PDA

View Full Version : Repaint dash consoles

gripit
03-23-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm looking for advise on repainting my dash consoles. First I have to decide to either keep them black or to change to white. What paint should I use? Would it be possible to roll & tip with perfection as an option?
Please give me your imput. Thanks

glassdave
03-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Brush/tip method wont work to well on a compound surface like that, I would use a good single stage like PPG's Concept DCC. Great stuff and can be easily sanded and buffed if need be.

I could go either way on the color, sorry i cant help ya on that one :cool:

Offshoredrillin
03-24-2009, 07:33 AM
I cant comment on the process, but I think white would give it the best and most updated feel and look.

Ratickle
03-24-2009, 07:47 AM
Opinion only,

If the boat has stripes/graphics that match the interior/cabin, match those same colors on the dash. If you're gonna take it all apart, make it flow into the boat color scheme.

If the boats all white, go with white.

Sunsation96
03-24-2009, 08:44 AM
Go white! update the look

Magic Medicine
03-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Go white! update the look

What he said.

gripit
03-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Brush/tip method wont work to well on a compound surface like that, I would use a good single stage like PPG's Concept DCC. Great stuff and can be easily sanded and buffed if need be.

I could go either way on the color, sorry i cant help ya on that one :cool:

Glassdave,

What do you mean by compound surface?

Thanks

Offshoredrillin
03-24-2009, 07:12 PM
Glassdave,

Thanks
I think what he means is to do them white, you would have to remove everything including dash panels. then sand them and spray them, to me that would leave the best look and update it it for the most bang for the buck.

Buoy
03-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Glassdave,

Thanks

I'm guessing trying to "tip" them with all the angles involved in the dash would be a nightmare. Trying to "pick up" at the bend in the dash. I'm guessing a large flat surface would be much easier to do this.

But I'm just guessing here. Shooting it sounds like the way to go.

gripit
03-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Bouy, I understand. I agree with Rob that I will have to take my time and do a precision job. I will prob make this a "fall" project.

Offshore Ginger
03-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Bouy, I understand. I agree with Rob that I will have to take my time and do a precision job. I will prob make this a "fall" project. Why make it a fall project just shoot it with PPG wet sand , buff and be done with it , i would like to mention that a compound surface is either round, curved, or has somewhat of a crown and tipping is done with a roller and a brush on a smooth surface ( hull sides ) because it is self leveling, i have seen some awsome paint jobs done on boats by a local marina here in Holland Mich using the tipping method and if i was you i would recomend PPG's Concept DCC like Dave mentioned for the pure fact that you could be the worst painter in the world and look like a pro after all is said and done .

cig1988
03-26-2009, 04:33 AM
Evan

I would do it now so you'll enjoy the season. When I did the '89 it was late into the season (August) & wished it was done sooner. Since you'll be changing the gauges I would strongly recomend bezels....it will make the job. Most of your parts will be removed and refinished indoors I would assume. Dust is a major factor in any paint you'll use but can be sanded/polished out.

VetteLT193
03-26-2009, 08:36 AM
I'd keep it black. it's coming back anyway. Plus, if you go white you have to change everything else. shifters, switches, etc. because it will all look like crap.

Chrome livorsi monster gauges with the black carbon background would make the dash pop.