PDA

View Full Version : Which Current Offshore racer was been doing it the longest?

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-09-2009, 09:45 AM
When did you start racing. Did you start by working on the boats like me? Did you buy a boat to race or race a boat you had?

I have been working on race boats since 1986. My first National Event was in '90. It was been pretty much full seasons from '98 to present.

I am a race whore.:sifone: And I love it.

When did you start?

Davidmnc
04-09-2009, 09:47 AM
When did you start racing. Did you start by working on the boats like me? Did you buy a boat to race or race a boat you had?

I have been working on race boats since 1986. My first National Event was in '90. It was been pretty much full seasons from '98 to present.

When did you start?

Don't forget Post Whore!!!! And you love that too! :sifone:

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-09-2009, 09:51 AM
I am a post whore too. I began that last winter.

This is about racing

Ratickle
04-09-2009, 09:52 AM

When did you start?

I think you're in trouble if Steve David answers. :sifone:

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Current racers racing now, when did you start?

I am sure there are people here that have been doing it longer. I am a young race Ho

MANITIE
04-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Started in 2000....
Wanted to race for years before but wanted a sponsor....I bought a new 29 Outlaw Baja for play...and talked to some folks at there factory in OH. and told them I really wanted to race one... and kept in touch with them...then I got a phone call from them and said would I be interested in racing one of there boats....Gene Weeks and a guy up North (I forgot his name) were running the F1 24 Baja and the 36 Outlaw in F-2....So we put a sponsorship deal together with a F2 33 Outlaw...Gene's team was Team Baja and ours was Team Baja Racing....we never even made it to the first race...we did a in water promotion on the water in Va Beach at a resturant and a drunk in a Alblamar ran into the back of the transom, Art Lilly ended up fixed it..but there insurance company paid for us missing the race season....my first year of racing and never seen a race.....then Baja wanted me to run there 36 Outlaw the one they built for B Class and they would take the F2 Outlaw in on trade....I was ready to do that when some guys told me to call Wyatt F. before I bought the Baja...so I called him and the next thing you know Martin Sanborn call me and laid out there racing program and there success...enough said...Martin was great to work with...and thus the F1 Fountain days started....
I know this was a long sory...but it tells you the Manufacures were really behind there race teams....after running the Fountain and then with Mark in the Activator....my next purchase was the Dragon...Craig and Scott were just as good to work with as Martin was...both Manufactures treated me great and helped me in every way....My next new big race boat will be another Dragon....there are alot of horror stories for boat Manufactures but there are still some great ones out there....

Good thread you started Jim...it may give some guys who are looking to race some insight on how we got started...

Ted
04-09-2009, 11:25 AM
I'd throw a guess out there for Billy Martin Sr.

ThrottleUp Props
04-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Lee Austin has been racing quite some time as well and is still racing today.

Julie

Ryan Beckley
04-11-2009, 01:58 AM
My first race was 1993 St Cloud, the first race I was old enough to race in. This was also Steve Pages first race.

Pete B
04-11-2009, 02:11 AM
I would say Bob Teague has certainly been around awhile

nocigarette
04-11-2009, 05:16 AM
I'd throw a guess out there for Billy Martin Sr.

I would have to agree.....A legend on the course....

jem motorsports
04-12-2009, 09:23 AM
started in 1989 pt. pleasant never took a season off since, been at it for 20 years still love it at 37 been doing it for more than half my life.

Freezeframevideo
04-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Started Takin Photos 1974 in nj raced in 1976 to 1982 24 superboats, and my 30 superboat in 29 races in 1982 & 1983 2 races 1987 been around it for 35 years Every Year ,Every Club including OPT , NPBA ,USoffshore, i will try to run my 30 ' Superboat in Sunny Isles with OSS Bimini and back 100 Miles With MobilMan As Navigator Freeze Frame

SHARKEY-IMAGES
04-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Racing consecutively,

Joe Sgro comes to mind......

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Racing consecutively,

Joe Sgro comes to mind......

And Peter Meyer too.

I first met Peter in '90 when He was racing his boat Lady L.

SHARKEY-IMAGES
04-12-2009, 10:03 PM
If I recall, Peter took some time off and then came back...
I ran against Peter in his Lady L boat...
Both him and Joe are tough competitors.

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Racing consecutively,

Very few never took a break.

I am more interested in when some one started and is still active.

Most come and race a handful of years and move on.

Some like me just can't stay away. I missed a few years along the way, but have always been drawn back.

Who else?

Ted
04-12-2009, 10:55 PM
started in 1989 pt. pleasant never took a season off since, been at it for 20 years still love it at 37 been doing it for more than half my life.

Wazzup Jay!! Welcome :26:

Slandrew
04-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Bill Martin??

scottc
04-12-2009, 11:25 PM
How about Art Lilly? He has been around a long time also.

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Art raced from 86 - 01 or 02. He won a lot of races and set a bunch of speed records.

He raced with his son in a OPA race a few years ago. He won of course. Set a couple of records too. It seems a couple races a year in Choas007 is all he does any more.

God has been good to Art.

Ryan Beckley
04-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Stan Ware has been racing since the 70's.....

Toasty
04-13-2009, 12:36 AM
stotler
sgro
berger
MARTIN
Stanch
McCarthy
Toth

dd24skater
04-15-2009, 06:44 AM
My first race was 1993 St Cloud, the first race I was old enough to race in. This was also Steve Pages first race.

I raced in that race, took second in "C" class in my 24 Skater. That little lake was bumpy that day.

Top Banana
04-15-2009, 10:09 AM
No question ....Bill Gazelle

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-15-2009, 10:42 AM
I met Bill at race in '90 He beats us , but we did battle him hard in the turns. A few years later he invited me to run his boat in Point in his place with Gary. I met Gary that day. He was skeptical and Bill reassured him I could drive. We took second to MRD that day.

Is Bill still racing? I don't recall seeing with last Key West.

Toasty,

Tres
McCarthy
Andy

are not racing anymore are they?

So far Stan Ware is the longest currently racing

Top Banana
04-16-2009, 10:12 PM
I met Bill at race in '90 He beats us , but we did battle him hard in the turns. A few years later he invited me to run his boat in Point in his place with Gary. I met Gary that day. He was skeptical and Bill reassured him I could drive. We took second to MRD that day.

Is Bill still racing? I don't recall seeing with last Key West.

Toasty,

Tres
McCarthy
Andy

are not racing anymore are they?

.So far Stan Ware is the longest currently racing

McCarthy raced last year at the Bimini race....but I know for sure he is sitting home by the phone waiting for an invite from any potent team needing a little experience.

Wahoo 214
04-22-2009, 09:52 AM
I believe Joey Impressca (sorry for spelling) in Super Heat has been around for some time too.

JO - PANTERABOAT
04-24-2009, 07:08 PM
My dad started racing in the 70's 80's 90's and his last race was Key West in 2003, when he realized it was not a good idea for him and I in the same boat!
He got banged up real good! Almost drowned.
He has only had 2 accidents in 4 decades, the other one was back in 1978 here in Miami.
He says that if Offshore racing would come back to its roots, (offshore) he would like to give it another try. I will admit he has never told me to back off, the old man is a b**l breaker in a boat.
We have enjoyed racing together!
He has a lot of stories about the decade of the 70's. That was a wild time in racing, I remember well, I was just a kid then.

Jo - Pantera Boats.

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Jo, It is so cool you got to race with your father. Few are so lucky.

That day in KW in '03. I was driving an F2 boat too.

Sean Stinson
04-25-2009, 08:57 AM
Very few never took a break.

I am more interested in when some one started and is still active.

Most come and race a handful of years and move on.

Some like me just can't stay away. I missed a few years along the way, but have always been drawn back.

Who else?

Been watching and hanging around since 1978 when Betty Cook won the worlds in Key West she was testing in Marathon the first time I saw the KAAMA boat.....I have had some sabbaticals along the way but have messed around with racing pretty steady since the late eighties early nineties up until now in some shape form or fashion!!! But I am just the young punk kid that polishes the props!!!:sifone::sifone::sifone:

JO - PANTERABOAT
04-25-2009, 09:17 AM
Been watching and hanging around since 1978 when Betty Cook won the worlds in Key West she was testing in Marathon the first time I saw the KAAMA boat.....I have had some sabbaticals along the way but have messed around with racing pretty steady since the late eighties early nineties up until now in some shape form or fashion!!! But I am just the young punk kid that polishes the props!!!:sifone::sifone::sifone:

Hey player,
can I have your autograph?
"sincerely"
pp. :sifone:

Sean Stinson
04-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Hey player,
can I have your autograph?
"sincerely"
pp. :sifone:

I think it needs to be the other way around buddy.....I can only hope to attain have of the accomplishments you have done over the years!!!!!:sifone::sifone::sifone:

I will talk to you this week sometime!!!!

Sean