PDA

View Full Version : In hull tranducer

candyman925
03-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Has anyone installed an inhull transducer in the engine compartment of a stepped hull formula.I have a 2004 382 and I would like to mount the transducer in the engine compartment.

Magicfloat
03-25-2009, 08:11 PM
We installed one today in a 2000 312,the factory transducer was in a hole cut thru the liner, we dug it out and glued the new transducer there.

candyman925
03-25-2009, 08:30 PM
So you dont think the air from the step hull will bother the reading?

Offshoredrillin
03-26-2009, 07:52 AM
We installed one today in a 2000 312,the factory transducer was in a hole cut thru the liner, we dug it out and glued the new transducer there.
i need to do that on my tiger Robert, how hard is it to do, I'm a little nervous about poking around the bottom with sharp tools if ya know what i mean :)

HPOffshore
03-26-2009, 02:34 PM
I don't think you have a liner, Rob.

Offshoredrillin
03-26-2009, 04:48 PM
I don't think you have a liner, Rob.
I dont, but do ya just use a chisel and chip out the epoxy on top and then put the new one in with new? never done one :)

HPOffshore
03-27-2009, 01:20 PM
...smooth-off a spot, and glue it down with either resin or 4200/5200. Make sure to not have any air-voids underneath the ducer. Then go looking for some thin water to check it out. :)

Offshoredrillin
03-27-2009, 02:33 PM
...smooth-off a spot, and glue it down with either resin or 4200/5200. Make sure to not have any air-voids underneath the ducer. Then go looking for some thin water to check it out. :)
really? that's it? I don't need to get the other one out? just slather it up with 5200 an stick it? friggin awesome! you da man Hugh!:biggrinjester:

Magicfloat
03-28-2009, 02:21 PM
We use the epoxy that Lowrance or Humminbird supplies,resin is also good. Just don't use silicone sealer,it kills the signal for some reason.

Offshoredrillin
03-28-2009, 02:30 PM
thats great to know Robert, I was dreading digging out the other puck. now that I know i can do it this way I will do it further back and under an engine to stop the wire from getting stepped on.

4mulafastech
03-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Has anyone installed an inhull transducer in the engine compartment of a stepped hull formula.I have a 2004 382 and I would like to mount the transducer in the engine compartment.

I have a 2006 292 which is a twin stepped hull like your 382. The factory depth finder didn't work very well and I replaced the thru hull transducer with one compatible with the SC5000 smartcraft display. The factory tranducer is located under the hinged step entering the cuddy cabin and this is where I installed the new one. I researched this and you MUST install the transducer forward the the steps in the hull or you will not get a good reading when on plane. The factory transducer was smaller in diameter than the new one I was installing. There IS a liner, so I had an experienced shop with the right tools enlarge the hole in the liner. The new transducer has a housing that I siliconed to the hull and filled with mineral oil. The transducer attaches to the housing and is sealed with an o-ring. The signal shoots through the mineral oil and hull. Works GREAT, even running 70 mph!:) I would not install your transducer in the engine compartment unless you don't care to see the depth while underway.

Offshoredrillin
03-28-2009, 07:08 PM
I have a 2006 292 which is a twin stepped hull like your 382. The factory depth finder didn't work very well and I replaced the thru hull transducer with one compatible with the SC5000 smartcraft display. The factory tranducer is located under the hinged step entering the cuddy cabin and this is where I installed the new one. I researched this and you MUST install the transducer forward the the steps in the hull or you will not get a good reading when on plane. The factory transducer was smaller in diameter than the new one I was installing. There IS a liner, so I had an experienced shop with the right tools enlarge the hole in the liner. The new transducer has a housing that I siliconed to the hull and filled with mineral oil. The transducer attaches to the housing and is sealed with an o-ring. The signal shoots through the mineral oil and hull. Works GREAT, even running 70 mph!:) I would not install your transducer in the engine compartment unless you don't care to see the depth while underway.
mine is in the engine compartment and shows fine, but I dont have a step hull.

4mulafastech
03-28-2009, 08:24 PM
mine is in the engine compartment and shows fine, but I dont have a step hull.

Yup, no problem mounting near the transom for a non-stepped hull. The issue with steps is they aerate the water and this causes interference with the sonar. The transducer needs a solid path when sending the sound waves to the bottom and back. That's why any gaps between a liner and hull or air bubbles in the epoxy can cause problems too.

offthefront
04-06-2009, 05:37 AM
i need to do that on my tiger Robert, how hard is it to do, I'm a little nervous about poking around the bottom with sharp tools if ya know what i mean :)

get some "plumbers Putty" and stick the Transducer where you want to put it and try it first .... I even put a ziplock bag with sand on top but the plumbers putty seemed to stick pretty good ....m

offthefront
04-06-2009, 05:45 AM
We use the epoxy that Lowrance or Humminbird supplies,resin is also good. Just don't use silicone sealer,it kills the signal for some reason.

Robert .... Is the hull solid in the engine room on a 311?

Ratickle
04-06-2009, 07:50 AM

Is it okay to steal this information for a stepped hull Black Thunder.....:)