PDA

View Full Version : Old School

fobes
03-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Went out to dinner Sat. night with my wife and her friend and boyfriend, Dave. I am wondering how the conversation will go as I had only met Dave one other time. Dave and I get talking about boats and then boat racing. He tells me that back in the 80's he started going down to Key West for the Worlds. He was there the year of the Lavin's accident. He and his friends chartered a big sportfish and watched from the course. He commented on all the chase helicopters and how low they followed the boats. He also mentioned having a pit pass and getting to board Popeyes one time and meeting both Al and George Morales. He has a program from one of the years that I'm trying to get my hands on. So much for wondering how the conversation would go. I didn't want to talk to the wife or her friend after the boat topic got going.
Anyone else have any good firsthand stories that haven't been posted yet?

Sean Stinson
03-16-2009, 02:35 PM
What was Dave's last name

fobes
03-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Sean:

Dave's last name is Keene.

Happy B-Day by the way.

Matt

Buoy
03-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Anyone else have any good firsthand stories that haven't been posted yet?

Are you referring to stories of meeting someone for the first time, and then realize you are both offshore boaters?

Or stories of the old races?

I have a few of the first, but unfortunately none of the second.

fobes
03-16-2009, 07:32 PM
I had only met Dave once before, years ago. Before dinner Sat. night I was thinking about how the conversation would go, if it would be awkward or not. As soon as we go on the subject of boats and he knew what he was talking about it was great. He told me that just the other day he had come across a program from one of the races and was going to let me check it out.

Buoy
03-16-2009, 08:18 PM
OK, a few years ago, the Co. me and my wife both work for bought another lab.
We were enlisted to drive out that night, and go there to take inventory. No one else was available that weekend, and inventory needed to be verified.
I was wearing a Cigarette denim shirt.
After being there for about an hour the next morning counting inventory, the previous owner noticed my shirt, and she started talking boats with me.
Turns out her and her husband (who is also a member here) were running a 43 Black Thunder.
Have since become friends, and talk back and forth once in a while.

Also,
Got talking with one of our sales reps a few years ago, and she mentioned their boaters.
I asked what kind of boat.
35 Fountain X
Made the Cumberland run with them 2 years ago.
Kinda funny when you run into someone that knows something about offshore in a work or other setting.
Doesn't happen very often.

Sean Stinson
03-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks Matt.....I always find it amazing how we are all in a hurry to do something but when you hear boat the brakes get applied hard and amazingly you have all the time in the world to talk about props and setups and ooh and aah

baddogz28
03-17-2009, 10:58 AM
At the dealership I work at, noticed a guy with an old school race jacket on- turns out he used to run a 38 Scarab with a couple 600's...

I asked if I could buy the jacket from him.

He's like 'no chance.' LOL.

fobes
03-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Love the old school clothing. I have a couple of Ft. Apache shirts that I bought there and an Apache tank top I bought at Everglades.