PDA

View Full Version : In hull transducer

candyman925
03-25-2009, 09:06 AM
Has anyone installed an in hull transducer in the engine compartment of a boat with a step hull? I have a 2004 382 and that seems like the best spot that would stay in contact with the water.

MattBMiller
03-25-2009, 09:37 AM
My transducer is about a foot from my transom on my stepped hull. Seems to read pretty consistently.

Knot 4 Me
03-26-2009, 10:11 AM
Has anyone installed an in hull transducer in the engine compartment of a boat with a step hull? I have a 2004 382 and that seems like the best spot that would stay in contact with the water.By in-hull, are you referring to gluing (epoxy) a transducer inside the hull in the engine compartment? Most transducers today are thru-hull, requiring you to drill a big 'ol hole in the bottom of your boat. I would contact Formula on where they place their transducers from the factory.

Sydwayz
03-26-2009, 11:27 AM
By in-hull, are you referring to gluing (epoxy) a transducer inside the hull in the engine compartment? Most transducers today are thru-hull, requiring you to drill a big 'ol hole in the bottom of your boat. I would contact Formula on where they place their transducers from the factory.

Not true. Almost all "pucks" are epoxied to the inside of the bottom of the boat. Often, they are in the engine compartment. If you have a cored fiberglass hull structure, it's not going read well. If you have a solid fiberglass hull structure, it ought to do well as long as the epoxy is solid and thorough with no air bubbles or gaps.

Usually, the best advice for a step bottom boat is to put the puck/transducer in front of the foremost step on the boat, as close to the bottom of "V" as possible.

Knot 4 Me
03-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Not true. Almost all "pucks" are epoxied to the inside of the bottom of the boat. Often, they are in the engine compartment. If you have a cored fiberglass hull structure, it's not going read well. If you have a solid fiberglass hull structure, it ought to do well as long as the epoxy is solid and thorough with no air bubbles or gaps.

Usually, the best advice for a step bottom boat is to put the puck/transducer in front of the foremost step on the boat, as close to the bottom of "V" as possible.Are you sure? Most boats I have seen in the last 10 years have thru-hull transducers, not ones epoxied to the inside of the hull bottom. Of the 4 boats I have owned, all have been thru-hull. I installed a depth finder years ago on the boat I had at the time and used one of the pucks that you epoxy in the engine compartment. This was on a solid fiberglass bottom boat. It worked right about half the time. Swapped it out with a thru-hull transducer and it worked all the time.

candyman925
03-26-2009, 12:31 PM
I did call Formula and they put them under the fuel tank when it is being built. I think the step hull brings in air so the transducer would have a hard time reading.