PDA

View Full Version : Dodge 6.7 diesel

Expensive Date
10-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Been casually looking for a dually was going to look seriously after KW.Like the Dodge but have been hearing bad things about the 6.7.found a site thedieselgaragefourms.com last night and they are trashing this motor.Does anyone here have one if so what is your feeling on this?

gerritm
11-04-2008, 05:29 PM
I have an 07 Dodge 2500 4x4 with the 6.7 diesel. I have about 60K miles on it. The main problems with the engine are the particulate filter for the new pollution controls. As usual the government mandates these changes and the manufacturers don't have time to finish perfecting the system. The canister will fill up gets dirty and the check engine light comes on and throws a code. Since I have had the truck the check engine light has been on constantly. They have reset it several times and replaced the turbo with a better newer model. The truck has run excellent. It does not seem to effect the fuel mileage (17-18mpg) and it tows my 12K boat with no problems. I love the truck. The service writer at the dealer has said that there is a fix coming out and will let me know when it happens. The check engine light does not seem to have any effect on how the vehicle runs. If you are going to idle a lot then they recommend running the truck on the highway to burn off the filter. I run my truck on the highway and never seem to have a problem. Even after 60K miles I don't have any other problems or major rattles with the truck. I would recommend the truck highly. It's not as fancy as my buddies Fords, but I paid 10K less and it is a workhorse.

Jamie B.
11-04-2008, 10:49 PM
Cant provide hands-on experience with the 6.7 ( I have a '05 5.9 ) but two good sites for info on the Dodge / Cummins are :

dieseltruckresource.com
turbodieselregister.com

HiZ
11-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Particulate filter problems working out the bugs as previously posted

Stick with the 5.9 - if you are looking for the new body
Hook up your FASS pump and a Smarty with exhaust - Now PULL!

macjazzy
11-05-2008, 08:42 AM
The particulate filter is not only on Dodge trucks. GM and Ford trucks use a very similar system. Basically its a catch tank in the exhaust that collects all the soot from the exhaust. There are sensors that tell the engine computer when it gets full. When its full the engine fires the injectors on the exhaust stroke, which burns off the soot in the DPF (Diesel particulate filter)

The downsides are, that soot burns off and becomes ash which settles to the bottom. Somewhere around 100k the DPF will no longer be able to store all that soot and will need to be replaced.

Fuel economy goes down when it is dumping fuel down the tail pipe.

It will fill the DPF up much faster in around town, heavy footed, long idle, or engine modifications.

The computer will not alow it to go into REGEN (when it dumps fuel to burn off soot in the DPF) at low speeds or idle since it gets so hot. Truck needs to be moving somewhere above 35mph to cool the exhaust. Also the exhaust coming out the tailpipe can be over 500 degrees. Which is why each manufacturor has some sort of weird looking outlet, they are designed to help cool the output exhaust.That outlet is technically an emissions control device, so technically it can't be changed. Although I have seen plenty of aftermarket exhaust systems for these trucks already.

Expensive Date
11-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks will probably start looking seriously after KW

buck
11-05-2008, 10:41 PM
The particulate filter is not only on Dodge trucks. GM and Ford trucks use a very similar system. Basically its a catch tank in the exhaust that collects all the soot from the exhaust. There are sensors that tell the engine computer when it gets full. When its full the engine fires the injectors on the exhaust stroke, which burns off the soot in the DPF (Diesel particulate filter)

The downsides are, that soot burns off and becomes ash which settles to the bottom. Somewhere around 100k the DPF will no longer be able to store all that soot and will need to be replaced.

It will fill the DPF up much faster in around town, heavy footed, long idle, or engine modifications.

The computer will not alow it to go into REGEN (when it dumps fuel to burn off soot in the DPF) at low speeds or idle since it gets so hot. Truck needs to be moving somewhere above 35mph to cool the exhaust. Also the exhaust coming out the tailpipe can be over 500 degrees. Which is why each manufacturor has some sort of weird looking outlet, they are designed to help cool the output exhaust.That outlet is technically an emissions control device, so technically it can't be changed. Although I have seen plenty of aftermarket exhaust systems for these trucks already.

Bingo! We have a winner.

It's not just the Cummins that is having problems. All three of the new generatioin diesels seem to be more problematic than their older brothers. I don't know of one customer that has traded for a newer truck of any brand that wishes they didn't.

Buck

gerritm
11-06-2008, 09:54 AM

Great explanation, I knew most of that but sure couldn't explain it. One thing on my truck is that because I run it on the highway most of the time, it nevers show that it is going into regen mode. The warning is built into the system view and will tell you when you are approaching the need to burn it off. I do idle it quite a bit to keep the a/c on and the truck cool. I have spoken to several other local guys that run their trucks in the city and theirs do go into the regen mode and they have to run it out on the highway to burn it off. Here is another good website.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/

macjazzy
11-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Get your trucks now because the emissions standards are going up again after 2010. Most of the engine builders are looking into a urea based system. Which somehow burns off the bad stuff while you are driving. but the urea is a consumable. So when you fill up with diesel you will also have to fill up with urea. Not sure how much that cost will be or how often it will use it up.

Cat has already announced they are getting out of the on road engine business after 2010. They will only produce engines for heavy equipment and boats.

Its amazing that for years the rest of the world has gotten diesels in almost every car/truck made. Most people blamed the drought of diesels on GM for bulding their junk car diesels in the 80's. That was probably part of it but mostly it was because the US charged a gross polluter tax on all car diesel engines to the manufacturor, and the add on made it not feasable to sell to the public. That problem was supposedly fixed with low sulfur fuel. However that has driven the cost of diesel fuel throught the roof, which is keeping manufacturors from bringing diesels to our market, and now emissions regulations will probably chase the rest away.

A diesel hybrid could get 100mpg but we will never see one due to all these emmissions restrictions. Its amazing to me, after all the talk about foreign fuel dependance that if they deregulated diesels just a little and consumers got a real choice on all cars gas or diesel our fuel consumption as a country could go way way down.

catmando
11-15-2008, 07:49 PM
The Aptera CEO wanted to use a 1L diesel but none were certified to pass California emissions so he went with a gasoline motor for his hybrid.

www.aptera.com

catmando
11-15-2008, 08:26 PM
I have an 07 dually 6.7/6speed Aisin/4wd. So far, it's fantastic.Is it the 4500 or 5500? If not, you have the Orion not the Aisin.

catmando
11-16-2008, 01:42 AM
I stand corrected, I didn't know the Aisin was available in the 3500. The 4500 auto I drove here was silky smooth. I wanted it to haul a Kaufman Mini5 trailer but I couldn't get financing for the trailer. :( My 3500 is just not strong enough to haul that kind of weight on a daily basis.

www.mini5trailer.com

I like that site you put up. I've been going to www.allpar.com which gives old information.

catmando
11-16-2008, 07:04 PM
When you upgrade to your next Dodge make sure it has the exhaust brake. If you tow heavy loads on highways like route 80 in P.A. without one, your brakes will burn up.
EdI was going to put the BD brake on this truck if I had gotten a loan for a 3-4 car wedge. It can handle 15-17k. I haven't worked in almost a year and at my age, long hauling is probly not something I should be doing.

I've been trying to sell the truck but I'm 4k upside down on the note so not much chance of that. Besides, I'll need it when I buy a boat.

gerritm
11-17-2008, 06:58 PM
When you upgrade to your next Dodge make sure it has the exhaust brake. If you tow heavy loads on highways like route 80 in P.A. without one, your brakes will burn up.
Ed

My 2500 came stock with an exhaust brake and a 6 speed with an electric tow mode in the shifter to lower the shift speeds. I love the jake brake, it takes a lot of the wear and tear off the brakes. I have about 60K on the truck with at least 5-7K in towing my 12K boat and trailer and have yet to put a set of brakes on.

catmando
11-17-2008, 09:46 PM
My 2500 came stock with an exhaust brake and a 6 speed with an electric tow mode in the shifter to lower the shift speeds. I love the jake brake, it takes a lot of the wear and tear off the brakes. I have about 60K on the truck with at least 5-7K in towing my 12K boat and trailer and have yet to put a set of brakes on.How does the truck feel in strong winds? SRWs are not known for stability in winds.

gerritm
11-18-2008, 06:04 PM
How does the truck feel in strong winds? SRWs are not known for stability in winds.

I keep trying to find issues with the truck and so far none, other than the pollution fixes. It just went in today for the latest "fix". The truck is very stable in strong winds. No problems. Even with my Fountain on the back. No stability problems or movement of the trailer when you tow. It does everything well. I had a bunch of guys in it this weekend going hunting. They all drive Ford and Chevy diesels and each one commented on how quiet the new 6.7 is and how well the truck rides for a 4x4 2500HD. I have the SLT short bed version and not the Laramie, so the interior is pretty cheap looking and not very fancy, but is well insulated and quiet. Plus it cost about 6K less than the comparable Ford or Chevy.

catmando
11-21-2008, 11:31 PM
I keep trying to find issues with the truck and so far none, other than the pollution fixes. It just went in today for the latest "fix". The truck is very stable in strong winds. No problems. Even with my Fountain on the back. No stability problems or movement of the trailer when you tow. It does everything well. I had a bunch of guys in it this weekend going hunting. They all drive Ford and Chevy diesels and each one commented on how quiet the new 6.7 is and how well the truck rides for a 4x4 2500HD. I have the SLT short bed version and not the Laramie, so the interior is pretty cheap looking and not very fancy, but is well insulated and quiet. Plus it cost about 6K less than the comparable Ford or Chevy.I bet your buddies wished you had bought the megacab. Then you could have put a long bed on it to make it look right instead of the short bus it looks like now. :ack2:

www.megacablongbed.com

www.longbedmegacab.com

lightspeed
11-30-2008, 11:17 AM
I Have A 2003 3500 Dodge Dually With The 5.9 HO And Never Had A Problem Tow All Kinds Of Stuff And Can Pull A House Down Great Truck Only 72K On It And Full Factory Warranty Till 100K Might Be For Sale If Any Body Is Interested:sifone::sifone:

gerritm
12-01-2008, 04:15 PM
I bet your buddies wished you had bought the megacab. Then you could have put a long bed on it to make it look right instead of the short bus it looks like now. :ack2:

www.megacablongbed.com

www.longbedmegacab.com

Yea, it's a little cramped in the back, but not too bad. There was 4 of us in the truck with all our gear. Next one will be the mega-cab, but I still like the short bed. I do a lot of city driving and tight parking spaces, the long wheel base would be a biotch. Had enough with what I have.:)

catmando
12-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Yea, it's a little cramped in the back, but not too bad. There was 4 of us in the truck with all our gear. Next one will be the mega-cab, but I still like the short bed. I do a lot of city driving and tight parking spaces, the long wheel base would be a biotch. Had enough with what I have.:)I take at least two spaces when I park my quad cab long bed, preferably four.