PDA

View Full Version : Right Props Bravo or Hydro?

YankeY
04-09-2009, 07:49 PM
The time is getting close to figure out which propellers are the right ones for my boat. I have been looking at tons of posts about bravos & hydomotives characteristics, but can't really gauge what would be right for my application.

Not really trying to determine exact pitch yet, but more so which brand.

Cig Bullet / est 650hp

I appreciate any input please. Thanks

inbetween
04-09-2009, 09:18 PM
While it's not a cig, our Formula 311 "feels" better with bravo 1s than it does with the hydros. maybe 400hp 454s

Griff
04-10-2009, 02:46 AM
I would guess Bravos, but why not just test both???

bbladesprops
04-13-2009, 09:09 PM
I think you will like the Bravos better but, I agree trying both is a great idea. We have the Bravos to try if you wish.

Brett

sledge
04-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Bravos are Bravos but when you say Hydromotive you have to compare apples to apples. Most equate Hydro with the cleaver-style flat trailing edge. But Hydro offers a round-eared 4 blade with characteristics very similar to Bravos. Props aren't cheap just to try out, so you don't hear a lot about the "round ear" Hydro.

It's folks like Brett @ BBlades and the folks at ThrottleUp that make the Bravo really work. But the Hydro may be better right out of the box.

MarylandMark
04-16-2009, 03:52 PM
QIV is the cleaver style

QIV-X is the round ear

I'm a fan of Hydros- truer to pitch rating, tighter tolerance in diameter, available in even and odd sizes.

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-16-2009, 04:09 PM
The best thing to do is try them both if you can. Some boats like the stern lift a cleaver type offers. Equally some people don't like the feel when the stern is lifted.

Geronimo36
04-16-2009, 04:16 PM
The best thing to do is try them both if you can. Some boats like the stern lift a cleaver type offers. Equally some people don't like the feel when the stern is lifted.

I'm with Jimmy here!

But, I'm also leaning towards Bravo 1's due to their ability to carry the bow. Years ago I was testing a 42' Fountain flat bottom wiht Mirage Plus, Bravo 1's and Hydro QIV's. Mirage plus had best top end, Bravo's good cruise with decent top end and the Hydro's had the best cruise but suffered a lot on the top. With Mirage's the boat ran 88 mph, 86 with Bravo's and 83 with Hydro's.

I've never tried the QIV-X Hydro's so I can't compare...

It also depends a lot on the X Dimension of your boat... Since it's a cafe I assume it's an older one?? If so it probably has a deep X set up for Mirage's. So getting back to Jimmy's point, it's probably best to try all of them.

bbladesprops
04-16-2009, 04:24 PM
I like Hydro's too. However, the Bravo 1 propeller has a larger capacity for modifications compared to the Q4 or Q4X. Right out of the box, choose the one that works the best for your application but, Labbing, go to the Bravo 1.

ThrottleUp Props
04-16-2009, 04:27 PM
If your Cig has no steps and is a little more seasoned (older) than the high rake, round ear propellers will most likely produce, more desirable results.

Julie