PDA

View Full Version : Need some help to Align engine

Buoy
04-11-2009, 09:05 PM
How do align my motor?
I know there is a tool that I need to align the motor to the Bravo drive, but how do I do this, and does someone have the tool that I can borrow?
It's a 454 motor, it's in the boat, but needs to be aligned to install the drive. The drive housing is on the boat.
I'm trying to finally learn how to do this stuff myself.
Any help?

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Does it have adjustable mounts or plate race type mounts? Plates are not adjustable. It is good to check them whan drive is off. They usually don't move. If the are the adjustable mounts it must be aligned.

You need the tool it is a long shaft like thing. It aligns the gimble bearing to the engine coupler. It costa about a hundred dollars. Pro Marine offers it cheaper than mercury. You cannot did anything with out it.

Its easiest to do when the engine weight is supported , but you can do without. After the rear bolts are tightened the engine is adjusted up or down.

When it is correct the tool slides in fully and bottoms out. It will easily be removed with one hand and little effort.

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-11-2009, 09:30 PM
http://www.promarineusa.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=265

Shows the tool

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-11-2009, 09:36 PM
If you haven't done it before it may be frustrating. Understand the gimble bearing moves in its race. You may have to move the bearing in the course of aligning the engine. In reality you are aligning them to each other. There is only one correct position.

If the transom assembly has not been removed the bearing should still be in its correct position.

Buoy
04-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Transom assy hasn't been removed.
Motor was pulled, and all mounts were pulled.
Need to do full line-up of the motor.
Have L-bracket's mounted to the stringers with standard motor mounts on top.
Suggestions?

Thanks for the reply Jim

catmando
04-11-2009, 11:28 PM
When it is correct the tool slides in fully and bottoms out. It will easily be removed with one hand and little effort.

That's how I did it to her last night. :26: :D

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-12-2009, 12:02 AM
You need to buy or borrow a tool. I will help you through it. You should inspect the threads on the mounts, locate lock tabs for lower nut. If you are going to buy tool consider new mounts if yours are not in great shape. When you install the motor tighten rear bolts first while the motor is still hanging and inits estimated position . The motor will center itself side to side on rear mounts snug forward mounts to L brackets. At this point you need the tool.

You will need to adjust the lower nut to position motor. After adjustment allow full weight of motor to rest on motor. You can look into the spline with A flashlight to eye ball what direction you need to move. When you get close and the tool begins to go in pay attention to whether it hit on the top or bottom of tool. It may take a while or if you talk nice to it it may find its way easily.

When the tool slides in and out freely and will bottom out going in allow full weight of motor to rest and recheck. Finally bend your loctabs to secure lower nuts and tighten top nuts tight with a long bar. secure mounts to L brackets.

Its a rundown feel free to contact me for more assistance if you like.

duunoit
05-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Tim,

I can loan you mine as soon as I get the motor in the 28. Hopefully this weekend.

old377guy
05-20-2009, 05:20 PM

That's how I did it to her last night. :26: :D

you just couldn't resist, couldya?

Bobcat
06-13-2009, 07:39 PM
:seeya: