PDA

View Full Version : towing with a 6" lift

niceguy
03-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Is a 6" lift too much to tow my 31' Sonic with my F250 PS? I already have a 4" lift, but want to go a little more but 5 am scared it might be too high.

I think the only real issue may be the drop hitch. And if thats the case, does someone make a reinforced drop hitch for this type of package?

buck
03-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Your gearing and brake set up would be the biggest concern IMO. Are these two things upgraded over the stock parts?

There are reinforced drop hitches out there that are rated for your needs. I need to do some looking to find them. Can't remember where I saw them at.

Buck

niceguy
03-28-2009, 11:23 PM
Excellent points Buck.... thanks. Brakes are stock, gearing is stock towing package, but the truck came from the dealership with 35's already on it.... so maybe they swapped a gear. I will find out.

Lemme know if you find a link or something for the hitch. I am gonna seach the net tonight and see what I can find.

ps I do have surge brakes on the trailer, so that helps.

45Sonic
03-29-2009, 11:32 AM
I have a F350 with 4" lift and 35" tires. I use a pintle hitch set up using the 2 5/16 ball. I'd change from surge to electric/hyd brakes to keep braking pressure off the drop

rapid hitch makes a good drop that would probably serve your need. Example: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/rapid-hitch-10-drop/34582

Sydwayz
03-29-2009, 12:36 PM
You are swinging much bigger wheels/tires (weight) than the factory stock brake system was set up for. I would absolutely upgrade brakes just to drive around withOUT towing.

Such a setup with surge brakes is (IMHO) a recipe for disaster. If you get to a point where you are turning and braking (to avoid something) you will end up rolling a front tire on the truck. Your truck will now be sliding and not braking, and your surge brakes will not be getting any slowed inertia pressure from the truck slowing, hence the trailer is not going to be braking either... === ALL bad news.

Electric/hydraulic brakes with a brake controller like MaxBrake or SmartBrake would be the only way I would want to tow serious weight behind any type of lifted/modified truck.

Surge brakes are GREAT for braking in a straight line. As soon as you get the SLIGHTEST angle between the truck and trailer, your braking power/ability diminishes rapidly.

niceguy
03-29-2009, 01:29 PM
You are swinging much bigger wheels/tires (weight) than the factory stock brake system was set up for. I would absolutely upgrade brakes just to drive around withOUT towing.

Such a setup with surge brakes is (IMHO) a recipe for disaster. If you get to a point where you are turning and braking (to avoid something) you will end up rolling a front tire on the truck. Your truck will now be sliding and not braking, and your surge brakes will not be getting any slowed inertia pressure from the truck slowing, hence the trailer is not going to be braking either... === ALL bad news.

Electric/hydraulic brakes with a brake controller like MaxBrake or SmartBrake would be the only way I would want to tow serious weight behind any type of lifted/modified truck.

Surge brakes are GREAT for braking in a straight line. As soon as you get the SLIGHTEST angle between the truck and trailer, your braking power/ability diminishes rapidly.

Thanks. I hated the surge brakes anyways, this is just a good reason to change them. That banging against the hitch upon braking couldnt be good for the ball.

Sorry to get off topic, but is it easy to change the surge brakes over to the electric/hyd setup? Do I have to change the tongue of the trailer out?

MattBMiller
03-29-2009, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to tow with a 6" lift one bit. Definitely go electric/hydraulic brakes though.

Playn
03-30-2009, 12:04 AM
I towed with a 4.5" lift all the time and with the larger tires gave it an effective 6" lift. The hitch I use was called roto-eze by Action Manufacturing but I think that particular company may no longer be in business.

Sydwayz
03-30-2009, 10:37 AM
There is a big difference between towing a 28 Sunsation (single) and a 31 Sonic (twin).

Make sure you pay attention to your brake controller choice. Lots of info here:
http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4102

As far as EoH brakes, there are several ways to accomplish this; and some threads here and OSO on kits.

Some folks just add the actuator, and bolt/weld the old surge coupler solid. I'd swap out to a solid coupler.

Chris
03-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Alot of insurance companies specifically exclude coverage on lifted and/or modified vehicles. I would check yours.

Lifting isn't going to make an already straining task any better. No real positives (other than cosmentics) and a long list of negatives.

Bottom line- towing for the most part isn't a big deal. But in those highly infrequent moments where things go wrong, you'll want every possible advantage on your side.

Chris
03-30-2009, 12:26 PM
One other thing-

I see tons of trucks these days with very fancy chrome alloy wheels. The majority of these wheels are Chinese made and they're castings. They also do not meet the OEM load ratings in many cases. Wheelpros is one of the larger- they have a number of house brands they market under. If you're paying under $200 a piece for a chrome alloy, that's probably what you're buying. And they will fail- at the worst possible time.

MattBMiller
03-30-2009, 12:37 PM
There is a big difference between towing a 28 Sunsation (single) and a 31 Sonic (twin).

Make sure you pay attention to your brake controller choice. Lots of info here:
http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4102

As far as EoH brakes, there are several ways to accomplish this; and some threads here and OSO on kits.

Some folks just add the actuator, and bolt/weld the old surge coupler solid. I'd swap out to a solid coupler.

I've towed much bigger than my 28. It's all about set up.

MattBMiller
03-30-2009, 12:37 PM
One other thing-

I see tons of trucks these days with very fancy chrome alloy wheels. The majority of these wheels are Chinese made and they're castings. They also do not meet the OEM load ratings in many cases. Wheelpros is one of the larger- they have a number of house brands they market under. If you're paying under $200 a piece for a chrome alloy, that's probably what you're buying. And they will fail- at the worst possible time.

Most aftermarket wheels are lugcentric as well. Spend the money to get forged hubcentric wheels.

Hard Charger
03-30-2009, 03:01 PM
I havent had any issues with my surge brakes. However I would prefer an electric brake system. Thats my 2 cents.

Chris
03-30-2009, 08:30 PM
I've gotten brakes hot enough that they've taken me on a truly exciting thrill ride. If your truck won't generate surge, surge brakes aren't very useful. There's just no substitute for the control of an EOH brake system.

niceguy
03-30-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks guys, but I've decided to leave the 4" lift on the truck and just put some new tires on. Money is too tight right now and I would rather spend the money on my little hotrod.

I am, however, gonna be changing the surge brakes on my trailer. I am very appreciative for everyones responses... especially bringing to light the surge brake issues.

fixxxer22
02-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Also, with lifts and big tires people forget about what it does to your gear ratio. I would assume you are running 3.73 gears and with the increased tire size it can raise the ratio to in the 3.3 to 2.5 range. i would upgrade gears to 4.30 or 5.13

Knot 4 Me
02-24-2010, 11:33 AM
I've gotten brakes hot enough that they've taken me on a truly exciting thrill ride. If your truck won't generate surge, surge brakes aren't very useful. There's just no substitute for the control of an EOH brake system.Yup. Been there, done that. No fun!

baja27
02-24-2010, 04:14 PM
My buddy has a f250 with airbag ride suspension with 10" lift he tows a 41 velocity with no issues.

MILD THUNDER
02-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Also, with lifts and big tires people forget about what it edoes to your gear ratio. I would assume you are running 3.73 gears and with the increased tire size it can raise the ratio to in the 3.3 to 2.5 range. i would upgrade gears to 4.30 or 5.13

EXACTLY!! My buddy had the same exact truck as mine, engine, etc. His had a 6" lift, with 37" tires, and stock gears. Sucked towing at 60mph, because the RPMS were too low, and wanted to hunt in and out of OD all the time. Not too mention regular towing power wasnt as good as mine with stock setup.

fixxxer22
02-24-2010, 06:25 PM
EXACTLY!! My buddy had the same exact truck as mine, engine, etc. His had a 6" lift, with 37" tires, and stock gears. Sucked towing at 60mph, because the RPMS were too low, and wanted to hunt in and out of OD all the time. Not too mention regular towing power wasnt as good as mine with stock setup.

:iagree:

It does put much more strain on the truck. I got a buddy with a f-250 with 37s on it and i have factory tires we both have 3.73 gears. I tow my outlaw with it. I know its back there but it is not too heavy by any means. The trans stays cool and it will stay in overdrive. One day we used is truck for some reason. Talk about a difference. Both diesels and his was chipped. What a doggggg! Then he cried for awhile and i installed 5.13 gears in it to bring it up to about a 4.10 level. Works great now but he can never take the big tires off without having too much gear running stocks.