PDA

View Full Version : Save money by ensuring you have all available discounts. - Boat Insurance

insurancegoddess
03-20-2009, 10:42 AM
With the economy being as "interesting" as it is, times call for pinching pennies and saving what you can. So, I thought it would be beneficial to provide you all with a checklist that you could use to ensure that your carrier is giving you all available discounts that you qualify for. Keep in mind all carriers are different and some will offer discounts that other carriers won't. Make sure to contact your agents and ensure you are recieving all discounts that you qualify for. Remember, often times you have to be your biggest advocate and ask for them.

Available discounts may include:

•Vessel Safety Checks - Obtaining one of these free inspections from the Coastal Guard Auxiliary is painless way to lower insurance premiums with many insurance carriers.

•Training - Boat owners who complete boating safety programs like America's Boating Course can qualify for reduced premiums. Members of the U.S. Power Squadron can see major reduction through their organization's insurance program as they become more qualified as a squadron member.

•Layup and Storage - Risk and liability are a function of use. If you pull your boat every season, check with your agent and verify this is calculated in your premium.

•Equipment - Some insurance carriers offer premium reductions for installation of safety devices like GPS navigation equipment, fire extinguishers, vapor detectors, EPIRBs, high water alarms and the like. Check with your agent for additional ideas.

•Mooring - The condition and operation of the marina you moor in can help with the cost of insurance.

•Diesel Power - Diesel engines offer a number a safety benefits for boaters compared to gasoline powered boats. Use of a marine diesel engine could lower premiums.

•Deductibles - Boat owners that can afford a higher deductible will see a difference in their premium. Marine policies can express deductibles as percentage of the policy value or a flat amount.

•Pay your insurance bills on time.

•Don't let your policy lapse through winter and restart it in spring, you lose renewal discounts.

•Prior ownership discount.

Now is also a great time to check around for rates for your boat. I would love and welcome the opportunity to provide you with a competitive rate for your boat insurance. Please call me at 480-357-9663 or visit our website to compelte a quote request online. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to talking with many of you! Have a great weekend!