PDA

View Full Version : It might.. just might.. be... a "Banana"

PARADOX
10-24-2008, 04:29 PM
I felt bad hijacking the Apache thread.
We must abide by the rules as well. :leaving:

It is a 5, 4, 3 strakes. Is it really one of Charley's hulls?
I heard and read some background of the Avanti hulls, but it would be nice to be sure.

PARADOX
10-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Sorry about the pic quality..

CAPO71
10-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Are you taking that to KW ?

PARADOX
10-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Are you taking that to KW ?

Yes.. Doing the THursday run.. and probobly doing something on Saturday.. I got a few friends want to go for a ride.. we just have to find a spot for "rafting" and party. Checking on the SOS get together also... I might have room for one or two on Saturday.. Friday? we just have to see.

Top Banana
10-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Yes.. Doing the THursday run.. and probobly doing something on Saturday.. I got a few friends want to go for a ride.. we just have to find a spot for "rafting" and party. Checking on the SOS get together also... I might have room for one or two on Saturday.. Friday? we just have to see.

Hey can I get a ride in my old boat???

Do the strakes end flat like a step, not rounded out like on the Cigarette?

PARADOX
10-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Hey can I get a ride in my old boat???

Do the strakes end flat like a step, not rounded out like on the Cigarette?

Sir... it would be my pleasure and honor to give you a ride..
If I undertand the strake question correctly.. they just end.. square.. they are not rounded.

I was planning to attend the Aronow run.. I talked to Larry a bunch of times but a few days before I was ready to leave.. I had a $10 part grounded me.. Couldn't get it done in time.. I was very upset missing that historic event.. Next year. :)

Top Banana
10-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Thank you, much appreciated. Yes, they ended square not rounded....you do have a boat from my old Banana mold.

It took 2 years of a very concentrated effort for Cigarette to get the 37.6 to be able to beat that boat. Finally in the Bahamas 200, in 1980, I was leading with Jerry Jacoby dueling with me side by side, we started pulling away as we rounded the Bimini mark and headed toward Freeport and the win......(By the way the Bahamas 200, was actually 205 miles long, and I was leading at the 200 mile mark.) one of my engines starts to tighten up and we come in 2nd by 30 seconds.

That was the first time ever, that a 37.6 or Top Gun ever won a major ocean race. Keith Hazell, who was the throttleman for Jacoby that day, told me after the race that he had to run the boat's trim way over the edge to stay anywhere near us in the rough and in the calm water over the banks too. You have a great design there....very under rated in the high performance world.

I look forward to a ride in Key West and I will bring you one of the racers key chain mementos that were given to the racers at the Aronow race in June....photo below.

I will be down there with one of my new 24' banana boats with an outboard on a bracket on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for sure....send me your cell via the contact form on the Banana site and I'll stay in touch. www.bananaboatco.com

Geronimo36
10-28-2008, 12:18 PM
That's pretty cool!

Hey, those "Sonics" also run really good in the rough!! Very cool to see the lineage.

MarylandMark
10-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Holy Chit Peter- I missed this one!! You are going to have Charlie run your boat!!!

Awesome!!

Mange
10-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Holy Chit Peter- I missed this one!! You are going to have Charlie run your boat!!!

Awesome!!

WOW, somebody are actually talking about running a boat:lurk5:

NJgr8ful
10-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Very cool Paradox. Glad some of the chatter and questions were able to be sorted out here :cool: and now you get to ride with guy who ''built'' your rig! How cool is that?! Enjoy Key West and be safe with Charlie :D

PARADOX
10-29-2008, 07:14 PM
It's waaaaaaay coooool.. :) It's gonna be a great time running a bit.
Once we arrange the time.. etc. I will ask him and his "guests" if he/they won't mind me posting it here, if anyone wants to stop by, and say hello.

But it's up to "them" and I will be courtious and honorable with their privacy of course.

Ratickle
10-29-2008, 07:18 PM
It's waaaaaaay coooool.. :) It's gonna be a great time running a bit.
Once we arrange the time.. etc. I will ask him and his "guests" if he/they won't mind me posting it here, if anyone wants to stop by, and say hello.

But it's up to "them" and I will be courtious and honorable with their privacy of course.

Certainly hope we get to see it, maybe you should race it Saturday.:) You'll have one of the best evers help. Is it too late to enter??

Top Banana
10-29-2008, 08:41 PM
We will be down on Thursday.....staying through Sunday. We will have one of my new 24 Banana Boats with an outboard on a bracket......photos below, so you will know what to look for......and we are staying where else, but Banana Bay Resort and Marina.

We have a reserved slip for the weekend at the Banana Bay Marina, and we will be out and around the harbor and outside the reef in our boat, but I'm really looking forward to giving that old bottom design a workout again in the waves off Key West.

Why don't we work out where all this will take place at the Serious Offshore party on Thursday night. Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

PARADOX
10-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Sounds great. We will schedule the ride at the party, Thursday.

I got s slip at the Bight Marina, (don't know what number yet)
See everyone at the party.

Sea-Dated
10-30-2008, 11:42 AM
That is cool Paradox. You guys have fun and be safe.

PARADOX
10-30-2008, 04:54 PM
THanks SD. MM. NJ.. Rat.. etc.
I'm looking forward to the ride.. It will be just a nice excursion.
However.. Charlie will be at the helm for a while.. we might end up in Cuba.. Remember... he is a "true" offshore racer.. not much turning around bouyies. Just flat down.. FT.. untill he sees land again, before a turn...
(I better check on my passport) :biggrinjester:

Top Banana
11-01-2008, 10:01 AM
However.. Charlie will be at the helm for a while.. we might end up in Cuba.. Remember... he is a "true" offshore racer.. not much turning around bouyies. Just flat down.. FT.. untill he sees land again, before a turn...

In the old days.....had to walk to school in the snow uphill both ways etc etc etc.......Seriously, we really did have some great racing back then at Key West.

We headed out of the harbor and went to the tower and took a left and ran up the coast 5 miles or so, then back into the harbor so the folks would know who was leading and then the fun began, the run to Dry Tortugas.....take a look at a map and you will really appreciate the distance....checkpoint off Dry Tortugas and back to the finish in the harbor.

One year Brownie was the far checkpoint in a big Magnum at Dry Tortugas, the water was so rough he couldn't get the anchor to catch, so he had to keep the engines running and stay on position until all the boats had passed or withdrawn.

Here is a little shot of Betty and Sammy James doing the Key West fly by. Pete, I am prety sure we can higher than this with your Avanti with the new power you have......just kidding!!!

MarylandMark
11-01-2008, 10:11 AM
Pete, I am prety sure we can higher than this with your Avanti with the new power you have......just kidding!!!

Double dog dare....

PARADOX
11-01-2008, 10:29 AM
You need a "pilot's license" to do that kind of flying. I don't have one.. I don't think I can pass the physical... or the mental for that matter.
Getting the boat ready as we speak.. Doing a quick trial run this PM make sure everything is OK.

Looking forward to KW and our ride.

(I wonder where can a borrow a parachute? ) :biggrinjester:

cosmic12
11-01-2008, 11:09 AM
In the old days.....
Here is a little shot of Betty and Sammy James doing the Key West fly by. Pete, I am prety sure we can higher than this with your Avanti with the new power you have......just kidding!!!

Man thats nuts! I was look'n at that and think'n how many newer boats could even handle one of those jumps let alone a season of them.

Bobby Saccenti
11-01-2008, 11:14 AM
In the old days.....had to walk to school in the snow uphill both ways etc etc etc.......Seriously, we really did have some great racing back then at Key West.

We headed out of the harbor and went to the tower and took a left and ran up the coast 5 miles or so, then back into the harbor so the folks would know who was leading and then the fun began, the run to Dry Tortugas.....take a look at a map and you will really appreciate the distance....checkpoint off Dry Tortugas and back to the finish in the harbor.

One year Brownie was the far checkpoint in a big Magnum at Dry Tortugas, the water was so rough he couldn't get the anchor to catch, so he had to keep the engines running and stay on position until all the boats had passed or withdrawn.

Charley

Key West Races are my favorite, especially going to the Dry Tortugas

1972 Hennessey Grand Prix. My first race with Roger Hanks 36’ Cigarette the Blonde. What a way to start off a racing. Pictures taken just after tuning Smith Shoal Light, heading back to Key West harbor.

Great Race, we won first place overall.

NJgr8ful
11-01-2008, 12:46 PM
The term would be WFO ...... "wide f'n open!" :D :D :26::sifone:
Enjoy Pete and crew :)

Top Banana
11-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Charley

Key West Races are my favorite, especially going to the Dry Tortugas

1972 Hennessey Grand Prix. My first race with Roger Hanks 36’ Cigarette the Blonde. What a way to start off a racing. Pictures taken just after tuning Smith Shoal Light, heading back to Key West harbor.

Great Race, we won first place overall.

Thanks Bobby......how can I get these guys to understand what we went through???

I would like everyone to take a moment and really look at the first photo on the top left.....as Bobby said, that is him in a 36 foot long, 10 foot wide Cigarette race boat.

HOW BIG IS THE FACE OF THE WAVE HE IS CLIMBING????

This is one of those cases where a picture is worth a thousand words. So let's be conservative here.....not half the boat length...that would be an 18 foot wave....come on, we said be conservative....okay... maybe only 10 feet.

Right those guys were racing in 10 foot waves...minimum. This is exactly what HORBA would like for all the modern day racers to experience, just once, they would love it.

Below here is another photo of racing in Argentina, where the waves were so big....oh never mind...... you can see for yourselves. Richie Powers, Bobby Saccenti and many others raced at speed in this kind of stuff

MarylandMark
11-01-2008, 05:15 PM
This is exactly what HORBA would like for all the modern day racers to experience, just once, they would love it.

No disrespect to the modern day racers but I'd love to see that type of racing as well.

PARADOX
11-01-2008, 06:00 PM
I did some racing in he early and mid 80's.
One of the races on Lake Michigan...I broke 3 stringers. The time we were getting back to the finish line.. the boat felt like a one of those Wall Mart baby pools. The sides were bucklng at every wave. I could feel the hull giving like a plastic tub.. The term "resin bucket" has no meaning to most untill you get one of these old buckets into some serious seas.
We finsihed the race,, but it took months to repair all the stringers.

The ocean has some rough attitudes,, but if you ever get through one of Lake Michigans "bad day"... you also have some adventures to talk about.

No "stringer repairs" on our ride Charlie..

Ratickle
11-01-2008, 06:11 PM

Oh come on Dad, just one please, pretty please:biggrinjester:??

Top Banana
11-02-2008, 08:29 PM
I did some racing in he early and mid 80's.
One of the races on Lake Michigan...I broke 3 stringers. The time we were getting back to the finish line.. the boat felt like a one of those Wall Mart baby pools. The sides were bucklng at every wave. I could feel the hull giving like a plastic tub.. The term "resin bucket" has no meaning to most untill you get one of these old buckets into some serious seas.
We finsihed the race,, but it took months to repair all the stringers.

The ocean has some rough attitudes,, but if you ever get through one of Lake Michigans "bad day"... you also have some adventures to talk about.

Phil....don't worry, at our age we are more concerned with our own "stringers" than the boats.

Just remember as old as we are, we have earned the right to say..."The older we get, the faster we were!!"

It will be a really special experience, to feel that old bottom design of your boat under me again.....thanks again for the opportunity.

PARADOX
11-03-2008, 01:35 PM
From the top fruit' :) >>>>>>
It will be a really special experience, to feel that old bottom design of your boat under me again.....thanks again for the opportunity.

It will be my pleasure and honor Charlie.. Really looking forward to this.

Just don't get carried away with ths "under me" thingie..
This thread will end up in BB in a second. :rofl:

PARADOX
11-30-2008, 11:30 PM
Saw that Sonic thread.. So how does it goes?

Al Sonics are a Bananas but not all Bananas are Sonics. All Coyotes are Bananas and some Avantis (33's) are Coyotes?
I'm getting a head ache. :biggrinjester:

All I can say the hulls are great.