PDA

View Full Version : Steering Diagram

CausinTrouble
03-15-2009, 12:53 PM
I need a diagram for hydro steering, dual ram, single drive. I had one but cant find it. Need from the helm to the rams.

Thanks

MOBILEMERCMAN
03-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Here is one from an IMCO catalog. HO-1 is hi press #8 HO-2 is 3/8 return push loc low pressure return

CausinTrouble
03-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks Jim

CausinTrouble
03-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Another question.

I have Hynautic NON assist hydro steering now..My question is how many turns lock to lock is typical on this system ?

MOBILEMERCMAN
03-15-2009, 06:09 PM
The the diagram I sent is for power hydraulic. Do you have hynautic with the pressure can? They are something like 4 or 4.5 turns as I remember. Maybe even as much as 5 depending on which rams.

MOBILEMERCMAN
03-15-2009, 06:26 PM
This may help determine which helm you have.

The bigger the helm volume wise the less turns.

Steering systems have come a long way since when that system was developed

CausinTrouble
03-15-2009, 08:44 PM
The the diagram I sent is for power hydraulic. Do you have hynautic with the pressure can? They are something like 4 or 4.5 turns as I remember. Maybe even as much as 5 depending on which rams.

Correct I have the preasure can. I guess I need to keep turning the wheel and get all the air out of the system. I read on oso that if its not bleed off right the wheel wont stop turning. Which is what mine is doing. :ack2:

I wanted the diagram so I can figure out if I want to convert it to power assisit.

MOBILEMERCMAN
03-15-2009, 09:09 PM
That system does not convert to power assist. You would have to replace it. The pressure can needs to have no less than 10 lbs to work. The pressure pushes fluid to helm. No pressure no worky.

CausinTrouble
03-16-2009, 08:23 PM
I know I would need a diffrent helm.power steering pump and resiover to convert it.

As for now..I have 25-30 psi in the can and the wheel turns 12-13 times before the drive stops...but the wheel does not stop turning...is this right ?

Thanks again

MOBILEMERCMAN
03-16-2009, 09:30 PM
No it is not. The drive should stop and steering should stop as well.

CausinTrouble
03-17-2009, 07:03 PM
Any idea why its not stopping ? or is the helm bad ?

MOBILEMERCMAN
03-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Is this new on the boat? Has it been apart or has it just stopped working like it used to?

CausinTrouble
03-18-2009, 05:42 PM
The boat sat for a couple years with out a motor. When I got it the wheel was "stuck" then one day my little girl was playing in the boat and the wheel "broke" loose. I put fulid in the can the other day and air then started turning the wheel.. The drive started moving after a few fill ups and more air..Now the wheel keeps turning but the drive stops. there is a clicking noise coming from the wheel (helm) as it turns...

MOBILEMERCMAN
03-18-2009, 07:59 PM
It sounds like the helm is bad. The pressure can has check valves and pressure reliefs too.

CausinTrouble
03-19-2009, 08:51 PM
I will check all the valves and fittings...Damn I dont want to replace it

Anchored
04-08-2009, 01:46 PM
I have the same one on my Magnum,

Jeff

imco offshore
06-23-2009, 09:01 PM
i have some very good used IMCO steering if you decide to change out that system i have 2 wing plates 2 rams all the outside hoses. the thru transom fittings and a ps line filter all have the polished ss bolts heims joints ect... i even have a new rear drive cap plate for the drive all imco. i,ll sell ya right. jim and i race the IMCO SVL RACE BOAT good luck george jr

Warlock28SXT
06-27-2009, 10:20 AM
The boat sat for a couple years with out a motor. When I got it the wheel was "stuck" then one day my little girl was playing in the boat and the wheel "broke" loose. I put fulid in the can the other day and air then started turning the wheel.. The drive started moving after a few fill ups and more air..Now the wheel keeps turning but the drive stops. there is a clicking noise coming from the wheel (helm) as it turns...

This might be a dumb question but, is it full of fluid? Mine (power hydo) did the same after putting the motor back in. The pump fell over and dumped. It took quite a bit of fluid to fill it and make the wheel stop when the drive did. Until then it was air in the system air rating at the helm causing the wheel not to stop.