PDA

View Full Version : Best shocks for a GMC 2500?

JupiterSunsation
03-24-2009, 03:33 PM
03 2500 Diesel Crew 2WD with 135K miles.........Time for new shocks, what do you guys recommend? This is a daily driver, want stock ride or better.

formulabill
03-24-2009, 11:24 PM
On my last two 3500 duallys i put the rancho 5000s on them. Has a great ride with them. Those shocks of yours were worn out 100,000 miles ago. Good luck.

Griff
03-24-2009, 11:33 PM
I'm at about 130k on my 2500HD as well. I think I'm going to go with Bilsteins--about $250 set off ebay. I also might go with the Skyjackers($150 set) which look just like a Rancho with a different name.

smittyseng
03-27-2009, 02:50 AM
Bilsteins all the way,I have converted my last 4 duramaxes to them. They tow night and day better than the stockers. I couldn't get the rears last year and made the mistake of buying the edelbrock ias rears on advice from others on OSO,they rode better than stock empty but are terrible towing,no jounce control at all,just got rear bilsteins to replace them,Smitty

Knot 4 Me
03-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Bilsteins. www.kennedydiesel.com

Griff
03-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Bilsteins. www.kennedydiesel.com

They have great pricing!!!!!! $210 + $10 shipping.
I just ordered a set.

Sea-Dated
03-27-2009, 04:41 PM
The Rancho 9000's are great because they can be adjusted to find the ride that you want. They are great but I have never used them on an HD truck.

Hilltop Kyle
03-27-2009, 05:26 PM
I just put Bilsteins on my 2500HD it's what everyone recommended to me. They were right! Truck rides great.

RLJ676
03-27-2009, 05:35 PM
I just put Bilsteins on my 2500HD it's what everyone recommended to me. They were right! Truck rides great.

Ditto.

Night and day difference, even on a brand new truck. Bilstein 5100's are the only way to go.

FastDonzi
03-27-2009, 10:09 PM
If you have stock size/weight wheels then the bilsteins are great, when you add bigger heavier wheels and tires they overwhelm the bilsteins and make them seem like the stockers because they where designed for the stock weight wheels, if you got bigger wheels and tires get the adjustable shocks so you can compensate for the extra weight---you'll thank me later.

JupiterSunsation
03-27-2009, 10:20 PM
If you have stock size/weight wheels then the bilsteins are great, when you add bigger heavier wheels and tires they overwhelm the bilsteins and make them seem like the stockers because they where designed for the stock weight wheels, if you got bigger wheels and tires get the adjustable shocks so you can compensate for the extra weight---you'll thank me later.

Thanks for the tip.......truck is all stock since I use it for work and don't want a bling bling effect......

RLJ676
03-27-2009, 10:46 PM

Bilstein has several shocks, if you buy the right ones there's no problem. I have them with my bigger/heavier wheels and tires, and it is so far better than stock.

If you look at dieselplace.com, which is devoted to these trucks, Bilsteins are the unanimous choice pretty much. Only guys with big lifts and bling that want reservoirs will go with King's or Fox. For everyone else, Bilstein is always recommended by all.

Griff
03-28-2009, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the tip.......truck is all stock since I use it for work and don't want a bling bling effect......

Mine is stock also, so they should work great.

Griff
04-01-2009, 01:38 PM
I put the Bilsteins on last nite and what a difference!!!!!!!!! I only drove the truck a few miles, but it rode great. I didn't realize how bad the old shocks were until I got them off. With a 130k, they were shot. I should have replaced them a long time ago.

Tim G.
04-29-2009, 08:46 PM
I had rancho 5000s on one truck.. They did a good job for sure....even hauling /towing.

My 04 2500 GM got Bilstiens at less than 10,000 miles. I ordered the 2" longer fronts and turned the torsion bars up a bit. Truck now has 45,000 miles
The truck was instantly better. Turning up the t bars helped the nose diving...
I believe I bought them from Kennedy..

HPBoats83
06-06-2009, 11:24 AM

I can't say that I agree with this. I have the bilstein 5100's on my truck and it rides and tows great. I believe that norcaltruck has a sale going buy 3 get 1 free. http://www.norcaltruck.com/

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee41/racerngr1/Lifted2.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee41/racerngr1/Rig.jpg