Plus yes it is easier to get the ratio closer with epoxy . . . i think anyway.

glassdave
04-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Ok, well I now have all the glass done and waiting for it to set up. Let me tell you... I NEVER want to do that crap again! I give you guys that do this stuff for a living a lot of credit. What a P.I.T.A. that was. Again though, thanks for your help!!!

I'll post some pics after I get t sanded and ready for paint.

:D Wait till you start finishing it off. Thats when it gets fun or at least as fun as what ya did so far :D

yea definetly post pics

Offshore Ginger
04-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Dave just got my tower back froim the DOC and im still waiting for my Templet , whats up & ARE YOU TO FAMOUS TO GET BACK WITH ME and even after i leave you voice mail !!!:puke::cool::huh::ack2: and please to not tell me you have been to BUSY :leaving:

89Mach1
06-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Ok, so it seems like it's been FOREVER!!!! I hate reading through pages upon pages of threads and you get to the end and NOTHING! No outcome, no explanation, zip! So, I WILL finish this thread.

The platform is DONE! It was suppose to go on today, but has been raining since this afternoon. Hopefully tomorrow will be better, 40% chance of rain though. Anyways.... It came out better than I expected. The top was sprayed with a non-skid additive to the paint that picked up at a local West Marine. This stuff is AMAZING! 2 coats on top of a couple coats of regular paint, it feels and looks like it came out of a mold!

All in all, I'm very impressed! I would recommend this stuff to anyone looking to do the same. I don't have any pics just yet, but I will tomorrow.

Dave- thanks for the help!!!

Jay

89Mach1
06-11-2009, 10:36 PM

Do you think that it would be strong enough for a new hatch? The guy that had the boat before me went a bit crazy back there... 2 layers of 3/4" pressure treated!! It weighs a TON! I'd like to make a new one over the winter and lose a little weight back there. Thanks!

Jay

Trim'd Up
06-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Do you think that it would be strong enough for a new hatch? The guy that had the boat before me went a bit crazy back there... 2 layers of 3/4" pressure treated!! It weighs a TON! I'd like to make a new one over the winter and lose a little weight back there. Thanks!

Jay
Yeah, but if not if you put a couple of braces under it it definately would be. I am hopefully finishing mine this weekend and it is made from 3/4" divyncell. I still plan on glassing in a couple of cross members but it weighs maybe 20-25 lbs. I can pick it up with one hand and the old one needed 2 men and a boy to pick it up.

89Mach1
06-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Yeah, but if not if you put a couple of braces under it it definately would be. I am hopefully finishing mine this weekend and it is made from 3/4" divyncell. I still plan on glassing in a couple of cross members but it weighs maybe 20-25 lbs. I can pick it up with one hand and the old one needed 2 men and a boy to pick it up.

Awesome! I'll have to give it a shot then. Maybe this fall after I winterize I'll take the old hatch off and see what I can come up with. Thanks!

89Mach1
06-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Ok, so here it is. Did the install today with a buddy, took a lot longer than I would have thought! Came out pretty good, I'm happy with it!!!

89Mach1
06-12-2009, 06:59 PM
One more, tried to capture the "non-skid" but you can't really tell the texture from the pic.

glassdave
06-12-2009, 10:39 PM
looks great, whats the symbol on it?

89Mach1
06-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Kind of an inside joke between myself and a couple friends, but it means "bad dudes" haha

jeffswav
12-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Nice job on the platform. I am working on my transom now and thinking about the gel coat. I may shoot the floor in my cuddy with that non skid, I like it.

89Mach1
01-21-2010, 06:29 PM
That stuff would be perfect for a floor! Even when wet I don't think you could slip on it and it's soft on your feet to boot!

jeffswav
01-21-2010, 07:27 PM
I am still working on my transom as you can see from my post. If I run out of time before spring the cuddy project will have to wait. I have plenty of gel to do the transom, bilge and cuddy. I have some "Auquamat" that I can have bound to fit the floor so the non skid is not really nessary, but it looks like a great idea.

Offshore Ginger
01-21-2010, 08:45 PM
89 mack1 L@@king g@@d :cheers2:

89Mach1
02-14-2010, 10:07 PM
89 mack1 L@@king g@@d :cheers2:

Thanks! It was a fun little project/learning experience. I planned on making a new engine hatch and rear seat this winter, but work has been extremely slow so I've been watching my pennies all winter. Hopefully in the spring I'll have some extra money and can get back to my plans!

Offshore Ginger
02-15-2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks! It was a fun little project/learning experience. I planned on making a new engine hatch and rear seat this winter, but work has been extremely slow so I've been watching my pennies all winter. Hopefully in the spring I'll have some extra money and can get back to my plans!:bump: I hate to say this but it seems like there are whole lot of us out there watching are pennies .

baldtires
02-18-2010, 12:55 PM
how much money do you think you have in the swim platform? it looks great. i was thinking of doing something similar in the spring.

89Mach1
02-24-2010, 11:30 PM
About $400. My friend's brother in-law has a body shop so I had him do the paint on it and he charged me $200. I think I had about $100 in glass/resin, $40 in plywood, maybe $20 in stainless hardware to mount it, $10 on a tube of marine silicone, $20 on the non-skid additive for the paint, and I had the tubing in my garage from a previous project and a tube bender, so I bent the tubing and did the welding myself.

Post up some pics if you decide to go for it! It's a fun project and was a learning experience for me. I had never done fiberglass work before, but being a finish carpenter I can do a lot with wood, so the building of it was the easy part, about 3-4 hours, it was the fiberglass that took forever!! Talk about a dirty job, Mike Rowe should go pay GlassDave a visit for a day!!!!

89Mach1
02-24-2011, 02:48 AM
Just an update......... 2 summers have gone by with lots of traffic on the swim platform and it's holding up great! It still looks as new as it did the day I installed it. No leaks from any of the mounting holes (I know this because of a transom assembly swap, long story...) The non-skid additive in the paint has dulled down a touch but still has proven itself to me, so I'm very happy all in all!

rschap1
02-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Congrats
That was a pretty cool read
I had thoughts of doing one many times
Most of my ideas usually revolved around rectangular aluminum tube and star board material...maybe someday I will get off my duff...
doubtful:)