PDA

View Full Version : Gimbals; and Boxes

Quinlan
04-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Looks like I need to switch out the Gimbals on my Gun.
I am guessing I can do this with out pulling the motors because of the boxes.
Is it just wishful thinking or do you guys think it will work.
The Boxes are Stellings if it matters.
Anyother advise would be great.

Quinlan

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-07-2009, 05:14 PM
I haven't actually done that , but the motor can stay in. You should be able to remove the outer assembly and leave the drive line and carrior in place. The picture shows what s inside. http://www.stellingsmarineproducts.com/

MattBMiller
04-07-2009, 05:15 PM
You can pull your transom assemblies off your boxes in no time. Remove the inspection plates on the sides and you will have access to the 8 nuts.

Quinlan
04-08-2009, 04:57 PM
How much play is to much? or is any to much? When I pick up on drive I get some play where the shaft assembly goes thru the gimbal. I would say there is some slop. We torqed down the U bolt to the 50lbs and still some slop. If I had to guess I would say the drive moves 1/2 in to 1 inch at the bottom of drive, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 half up top.

Quinlan

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Not sure where you are measuring. Up and down is like .010 or less , measured at gap at lower swivel pin top side. When it is double or more it is time to address. There should be no movement in any direction up down in or out at hinge pins. There should be no movement in or out, side to side at upper swivel. or lower swivel.