PDA

View Full Version : Must see - Ethanol and Aluminum...

Geronimo36
04-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Well, I heard about this but never actually saw how the ethanol fuel reacts with aluminum... Here's some pictures from a friends 2005 25' Parker...:(

Something to think about......:leaving:

Geronimo36
04-11-2009, 03:45 PM
More

Geronimo36
04-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Last one

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Aluminum will haze in the sun when thoroughly clean. I suspect that haze didn't appear until it dried out. Gas and alcohol are pretty good cleaners. As long as it has fuel in it no problem. That is another reason why you store tanks near full during lay up.

Offshore Ginger
04-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Actually guys Ethanol is a solvent and because of this i am in the process of repairing the gas tanks of a 32 Skater and they are glass tank's . :sifone:

offthefront
04-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Actually guys Ethanol is a solvent and because of this i am in the process of repairing the gas tanks of a 32 Skater and they are glass tank's . :sifone:

I have heard there is definitely an issue with glass tanks ....m

Biggus
04-12-2009, 07:02 AM

On a Skater, is the fiberglass tank part of the sponson? What is the fix if the core gets wet with fuel?

Offshore Ginger
04-12-2009, 12:40 PM
On a Skater, is the fiberglass tank part of the sponson? What is the fix if the core gets wet with fuel? Biggus structurally the gas tanks are incoraporated into the hull ( Sponsom ) and if the core gets wet wet it need's to be replaced , i am going to be posting some pics of the repair and all the work in progress this week on Glassdave's tech section .:)

Offshore Ginger
04-12-2009, 01:14 PM
I have heard there is definitely an issue with glass tanks ....m Yes there is an issue and the reason is Ethanol or the new generation of fuels. I have to say that Hatteras & Bert have been making fiberglass tanks for years and have had no problems with there tanks as long as they were using Diesel fuel in them and like i said previously Ethanol is a solvent and has affected just about everyone , in some form ,shape , or manner and with that in mind , there is a process ( witches brew ) to repair the tanks for the use of Ethanol .

Offshore Ginger
04-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Well, I heard about this but never actually saw how the ethanol fuel reacts with aluminum... Here's some pictures from a friends 2005 25' Parker...:(

Something to think about......:leaving: Frank just curious why did your friend cut the tank apart ?:)

Geronimo36
04-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Frank just curious why did your friend cut the tank apart ?:)

The alcohol deteriorated one of the welds and the dust from the aluminum clogged up his injectors.. :ack2:

There was a boat at the marina last season who had the same problem.. His injector was getting clogged and he wound up blowing the engine and then he had to replace the fuel tank. It was a new boat so he tried to get in touch with the manufacturer and they told him to go to insurance and his insurance company told him to go scratch... Big job, lots of money spent and no recourse for the owner. :(

I went up one jet size in the secondaries on my carbs to compensate for the crapy fuel when under boost because it looses octane so quickly when it sits around.

Here's some info I found from the NMMA; http://www.nmma.org/lib/docs/nmma/gr/environmental/E20_Position_Paper.doc