PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Marine exhaust

Tony
04-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Anybody use fittings other than the plastic stuff that comes with SM exhaust systems? I guess Im just a little leary of plastic pipe fittings.

Anchored
04-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Anybody use fittings other than the plastic stuff that comes with SM exhaust systems? I guess Im just a little leary of plastic pipe fittings.

For what you pay, I would think they would come with brass or SS.

Jeff

CausinTrouble
04-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Who sells the exhaust/riser gaskets ?

Chris
04-27-2009, 12:34 PM
I believe they're Delrin. That prevents them from corroding- more a salt water issue. The older SM's had aluminum plugs with integral anodes- sometimes they had issues.

smittyseng
04-28-2009, 02:04 AM
I was scared of them too so I converted to stainless elbows,they also came from stainless marine. It was funny though,they didn't have many in stock (not enough to convert all of them at once). So it must not be a popular option,Smitty

Tony
04-28-2009, 06:43 AM

You could probably make them easy enough. FYI the clamps can be found at any commercial truck parts counter. I switched the fittings out to SS just to be on the safe side.

Anchored
04-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Are there gaskets in there? Or just the V-band clamp setup?

Jeff

CPPerformance
04-28-2009, 12:59 PM

We have them on the shelf. Feel free to give us a call!

http://www.cpperformance.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=313&Manufacturer=90

CausinTrouble
04-28-2009, 10:12 PM

I saw you guys had them..

CausinTrouble
04-28-2009, 10:13 PM
You could probably make them easy enough. FYI the clamps can be found at any commercial truck parts counter. I switched the fittings out to SS just to be on the safe side.

Make them out of regular gasket material ?

Tony
04-29-2009, 07:01 AM
I dont see why you couldnt, the stock would need to be thin. .025"-.030".

Geronimo36
04-29-2009, 09:51 AM
Make them out of regular gasket material ?

Over the years I've made them out of high-temp gasket material and sealed with Red RTV. No problems to speak of. Lay the gasket paper over top of the hole and rub the handle of a screwdriver over top to make marks on the paper and then cut it out with an razor blade or carpet cutter...takes 5 minutes!

Although, I found the SM gaskets can be re-used a few times with RTV. The gasket paper needs to be made new every time.

As far as the fittings, they switched due to the potential of long-term corrosion with dissimilar metals.

Geronimo36
04-29-2009, 09:55 AM

Is your site down?? I tried getting on this morning but it says page not found for both the link provided and the main page.

Ted
04-29-2009, 10:37 AM
The riser gaskets are available direct from Brownie at SM. Mine came with bronze fitings in there and I have not messed with them. I suppose the dissimilar metal deal will eventually bite me. I did have a problem with erosion around the exhaust ports and had them welded and resurfaced. I would recommend using the stock riser gaskets as they are exhaust gasket material and do have quite a bit of heat to deal with.

Geronimo36
04-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Here's info on the plastic fittings and why they use them... It's good info for the fresh-water boaters and those of us who regularly flush..

"Another lesson that we learned the hard way has to do with corrosion. We have very few failures during the warranty period. When a manifold fails, we replace it and cut the old one open for a post-mortem. One thing that confused us was the fact that some of the best cared for, best looking manifolds had the most severe damage. I went to a seminar at the IBEX show in Ft. Lauderdale a couple of years ago, conducted by Ward Eshelman, who is the guru of electrolytic corrosion. After the seminar, I stayed and spoke to Ward about our situation. He explained the following: Standard equipment at that time was sacrificial anode (zinc) for each manifold. A manifold sitting full of salt water with a zinc to protect is a happy situation. If you are a careful owner, or a fresh water boater, or both, and flush the engine after every use, the manifold now sits full of fresh water. The zinc changes its name from anode to cathode, and now the manifold is protecting the zinc! We deleted the zinc and changed the water fittings from hard anodized aluminum to a space age fiberglass reinforced plastic. There is a fair chance that the current Stainless Marine manifolds could outlive your boat!"

VetteLT193
04-29-2009, 12:41 PM
The riser gaskets are available direct from Brownie at SM. Mine came with bronze fitings in there and I have not messed with them. I suppose the dissimilar metal deal will eventually bite me. I did have a problem with erosion around the exhaust ports and had them welded and resurfaced. I would recommend using the stock riser gaskets as they are exhaust gasket material and do have quite a bit of heat to deal with.

I thought Brownie retired?

Ted
04-29-2009, 02:59 PM
I thought Brownie retired?

Oh, I didn't know, I spoke to him last season when I needed them, great service.