PDA

View Full Version : Gun laws?

Sunsation96
03-26-2009, 11:01 AM
I have been hearing alot of this Obama stuff lately about new gun and ammo laws, went shooting on sunday and some guy was going nuts about it that guns are selling lot hot cakes anyone have the skinny? Is this the time to buy?

Tony
03-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Where have you been since November? Prices of "assault style" firearms has taken a huge jump, and the gun counters are packed in every shop you go to. People who have never before thought of owning firarms are buying them. At least the economy is being stimulated through the firearms industry. I think the scare factor will eventually wear off though.

Sea-Dated
03-26-2009, 01:03 PM
The guys at my gun range have named Obama "Gun Salesman Of The Year".

Since he got elected gun sales have shot through the roof.

At least one industry is thriving....

MattBMiller
03-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Good time to stock up on black rifles. Once the ban comes back in effect, you'll be able to name your price. I never seem to sell guns though, I just keep adding to the collection...

Ratickle
03-26-2009, 01:15 PM
The thing that gets me the most around here, everyone has bullets on backorder including the reloader sellers.....:ack2:

Chris
03-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Obama is highly unlikely to get the support he needs to get anything like the Clinton-era assault weapons bill. Congress has changed and many of the former anti-gun senior dems have been replaced with pro-gun or gun-neutral guys. There just isn't a political will in the populace to make it happen. This article from the Wall Street Journal details some of the political pressures that some senior dems face, including nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid.- http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123690314709013801.html

This doesn't stop the constant reintroduction of the bill to reinstate the 1994 ban. If you'd like to read more on wht Congress failed to continue the ban upon it's expiration, read firther down on this page- http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=238

If you want to overpay for a firearm, there's no better time than right now. But you'll kick yourself in a year or so.

Bottom line- an assault weapons ban would do exactly what it did last time- nothing. We have an incredible number of laws on the books already barring many bad acts and restricting firearms ownership and use. Making something that's already illegal MORE illegal seems silly.

Tony
03-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Making something that's already illegal MORE illegal seems silly.

This is a group of mindless politicians were talking about..:sifone:

Ratickle
03-26-2009, 01:25 PM
This is a group of mindless politicians were talking about..:sifone:

Yep, but with the Supreme Court ruling on handgun restrictions in DC, everyone will be less prone to waste their time. You only have so many political favors to use in this bought-off congress we currently have and they will try something with more support on their side.

PARADOX
03-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Just got back from the range.. They had a 44 Mag rev, I was going to get but I was busy lately and it's gone. Anyone have a line on a 44 Mag single action rev?

Tony
03-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Why are you set on a single action? The 629's seem to be plentifull.

Ratickle
03-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Just got back from the range.. They had a 44 Mag rev, I was going to get but I was busy lately and it's gone. Anyone have a line on a 44 Mag single action rev?

I have a Blackhawk. My second one, I love it. Accurate as can be...

Von Bongo
03-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Doesn't mean they will not try..Hillary was on GMA this morning saying she see's no reason asault weapons should be on anyones streets. Her interview was in regards to Mexico and referring to Mexicos claim that the drug gangs are buying "assault" weapons in the US and taking them across the border.

Eric Holder our AG said a few weeks at a press conference that the asault weapons ban should be reinstated to limit the supply of guns to MEXICO. You got it right, disarm law abiding AMERICAN citizens for the good of a foreign country. That's at the least treason.

You are a complete fool if you don't think that when the economy cools down that the Obama camp is not going to try at least for an AW ban and maybe a ban of all semi automatic firearms.

The second amendment wasn't put it place so you could hunt deer. It was put in place so American citizens could defend themselves from outside and inside threats.

Chris
03-26-2009, 06:07 PM
The Ruger SuperBlackhawk is my least-favorite handgun- at least to fire. It just chews the living $hit out of the web between my thumb and index finger. The typical single-acrion revolver gripframe has no anti-rotation spur below the hammer. It's not an issue with a 357 or even a 45LC. But with the 44Mag...

I carried a Smith 29 in 2 3/4" as a backup piece. Still one of my favorite little hand cannons.

PARADOX
03-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Why are you set on a single action? The 629's seem to be plentifull.

For a rev.. I just like the old style single action. Just a shooting gun.
For other stuff. :) 9MM

PARADOX
03-26-2009, 06:58 PM
The Ruger SuperBlackhawk is my least-favorite handgun- at least to fire. It just chews the living $hit out of the web between my thumb and index finger. The typical single-acrion revolver gripframe has no anti-rotation spur below the hammer. It's not an issue with a 357 or even a 45LC. But with the 44Mag...

I carried a Smith 29 in 2 3/4" as a backup piece. Still one of my favorite little hand cannons.

Thanks Chris.. I got to check that out.. I have no prob with my 357.

Ratickle
03-26-2009, 07:26 PM

You have to change the grips to after market, otherwise you're correct...

The worse I ever shot was a double barrel .45 derringer. Crap that hurt.

Wardey
03-27-2009, 08:51 AM

Plus, They make you go deaf !!! That's the reason I have constant "ringing" in my ears. Of course it was the guns fault. It should have had ear protection with it. :biggrinjester: Dave

Joe549
03-27-2009, 10:27 AM
If you don't like US gun laws, you should take a look at the ridiculous gun laws we have in Canada.........

Sunsation96
03-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Thanks guy's I been wanting to purchase a 12g shot gun for shooting clays don't know what to buy or what to look for, then I heard of all the madness at all the shops and I don't want to over pay or wait and then have to jump threw a fire to buy one

Chris
03-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks guy's I been wanting to purchase a 12g shot gun for shooting clays don't know what to buy or what to look for, then I heard of all the madness at all the shops and I don't want to over pay or wait and then have to jump threw a fire to buy one

Shotguns aren't even close to being affected by any discussion of bans. They'd be the last on the list to go.

I'm assuming you're talking about sporting clays. Trap pretty much requires a trap gun if you want to score well. Skeet can be easily shot with a clays gun, although if you want to consistently shoot perfect scores, a skeet gun is a plus. Now, having said that, my buddy's 68-year-old father comes with us every once in a while. He has an old Benelli 20 that looks like it's spent it's life in the open bed of a pickup truck. I wouldn't gibe $100 for it. He literally cleans our clock with it every time. We don't even get close. he always tells the same joke- "You know what the best thing you can buy to make you shoot better? Lots of ammo".

As far as a clays gun, you need one that's clays-specific. A field gun is way too light for shooting a round of clays. Field guns are made for shooting a dozen times in a day. Shooting 200 or 400 rounds through a flyweight 12ga will turn your shoulder to hamburger. The fit on a clays gun is going to be different and virtually everyone prefers a bit longer barrel for most courses.

The best advice is to get fitted. Go to a shotgun-specific store and try every one they have. Have a pro check the fit. Adjustable cheeks and buttstocks are worth every penny- unless you can spring for custom fitted woodwork.

If you're gun doesn't fit, you'll break far fewer birds. Bottom line- brand doesn't really matter. If it's a quality shotgun, they all do the same things. I actually shoot better with my Beretta Gold than I do with my Perazzi.

Sunsation96
03-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Shotguns aren't even close to being affected by any discussion of bans. They'd be the last on the list to go.

I'm assuming you're talking about sporting clays. Trap pretty much requires a trap gun if you want to score well. Skeet can be easily shot with a clays gun, although if you want to consistently shoot perfect scores, a skeet gun is a plus. Now, having said that, my buddy's 68-year-old father comes with us every once in a while. He has an old Benelli 20 that looks like it's spent it's life in the open bed of a pickup truck. I wouldn't gibe $100 for it. He literally cleans our clock with it every time. We don't even get close. he always tells the same joke- "You know what the best thing you can buy to make you shoot better? Lots of ammo".

As far as a clays gun, you need one that's clays-specific. A field gun is way too light for shooting a round of clays. Field guns are made for shooting a dozen times in a day. Shooting 200 or 400 rounds through a flyweight 12ga will turn your shoulder to hamburger. The fit on a clays gun is going to be different and virtually everyone prefers a bit longer barrel for most courses.

The best advice is to get fitted. Go to a shotgun-specific store and try every one they have. Have a pro check the fit. Adjustable cheeks and buttstocks are worth every penny- unless you can spring for custom fitted woodwork.

If you're gun doesn't fit, you'll break far fewer birds. Bottom line- brand doesn't really matter. If it's a quality shotgun, they all do the same things. I actually shoot better with my Beretta Gold than I do with my Perazzi.

Thanks for the information Chris. I went for the first time this past sunday and had a blast hope to do it again soon. Then I started to think that this could become alot of fun to do. I will head to my local gun shop and discuss what would be best for me. I''ll keep you guy's posted. Thanks again

MattBMiller
03-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Let me know when you want to go gun shopping... :D

Chris
03-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the information Chris. I went for the first time this past sunday and had a blast hope to do it again soon. Then I started to think that this could become alot of fun to do. I will head to my local gun shop and discuss what would be best for me. I''ll keep you guy's posted. Thanks again

It's a great sport and alot of fun. I have several friends I shoot with. I got my son involved when he was about 15 and now at 20 he wipes the floor with me.

This is a great place to start- http://www.sportingclays.net/

You really need to find a shotgun specialty shop. You'll save alot of $$ and frustration in the long run. Some lessons are a very valuable investment. Even after 40+ years of shotgun shooting, I still enjoy and benefit from working with a good teacher. and the more proficient you are, the more fun it is.

Von Bongo
03-27-2009, 04:07 PM

Sea-Dated
03-27-2009, 04:24 PM

:huh::huh::huh: