PDA

View Full Version : Raising X Dim - $$$$$$

Geronimo36
03-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Dean or anyone else.... got a quick question for ya...

Work has been really crazy and I'm not sure I'll have time to do my X-Dimension project....

Got a quote of $1500 each side with me doing all the de-rigging and re-rigging...

Sound high, low??? The plan was to fill the cut-outs and holes, raise and re-cut.

Thanks in advance!

Frank

MOBILEMERCMAN
03-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Frank , Does that include exhaust holes and outside finish and paint?

Offshore Ginger
03-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Frank i raised the X dimension on a small P.Q. last fall & charged him $1500 and that was for just doing the transom that never had Thru hull exhaust which was soon to follow along with respraying the transom. Frank when raiseing the X dimension you only have to fill the bottom part of the cut out where the drive was & and all the holes . Frank all and all if that is for everything that is a good price .:)

Offshoredrillin
03-15-2009, 07:12 PM
cant you just go with shorties? surely you cant be going more than 2"?

Griff
03-15-2009, 11:25 PM

I think he has SSM drives. No shorites for them.

Offshoredrillin
03-16-2009, 06:30 AM
I think he has SSM drives. No shorites for them.
he has or had B max uppers.

Bill N
03-16-2009, 08:25 AM
What are you waiting for thats cheaper than you can buy lowers. Tow the boat down Saturday & we'll lift them out!

Geronimo36
03-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Frank , Does that include exhaust holes and outside finish and paint?

Yep, includes everything including Gel instead of paint.

Geronimo36
03-16-2009, 09:15 AM

Shorties are $7500... rip off...

Geronimo36
03-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Frank i raised the X dimension on a small P.Q. last fall & charged him $1500 and that was for just doing the transom that never had Thru hull exhaust which was soon to follow along with respraying the transom. Frank when raiseing the X dimension you only have to fill the bottom part of the cut out where the drive was & and all the holes . Frank all and all if that is for everything that is a good price .:)

Thanks! As a matter of fact, he said he'd only fill the lower part as high as it's needed to re-cut ad fill all 4 exhaust holes. I guess I'm just too damn lazy to do it myself... I dunno, maybe I will cause supplies will be minimal.......

MOBILEMERCMAN
03-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Yep, includes everything including Gel instead of paint.

Seems like a good price to me.

Geronimo36
03-16-2009, 01:10 PM
Seems like a good price to me.

Jimmy, you've done tons of rigging so if I go up an inch and a half, do you have an idea approximately how far back I'll have to move the forward offshore brackets that are mounted on the stringers?

Griff
03-16-2009, 03:30 PM
he has or had B max uppers.

In that case, I would look for a pair of used shorties.

I agree, they are too expensive, but a heck of a lot less work.

Geronimo36
03-16-2009, 03:46 PM
In that case, I would look for a pair of used shorties.

I agree, they are too expensive, but a heck of a lot less work.

Lookin at around $5K for used and $2K in new BMax vertical shafts cause you can't use Bravo shafts.:leaving:

Looks like I'm going it all myself. I haven't made up my mind 100% but I'm leaning that way.

My labor is free and I'll probably have a couple hundred in supplies and I'll have the best in the business (Bob Saccenti) guiding me thru the process.. I may even call on Offshore Ginger and Glass Dave for some moral support! ;)

Offshoredrillin
03-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Lookin at around $5K for used and $2K in new BMax vertical shafts cause you can't use Bravo shafts.:leaving:

Looks like I'm going it all myself. I haven't made up my mind 100% but I'm leaning that way.

My labor is free and I'll probably have a couple hundred in supplies and I'll have the best in the business (Bob Saccenti) guiding me thru the process.. I may even call on Offshore Ginger and Glass Dave for some moral support! ;)
I'm sure you know this but how much room will it leave under the hatch for the blowers? measure twice cut once.

Geronimo36
03-16-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm sure you know this but how much room will it leave under the hatch for the blowers? measure twice cut once.

Thanks for thinkin of me Rob, it was definitely an area I checked. :)

I currently have 1 1/2 - 2" of clearance under the lowest part of the hatch and the top of the flame arrestor. Worst cast I might have to cut two small half moon shaped reliefs at the rear 4-5" of the engine hatch but I wont have to modify the sun pad at all.

Looks like I will start on the project when I get back from Cali in a few weeks.

Offshoredrillin
03-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Thanks for thinkin of me Rob, it was definitely an area I checked. :)

I currently have 1 1/2 - 2" of clearance under the lowest part of the hatch and the top of the flame arrestor. Worst cast I might have to cut two small half moon shaped reliefs at the rear 4-5" of the engine hatch but I wont have to modify the sun pad at all.

Looks like I will start on the project when I get back from Cali in a few weeks.
in a few weeks or four, it will be middle of April, you'll start and it will wind up being a 4 week project by the time the tangibles kick in with Murphys law.
know what, I'm going to say what quite a few have said to me. leave it alone. when you're out with your wife and the baby, you wont be at top end anyhow. we all get the itch to do the lil tweaks, and I am with mine, but not moving engines and such. by raising it your might get a mph or two? your boat looks and runs great in the mid to upper 80's... that is perfect in a 36 foot boat that will go through anything. just my 2 cents :)

Perlmudder
03-16-2009, 07:12 PM
in a few weeks or four, it will be middle of April, you'll start and it will wind up being a 4 week project by the time the tangibles kick in with Murphys law.
know what, I'm going to say what quite a few have said to me. leave it alone. when you're out with your wife and the baby, you wont be at top end anyhow. we all get the itch to do the lil tweaks, and I am with mine, but not moving engines and such. by raising it your might get a mph or two? your boat looks and runs great in the mid to upper 80's... that is perfect in a 36 foot boat that will go through anything. just my 2 cents :)

ain't that the truth! maybe he can even squeeze out those last couple mphs with new props?

Blue Thunder
03-16-2009, 07:16 PM
I just did mine, 2" higher. I'm just now rerigging the engine room and will have engines in in a couple weeks. Mine was 3k to remove transom wood, install new wood, fill all holes and regel the exterior. I (with help) cut all the holes except the drain hole. It looks like new. I will rearrange the hinges on the hatch to get the blower/carb clearance. I'm thinking 4mph is not out of the question. My new x will be round about 4.25".

BT :sifone:

Geronimo36
03-17-2009, 10:00 AM

Rob, thanks for the input.

since I'm not really using the boat this year I don't have a schedule. :(

A little more history. The reason I'm changing it is after talking in detail with Bob the last couple years we relized my boat was originally built with 365 magnums and the X Dimension was set up for 3 Blade Mirage props. Fast forward a number of years and now I have 830 hp and 4 blade Bravo 1's and the X Dimension is 1 1/2" inches lower than where it's supposed to be with this power and prop.

Do I need to change it? No... Why do I want to change it??? Because if I run 3 Blade Mirage's which is what it was set up for, cruise speed will suck. Plus, with the drives being deeper than normal it's harder on equipment, both the drives and the engines.

By moving the drives up I will have a little higher slip, which in my case is a good thing but far less drag so in the end I kill two birds with one stone and the boat will run in the low 90's which is where it's supposed to run with teh amount of power I have. :sifone:

I agree with the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" saying and it was my OSO signature for almost 5 years but in my opinion it's broke so I'm fixing it. I've wanted to do it for the past 3 years and now that I wont be using the boat this year I have lots of time to get er done! :blush5:

MarylandMark
03-17-2009, 02:02 PM
now that I wont be using the boat this year I have lots of time to get er done!

:(

glassdave
03-17-2009, 02:33 PM
good talking to you Frank, post pics when you get going on it. :cool:

Offshore Ginger
03-17-2009, 02:55 PM
good talking to you Frank, post pics when you get going on it. :cool: It was also good to talk with you Frank , take care my friend:)

Geronimo36
03-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Will do guys, thanks for all the input!

Geronimo36
03-29-2009, 07:29 PM
got back from San Jose on Friday night... Got the engines unhooked and ready to be pulled today and I'm making arrangements to pull them this weekend..

I hope to finish de-rigging after I get the egines pulled and start on the the glass work shortly there after. :)

also, looking for some marine plywood dealers in NJ if anyone knows? Also, looking for an aluminum stock dealer in NJ so I can get some new angle brackets for the forward mounts.

baywatch
03-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Great Thread!!! keep us updated.

You give me hope that some day I will be able to put some more ponies under the hatch!!!

Geronimo36
03-30-2009, 09:55 AM
No problem Baywatch!

I found the plywood; turns out there's a place right around the corner from me (US Mahogony Corp). They have 3/4" sheets for about $100 so I'm going to epoxy two pieces together to get the 1 1/2" thickness I'm looking for.

Only thing left I need to find is the Aluminum Angle.

Geronimo36
03-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Went out on lunch break and picked up a sheet of marine ply, a gallon of epoxy and bottle of hardener to start (probably need more later, no cost difference to buy different sizes), 5 yards of biax, 405 and 407 filler, 5" and 3" lam rollers and a bunch of other misc. supplies...

Gotta go to home depot to get a gallon of acetone and a bunch of misc. sanding supplies for the orbital, makita and block.

Glassdave and Offshore ginger, am I missing anything?

Should be pulling engines the end of the week. :)

Blue Thunder
03-30-2009, 07:48 PM
What did you decide to do, replace the transom yourself? What adjustment are you going to make to the x dimension? Mine was at 15.75 now its 17.75 which will give me 4.5" shaft depth. I kind of wish I had gone more but its probably best not to get greedy and end up with an unmanagable pig. I can always spring for shorties if I need more. :leaving:

Geronimo36
03-31-2009, 10:29 AM
What did you decide to do, replace the transom yourself? What adjustment are you going to make to the x dimension? Mine was at 15.75 now its 17.75 which will give me 4.5" shaft depth. I kind of wish I had gone more but its probably best not to get greedy and end up with an unmanagable pig. I can always spring for shorties if I need more. :leaving:

Yeah, I'm doing the work myself.

My current X is 14 1/4" and I'm going up to 16 1/4" which is about 1/4" higher than standard for all the 36' Apaches built for Bravo 1 props. My X was originally set up for Mirage props. The boat doesn't have a notch so the numbers are a little lower than notched boats. Does your boat have a notched transom??

I don't want to go too high because it's a pleasure boat and I want all around usability so I'm basically staying stock.

I also thought about changing my centerlines because it is very tight and would open the door to other exhaust system options but I decided to keep it the same and just go up. Secondly, my thought is to keep the engines close together so they are lower in the V and better in rough water which is basically all the time around here.

Perlmudder
03-31-2009, 10:31 AM
this will be an awesome project! snap some pics when you get a chance!

Blue Thunder
03-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I'm doing the work myself.

My current X is 14 1/4" and I'm going up to 16 1/4" which is about 1/4" higher than standard for all the 36' Apaches built for Bravo 1 props. My X was originally set up for Mirage props. The boat doesn't have a notch so the numbers are a little lower than notched boats. Does your boat have a notched transom??

I don't want to go too high because it's a pleasure boat and I want all around usability so I'm basically staying stock.

I also thought about changing my centerlines because it is very tight and would open the door to other exhaust system options but I decided to keep it the same and just go up. Secondly, my thought is to keep the engines close together so they are lower in the V and better in rough water which is basically all the time around here.

Straight vee here. Bravo drives. What are your drives and what will your final propshaft height be below the hull? Are you saying you are going to a staggered setup?

Geronimo36
03-31-2009, 01:03 PM
Straight vee here. Bravo drives. What are your drives and what will your final propshaft height be below the hull? Are you saying you are going to a staggered setup?

I'm running BMax HT drives (bravo derrivative). Currently 7" below. :eek: and it'll be 5" below when I'm done.

Not staggered but the engines are set on a 33 1/2" crankshaft centerline and I think the average is around 35".

Geronimo36
03-31-2009, 01:18 PM
this will be an awesome project! snap some pics when you get a chance!
Will do, here's what it looks like today. :lurk5:

Decisions decisions.... can't decide if I want to paint the transom black or white..... black will help with the soot and the brown stains but not sure if it'll match.....

Offshoredrillin
03-31-2009, 01:43 PM
what about boxes frank? every 12" back is about an inch in height? nad with no notch. with imco boxes they have diff settings. oh, and dont do black looks ugly...:)

Geronimo36
03-31-2009, 03:18 PM
what about boxes frank? every 12" back is about an inch in height? nad with no notch. with imco boxes they have diff settings. oh, and dont do black looks ugly...:)

Rob, I spoke to Bobby about boxes on my boat and he said it didn't react very well, made the bow plow. Also, an additional expense I'm not willing to incur...

So far I have about $400 in supplies and I have just about everything I need already... Maybe another couple hundy for "incidentals" but the rest of the work is with my hands! :)

BGIII
03-31-2009, 04:00 PM
I think the transom would look great painted to match the headdress. I find the paint on the transom of my boat to be fairly easy to keep clean and the darker color on the transom helps cover up the exhaust soot better than white gel. Good luck with the whole project. Will be interesting to hear your results. I think it's pretty ballsy to gut and cut instead of taking the beating from IMCO. I could not even imaging how many lowers they could sell if they could make and profitably sell them for 1/2 of what they charge now. Practically all of us with older boats could benefit from a higher X but are unwilling to pay the price.

Geronimo36
03-31-2009, 04:40 PM
I think the transom would look great painted to match the headdress. I find the paint on the transom of my boat to be fairly easy to keep clean and the darker color on the transom helps cover up the exhaust soot better than white gel. Good luck with the whole project. Will be interesting to hear your results. I think it's pretty ballsy to gut and cut instead of taking the beating from IMCO. I could not even imaging how many lowers they could sell if they could make and profitably sell them for 1/2 of what they charge now. Practically all of us with older boats could benefit from a higher X but are unwilling to pay the price.

Thanks for the suggestion on the color... I could always go with a teal but not sure how that would look either.... i get enough grief with the pink so that's out...lol

I hear ya about the IMCO's etc.... People have a formula they use to figure out MPH vs. $$$ spend and I don't care how you slice it...$7K is $7K.. They can call me a cheap azz but I don't care!! When I'm done I'll tell ya if it was worth all the effort! :ack2::sifone:

The one thing I regret to this day was not opting for the shorties when I first bought my BMax's... That was my one opportunity to do it with no cost since I was buying the drives anyway but at the time I didn't know my X Dimension situation... But as they say, hindsight is always 20/20. :seeya:

My daughter was sick today and I had to pick her up early from daycare so I took a few more shots of my crap laying around and ready to go.... Pics of the marine ply and biax, resin/rollers/etc. dumps, mufflers beauty rings and blower snouts being rebuilt (pile soon to grow lol)...

Blue Thunder
03-31-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm running BMax HT drives (bravo derrivative). Currently 7" below. :eek: and it'll be 5" below when I'm done.

Not staggered but the engines are set on a 33 1/2" crankshaft centerline and I think the average is around 35".

I've heard tell that 4.5" depth is a good number (straight vees) for all around performance so you are in the ballpark. Also remember 2" up on the transom does not equal 2" up at the engine mounts, its more like 1.9". Also the engines will move back about .625" with the 2" up on the transom. Thats if my trig is still good. I'll let you know after the weekend as I will be loading my first mill back in. I expect the alignment to be dead on...... :leaving:

And make damn sure to use the jig for cutting your new holes. You will never get it right without it!

Geronimo36
03-31-2009, 08:20 PM
I've heard tell that 4.5" depth is a good number (straight vees) for all around performance so you are in the ballpark. Also remember 2" up on the transom does not equal 2" up at the engine mounts, its more like 1.9". Also the engines will move back about .625" with the 2" up on the transom. Thats if my trig is still good. I'll let you know after the weekend as I will be loading my first mill back in. I expect the alignment to be dead on...... :leaving:

And make damn sure to use the jig for cutting your new holes. You will never get it right without it!

Cool, thanks for the info! I've rigged a few boats and I've always used the jig so I can't imagine what it's like to do with out it! There was only one time I did an Alpha to Bravo conversion and I didn't have the jig so I drilled the two extra holes and that was a biotch!! Hopefully the marina still has the jig and will let me use it, otherwise I'll have to search around.

I'm going to use all new l-angle for the forward mounts but I'm hoping I can use the existing thru bolt holes in the stringers. I'll have to see about that though!

Post up some pictures of your project if you can!!:boobflash:

Bill N
04-01-2009, 07:49 AM
Hey Its looking good. Your going at it full speed, I bet you'll be installing the motors next weekend. Sorry but the only paint i'm giving you fot the transom is white just clean it. Teal or black won't look right on your boat.

Geronimo36
04-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Look at Billy, layin down the law!!! lol :leaving::seeya:

Bill N
04-01-2009, 10:31 AM
If i'm saving you a couple hundred in paint materials don't I have a say! Maybe we should change the indian head while were at it & say goodbye to Pinky.:26:

Geronimo36
04-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Maybe we should change the indian head while were at it & say goodbye to Pinky.:26:

But I might have a hard time letting go of Pinky, I think we'll have to keep it just to piss everyone off!!! :lurk5::26:

jhenrie
04-01-2009, 11:55 AM
I wish you guys would call me when you need this stuff. I just did the interior of a boat that one of the guys from a building supply right by us and tolod me to call him when I need marine ply. Aparenly there is a bit of room in the pricing and I have bought from him before. Please let me know if you need more. I usually have a sheet of 1/2 and 3/4 at the house if you need just a peice.

Geronimo36
04-01-2009, 11:58 AM
I wish you guys would call me when you need this stuff. I just did the interior of a boat that one of the guys from a building supply right by us and tolod me to call him when I need marine ply. Aparenly there is a bit of room in the pricing and I have bought from him before. Please let me know if you need more. I usually have a sheet of 1/2 and 3/4 at the house if you need just a peice.

Faack...sorry dude...I didn't even think of it but now that you mention it that was a total brain fart!!!

So, do you have any 4" X 4" X 1/2" aluminum L-Angle??? :26:

MOBILEMERCMAN
04-01-2009, 01:39 PM
So, do you have any 4" X 4" X 1/2" aluminum L-Angle??? :26:

http://www.e-jenterprises.com/

Geronimo36
04-01-2009, 02:03 PM
http://www.e-jenterprises.com/

Thanks for the link Jimmy!! I just got back from lunch and picked up the aluminum stock from Fazzio's in Wall Twp. http://www.jfiwall.com/ The dowside is they only sell 10 ft. lengths so I'm going to have a lot of extra but the cost was $95 with tax included..

Looks like I have all the pieces to the puzzle now!!!

jhenrie
04-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Grimmmer in shrewsbury has always helped with small pieces of metal , also central metal fabricators one street over from bad boy billys.

Bill N
04-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Grimmmer in shrewsbury has always helped with small pieces of metal , also central metal fabricators one street over from bad boy billys.

John It looks like your an hour late again. We need to call you for everything. I think you cost Frank an extra $125. Thats OK though because what else can you do to pick up 5 MPH for under $1000

Blue Thunder
04-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Post up some pictures of your project if you can!!:boobflash:

Here was a BF thread from early on in the project. There are some pics there. Pg 8 shows us cutting out the transom assembly holes. Otherwise, here are some crappy ones more recent. I diamond plated the firewall and moved everything there and completely rewired both engines. Not to mention rebuilt both engines. Thats been a lot of work! Coming down the home stretch now. You can see I still have to cut my exhaust holes. I'm going to do that after the engines are in...

http://forums.boatfreaks.org/showthread.php?t=12595

Blue Thunder
04-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Couple more. I have the engine room 95% done now. I'll get another pic before I put an engine in.

Geronimo36
04-01-2009, 05:33 PM
John It looks like your an hour late again. We need to call you for everything. I think you cost Frank an extra $125. Thats OK though because what else can you do to pick up 5 MPH for under $1000

A bunch of wise guys I tell you!!!:ack2: I'm up to $500 in supplies as of today...

If you haven't noticed, I'm the type of person that gets things done and don't wait. I actually do stuff instead of talkin about it! ;) :sifone::rofl:

Couple more. I have the engine room 95% done now. I'll get another pic before I put an engine in.

Nice! What kind of boat??? The stringer lay-up and firewall set-up reminds me of my old Scarab Panther.

At least it's going to be a lot easier for you to set up your engine alignment with the pedestal mounts... I'm not really looking forward to doing my offshore mounts... To make it easier, JCPERF is lending me a bare block/crank so I can do mock-ups with! :sifone:

Blue Thunder
04-01-2009, 05:36 PM
A bunch of wise guys I tell you!!!:ack2: I'm up to $500 in supplies as of today...

If you haven't noticed, I'm the type of person that gets things done and don't wait. I actually do stuff instead of talkin about it! ;) :sifone::rofl:

Nice! What kind of boat??? The stringer lay-up and firewall set-up reminds me of my old Scarab Panther.

At least it's going to be a lot easier for you to set up your engine alignment with the pedestal mounts... I'm not really looking forward to doing my offshore mounts... To make it easier, JCPERF is lending me a bare block/crank so I can do mock-ups with! :sifone:

-Yeah, its a panther. It was running 83-84mph and I am expecting to be in the low 90s. Should run real nice.

Blue Thunder
04-01-2009, 05:41 PM

You need to calculate to the nats ass what your adjustments need to be. As long as you know the angle of the transom, this site will fix you up. Select the trigonemtry solutions, enter your +2" on the little c and the transom angle on the B and you should have your exact adjustments needed. Assuming you were correct before the raising.

http://engineersedge.com/

Geronimo36
04-01-2009, 06:01 PM
You need to calculate to the nats ass what your adjustments need to be. As long as you know the angle of the transom, this site will fix you up. Select the trigonemtry solutions, enter your +2" on the little c and the transom angle on the B and you should have your exact adjustments needed. Assuming you were correct before the raising.

http://engineersedge.com/

I was never good in math so I'll be going about manually with a few pairs of vice grips and the drill. Going to do it like it's a new boat... 1) Remove all the old l-angle, fill the holes, drop the engines in and bolt down the rear mounts. 2) Adjust the engine up/down until the alignment is perfect. Vice grip the mounts to the offshore bracket and drill the new holes in the angle and the stringers and bolt in the angles. 3) Re-check alignment to make sure it didn't move and drill the holes in the l-angle for the offshore brackets and I'm done! :)

Hey, I saw your post on Boatfreaks about the upper holes which you used as a guide to measure up the 2". I was going to do the same thing but take it one step further and use the other holes for guidepoints so I'm sure it's all square and so I don't have to re-measure everything, just verify!!!! :cool:

Geronimo36
04-01-2009, 06:04 PM
-Yeah, its a panther. It was running 83-84mph and I am expecting to be in the low 90s. Should run real nice.

We're in the same ball-park on speeds and I'm hoping for the same!

Blue Thunder
04-01-2009, 08:10 PM
I was never good in math so I'll be going about manually with a few pairs of vice grips and the drill. Going to do it like it's a new boat... 1) Remove all the old l-angle, fill the holes, drop the engines in and bolt down the rear mounts. 2) Adjust the engine up/down until the alignment is perfect. Vice grip the mounts to the offshore bracket and drill the new holes in the angle and the stringers and bolt in the angles. 3) Re-check alignment to make sure it didn't move and drill the holes in the l-angle for the offshore brackets and I'm done! :)

Hey, I saw your post on Boatfreaks about the upper holes which you used as a guide to measure up the 2". I was going to do the same thing but take it one step further and use the other holes for guidepoints so I'm sure it's all square and so I don't have to re-measure everything, just verify!!!! :cool:

I used the diagonals method to make sure the drives were dead nuts square. I think it worked well. You can see me doing that on page 8 of that thread on freaks. My home boys were getting a little preturbed with my analness about it, but I'm happy I spent the extra time to get it perfect. Measure once and cut twice right?? :03:

Blue Thunder
04-01-2009, 08:14 PM
We're in the same ball-park on speeds and I'm hoping for the same!

I added hp too during the builds. I'm hoping for 3mph out of that. The boys were popping 91s at the end of last year so I at least need 92mph :sifone: I can't have another yr of disgrace..... :boxing_smiley:

Geronimo36
04-02-2009, 09:45 AM
I added hp too during the builds. I'm hoping for 3mph out of that. The boys were popping 91s at the end of last year so I at least need 92mph :sifone: I can't have another yr of disgrace..... :boxing_smiley:

I had a best of 86 mph but never really held it there for any given period of time. I'm hoping for 5 mph with this project but would be happy with 3-4 mph. At the end I just want it set up the way it's supposed to be.

Bob Saccenti believes the boat should be running low 90's so we'll just have to see what happens... I have the power but I'm dragging anchors...

In the long run I think it might be easier on the drives and engines.

Geronimo36
04-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Your going at it full speed, I bet you'll be installing the motors next weekend.

I'm guestimating a month to a month and a half start-to-finish (already a week in) but we'll have to see how the glass work goes...also I'm going to Florida the first week in May.

The de-rigging always goes fast but I will be slowing it down a bit once I start doing the glass and the rigging.:seeya:

Geronimo36
04-02-2009, 08:30 PM
I wish you guys would call me when you need this stuff.

hey John, do you think Mark Peterson over at serioustoys has a bravo transom jig I can borrow?

Bill N
04-03-2009, 08:09 AM
What about Brett?

Geronimo36
04-03-2009, 08:26 AM
What about Brett?

I think he got lost in the gulf stream... hasn't returned my calls. :(

I'll ask Eddie on Saturday.

Geronimo36
04-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Got an early start this morning and went to the marina and pulled both engines. Loaded them into the pickup and brought them home and dropped em in the garage. Then I removed both transom assemblies and various other hardware inside the bildge.

The bildge is ready for a good scrubbing and then I can get started within the next week or so! I may also paint both mils before they go back in. :ack2: Other than that, everything is going along pretty well!

Billy, thanks for the help with the truck even though your brother stayed out too late last night! ;) :sifone:

Blue Thunder
04-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Damn, you a busy boy. It seems much slower going the other way. Yesterday and today I got one engine in and the exhaust holes cut and sealed. The good news is my trig was right on, no adjustment needed on the alignment. Alignment tool slides in and out like butter :26:

Blue Thunder
04-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Pics

Geronimo36
04-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Damn, you a busy boy. It seems much slower going the other way. Yesterday and today I got one engine in and the exhaust holes cut and sealed. The good news is my trig was right on, no adjustment needed on the alignment. Alignment tool slides in and out like butter :26:

Great news that it went back together correctly!!

So true about things going slower the other way. At this point the project will slow down considerably. I'm going to guestimate 3-4 wks of actual work but in realtime probabably a month and a half because I have a lot of non-boating related stuff coming up towards the end of the month. I think I'll be ready by Memorial Day and definitely by the NYC poker run... Fingers crossed! If it winds up taking longer it's no big deal....

Blue Thunder
04-04-2009, 08:48 PM
What slows me down the most is not having what I need when I need it. Today it was a coupler. Often it is other things like adel clamps and or hoses. You'll be doing way good geronimo if it is in one peice by Mem day!

BT

Bill N
04-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Billy, thanks for the help with the truck even though your brother stayed out too late last night! ;) :sifone:

Anytime I guess the girl he met the night before was more important than you! At least it worked out & you got a clean truck.

Geronimo36
04-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Anytime I guess the girl he met the night before was more important than you! At least it worked out & you got a clean truck.

I don't blame him, I would have done the same if I were single!!! :sifone:

Yesterdays progress below...... Having the experts review some high-rez pictures before I go further but once I get the thumbs up I'll start filling the holes back up! My arms are still itchy from the glass this morning... :03::ack2:

Billy, maybe you're right and I will have it done quicker than I think....nah, just kiddin....:lurk5:

Geronimo36
04-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Got all the routing done, cut/fitted all the plugs and bonded them into the hole last night!!!

Next step is to continue fairing the inside and outside of the transom, then begin laminating the glass.

Movin along! :)

Geronimo36
04-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Few more pics.. makin progress!:seeya:

Blue Thunder
04-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Wow, everything look real solid! Good for you. You even got the stringer cut back and it looks rock solid. At the rate youre moving you should be in the water by July :03: Jus messin with ya bro, looks great. That dust is a biitch to clean out of everything though!

BT

Offshore Ginger
04-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Frank , like i said somewhere else your starting to l@@k like a seasoned pro and i have to say that Glass Dave and myself should be worried about loosing some of are customer's :rofl::rofl: . Frank all bull$hit aside l@@king g@@d and how did you like using Epoxy instead of Poly , or Vinyl and seeing that your on a roll are you going to do the stringer's next ?

Geronimo36
04-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks guys! Lots of progress early this morning and evening!!

Artie, thanks for all the info you've given me. It was a big help! And Glassdave too!!!

As for the stringers I'm going take your advice and cut out the wood and scarf the edges and roll over the tops. I started making up the replacement pieces this evening and cut the wood out of the stringers. Now I need to cut and fit the replacment pieces and then I'll cap.

The Epoxy is good! I have to get used to it but I like it! No worries about loosing some customers, you guys deserve more of them!!!! I wouldn't recommend this project to anyone unless they've done structural glass work and rigging before. Fortunately I've dabbled in both over the years. :)

Geronimo36
04-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Well, so much for taking a break....:03:

* New stringers cut, beveled, scarved and bedded into place... Next I have to sand the gelcoat off the sides and bottom of the hull so I can laminate it back together.

* Ground/feathered the transom to get it ready for limination.

* Removed all the offshore mounts, reamed/cut and epoxied dowels into the holes. Once they're dry I'll feather the holes a little and lay a some glass on and that will be done.

Offshoredrillin
04-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Well, so much for taking a break....:03:

* New stringers cut, beveled, scarved and bedded into place... Next I have to sand the gelcoat off the sides and bottom of the hull so I can laminate it back together.

* Ground/feathered the transom to get it ready for limination.

* Removed all the offshore mounts, reamed/cut and epoxied dowels into the holes. Once they're dry I'll feather the holes a little and lay a some glass on and that will be done.

dude, Jodie is so going to kick your ass for making such a mess....

Geronimo36
04-10-2009, 07:49 PM
:)

Blue Thunder
04-10-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm serious impressed. Great work!

BT

Geronimo36
04-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks BT!

Last pic of the day!

Geronimo36
04-10-2009, 08:34 PM
dude, Jodie is so going to kick your ass for making such a mess....

rob, I took these pics are for you buddy! :)

Whats 3-4 quarts of sanding debris between friends!:ack2:

Offshore Ginger
04-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Frank looking good Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn .:26::26: Frank i will be sending a driver to pick you up , i need some experienced help .:26::26::):rofl:

Geronimo36
04-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks Artie!!!:)

Got one of the stringers re-capped and all the holes in main stringers from offshore mounts laminated this morning. I couldn't finish the 2nd stringer because I ran out of resin, so it's off to the store tomorrow afternoon. :ack2: So then I sanded the inside of the transom and it's ready to be sprayed. Also sanded the transom and got that ready for the last couple layers of laminate. I put a straight edge on it and I feel it can use another 2-3 layers and I'll be good to go!

So far everything is very smooth/flat and coming out really well. It doesn't look like I'll have much leveling to do! :)

Frank

Geronimo36
04-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Got more work done last night after the baby went to bed. Sorry, no pictures but I'll get some more later this week when I get back in there. Today and tomorrow is crappy weather but the end of the week and weekend are shaping up to be perfect and I think I'll be able to finish the holes!

Last night I finished laminating the transom with 3 additional layers and the 2nd stringer. After that I pigmented the resin and rolled a coat on the inside of the transom so it matches the existing gelcoat.

Next I'll scuff up the stringers a bit and roll a coat of pigmented resin on that to finish up the rest of the bildge. Then it's time to sand the outside of the transom holes so they're perfectly flat and ready for paint. Lastly, I'll get started on the exhaust holes and moving of the steering rams higher.

Geronimo36
04-16-2009, 10:49 AM
More progress! :)

Also got this mock-up block/crank to do the rigging.

Geronimo36
04-16-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm up to $500 in supplies as of today...

That was a week ago...I'm $750 as of today... I could have saved $100 by getting the plywood from John and ordering the resin/fabric online but I'm still under $1K. :lurk5:

PayCheck
04-16-2009, 05:43 PM
:seeya: You took longer to get er done on BF..:)

Offshore Ginger
04-16-2009, 07:41 PM
:seeya: You took longer to get er done on BF..:)DAWG , what's up ?:26:

Offshore Ginger
04-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks Artie!!!:)

Got one of the stringers re-capped and all the holes in main stringers from offshore mounts laminated this morning. I couldn't finish the 2nd stringer because I ran out of resin, so it's off to the store tomorrow afternoon. :ack2: So then I sanded the inside of the transom and it's ready to be sprayed. Also sanded the transom and got that ready for the last couple layers of laminate. I put a straight edge on it and I feel it can use another 2-3 layers and I'll be good to go!

So far everything is very smooth/flat and coming out really well. It doesn't look like I'll have much leveling to do! :)

Frank Frank i just got my tower back from the doctor and that is why i have not responded very quickly to any of your Post's . Frank , you are welcome , but pat yourself on the back for a job well done because you did all the work and once again it l@@k's Great !!!!!:26: you ole Glass Master .

Geronimo36
04-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Thanks again Artie!

I forgot what that Imron paint code was that you recommended for the transom, do you happen to have it handy?

old377guy
04-17-2009, 12:33 AM
geronimo, I'm impressed - keep us posted - jeff

Offshore Ginger
04-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Thanks again Artie!

I forgot what that Imron paint code was that you recommended for the transom, do you happen to have it handy? Frank , i sure do and i will always remeber this code even in my sleep - Imron -555-U . Frank, once again l@@king g@@d.

Geronimo36
04-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks Artie!!!

Today I layed down the final skim coat, cut the new holes and the new transom holes. After cutting all the holes I epoxied all the bare wood.

I'll hit the whole transome with the DA tomorrow or Sunday then I'm done with all the glass work!! :26:

Geronimo36
04-19-2009, 07:48 PM
As I hoped for I'm all finished with the glass work!!! :26: I touched up a few tiny pin-holes but other than that I'm ready for paint!!!! :)

Artie, Dave, have you ever heard of a Sherwin William's version of Imron??

later
04-19-2009, 09:28 PM
i have a question, when you fill the bottom of the hole it looks as if you just cut wood to fill the hole and then glassed the transom and inside the bilge. will that provide enough strength? or is that not an issue ? i would have thought that you would have to over lap the would are something.

later

BGIII
04-20-2009, 08:34 AM
i have a question, when you fill the bottom of the hole it looks as if you just cut wood to fill the hole and then glassed the transom and inside the bilge. will that provide enough strength? or is that not an issue ? i would have thought that you would have to over lap the would are something.

later

Look closer, it overlaps.

Geronimo36
04-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Look closer, it overlaps.

thanks BG! :)

later

Yes, it is overlaped. I took it another step further and overlapped the wood twice for added strength. :cool:

The first step is routed behind the outside transom laminate with 3/4" ply. The second step is routed further out with a 2nd piece of 3/4" ply and all clamped together. After that the inside of the transom is laminated with 4 layers of 1708 and the outside with 8 layers of 1708 which is actually more than was there before. :)

Geronimo36
04-24-2009, 12:00 PM
With this great weather I couldn't help but shoot the transom. Everything is finished and I'll buff it up on Sunday and start rigging in 2 wks.

Offshore Ginger
04-24-2009, 12:34 PM
With this great weather I couldn't help but shoot the transom. Everything is finished and I'll buff it up on Sunday and start rigging in 2 wks.Frank looking good and did you shoot the transom with Imron ? :26:

Geronimo36
04-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Artie, I used Sherwin Williams industrial coating which is the same as Imron. It was $150 for the paint alone!!:ack2: With paint supplies and sanding supplies etc. my total budget for this build is $1200. So at the end I went $200 over my target but still not bad!

What's crazy is yesterday I realized it's been about 10 yrs since the last time I picked up a paint gun!! It took me a little bit of getting used to again and getting the fan adjustments right. There are a few area's I'll need to wet-sand but all in all I'm happy with the result having been 10 years since I last shot with a gun! :)

Geronimo36
04-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Before and after. Ready to put the engines back in!!! :26:

Offshore Ginger
04-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Frank just curious and not to be rude did you prime the transom before painting ? :)

Geronimo36
04-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Frank just curious and not to be rude did you prime the transom before painting ? :)

No problem Artie. Yes, I primed it with the 2 part epoxy primer made for the paint. :)

old377guy
04-26-2009, 08:14 PM
fantastic

glassdave
04-27-2009, 04:24 AM
Looks good Frank.

Geronimo36
04-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks guys!! It was a lot of work and thank goodness the hard part is over!!! I feel like I went 9 rounds with Tyson!! A benefit to the whole project is I lost 5 lbs!! :)

The only glass work that is left are two small reliefs on the rear of the engine hatch for the air cleaners but that's going to wait until I have the engines rigged.

jhenrie
04-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Stop milking that job , I'm gonna need a hand pulling a motor!! Looks great Frank. Why do you go to work in the morning?

Geronimo36
04-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Why do you go to work in the morning?

To pay for this disgusting boating habbit!!:ack2:

Let me know if you need a hand with that engine. I meant to call Billy about the hoist but forgot.

Geronimo36
05-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Well, got home from vacation yesterday afternoon and had the day off today to recover and got back to work on the project today. Fabricated all the engine mounts and borrowed my buddies gantry to lift the block. The mounts and the alignment went very smoothly although I'm not sure how happy my neighbors are since I had the boat and the gantry in the friggin street!!! After that I finished buttoning up all the hardware in the bilge and finished dressing the engines and getting them ready to go back in.

All the work is done and the engines are ready to go back in. If I can get all my resources ligned up I'll drop the engines in early Saturday morning.

Today kicked my azz... 7:45 am to 8:30 pm with a break for lunch and dinner. I'm glad I took the extra day off on my vacation to get everything done!!

old377guy
05-06-2009, 09:50 PM
good job - you Jersey guys are a tough bunch...

Offshoredrillin
05-07-2009, 07:29 AM
I'm impressed Frank, I hope the gains are worth it. great job!

Geronimo36
05-07-2009, 09:29 AM
I'm impressed Frank, I hope the gains are worth it. great job!

I hope so too! 1-3 mph and less broken drive parts would be a good starting point! :lurk5:

Geronimo36
05-07-2009, 09:33 AM
good job - you Jersey guys are a tough bunch...

Thanks!! My wife went grocery shopping after dinner and when she came home I was in the garage bolting the exhaust back together and installing all the cooling hoses.

She pulled up, smiled, got out of the car, and told me I was mentally insane and additcted.. I said "thank you" and agreed with her! :26:

ChiefApache
05-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Iless broken drive parts would be a good starting point! :lurk5:

This alone is worth it if it works!

Bill N
05-07-2009, 03:08 PM
I hope so too! 1-3 mph and less broken drive parts would be a good starting point! :lurk5:

Wouldn't it have been easier to just back off the boost to save the drives?

How do I sign up to be a test pilot with you!:sifone:

glassdave
05-07-2009, 03:24 PM
:sifone:

hey thats just crazy talk right there . . . .

looks good Frank, I'm sure you cant wait to splash it.

Geronimo36
05-07-2009, 04:13 PM

How do I sign up to be a test pilot with you!:sifone:

See now, I'm solving the drive problems so we can install the intercoolers and raise the boost and start the process all over!:sifone:

It's bad enough I turned my drillpress into a lathe yesterday and ported my exhaust manifolds!

Next you'll see a new thread titled ; "Geronimo's #6 conversion project done in 4 wks".....:ack2:

hey thats just crazy talk right there . . . .

looks good Frank, I'm sure you cant wait to splash it.

Thanks Dave and thanks for your advice through out the project. :seeya::)

Got my appointment and the engines go in Saturday barring any bad weather. I'll also get some pictures of the rigging!

Bill N
05-07-2009, 04:21 PM
I think you are in the wrong business. You tore through this project. We'll be running both boats next weekend if this rain ever stops.

Geronimo36
05-07-2009, 04:30 PM
I think you are in the wrong business. You tore through this project. We'll be running both boats next weekend if this rain ever stops.

You betcha!!:26:

You could be right, maybe I am in the wrong business and shouldn't have quit 9 years ago....who knows what I'd be doing now..:ack2: I'll tell ya one thing, it went quick but I didn't rush it!

BTW, there are some really great/CHEAP houses in Ft. Myers.... ;)

Bill N
05-07-2009, 05:20 PM
12 Months of boating Can you sell Jodie on moving south

jhenrie
05-07-2009, 09:58 PM
It's too hot to go out in the sun in july , august and september except at night and we all know frankie isn't a night boater !! So that still leaves 9 months for boating !! Just have to find a way to make a living there . Payscale is not what it is here.

Better yet Billy , you buy a house on like a nice wide canal with 3 lifts and we'll come visit for a while.

Bill N
05-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Sur I'll buy it you just pay the mortgage for me

Geronimo36
05-08-2009, 09:14 AM
I saw some 3-4 BR houses, 2500-3000 sq ft, on 1/2 to 2 achres between $200 - 300K. Lots of foreclosures down there... A house in Pete's neighborhood was bought a few years ago for $775K, 3500 sq ft on 5 achres. Owners mortgaged it to the hilt (to the tune of $1.2 M). It went into foreclosure and the bank sold it for $489K.

Someone I met down there got into the business of doing appraisals for the banks and cleaning out foreclosed homes. he's bringin in $10K a month just in appraisals.

John's right about jobs...there are none! There are brand new strip malls all over the place and they're all EMPTY...its crazy but it's also a great buying opportunity if you have the cash and can figure out how to earn a living.

It's very tempting to have a small mortgage.. shoot I could work at home depot to pay for it! lol

Geronimo36
05-08-2009, 09:54 AM
I have a little bit more cleaning up to do before the engines go back in tomorrow but that's pretty much it! Sorry for the leaves, the damn oak trees are starting to drop some chit!

Ratickle
05-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Lookin nice....

MarylandMark
05-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Someone I met down there got into the business of doing appraisals for the banks and cleaning out foreclosed homes. he's bringin in $10K a month just in appraisals.

:sifone: I'm a part-time appraiser. We had a rough 8ish months in 08 but things are back to booming in 09. My boss is doing around 70/mo or $28K/mo. I try to do about 10-15/mo- enough to keep our turn around times good but not too many that I don't have time to enjoy blowing the extra $$

Geronimo36
05-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Mark,

Now I understand why this guy Barry who owns an appraisal company can afford to own two 30+ boats and keep it at the marina. He has a formula fastech and a cruiser... He parks them next to each other, decides which one he's going to take out or takes them both out in the same day... Must be nice!!

Geronimo36
05-11-2009, 09:35 AM
I got both engines back in and rigged, exhaust, beauty rings and mufflers on Saturday morning. I installed the drives last night after the mothers day festivities. The engine alignment was perfect! :)

All that's left is drive oil and the engine hatch mods!

Billy, thanks for your help with loading the engines on the truck Friday night and helping me to drop them off Saturday morning. I owe you BIG TIME! :)

Frank

Bill N
05-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Anytime I can't wait to see how it runs!

Offshore Ginger
05-11-2009, 09:41 AM
I got both engines back in and rigged, exhaust, beauty rings and mufflers on Saturday morning. I installed the drives last night after the mothers day festivities. The engine alignment was perfect! :)

All that's left is drive oil and the engine hatch mods!

Billy, thanks for your help with loading the engines on the truck Friday night and helping me to drop them off Saturday morning. I owe you BIG TIME! :)

Frank So Frank when are you going to sea trial her and could you post your gains , just curious ?

Geronimo36
05-11-2009, 11:06 AM
So Frank when are you going to sea trial her and could you post your gains , just curious ?

I haven't set a date, it all depends when I get the engine hatch done. Probably 1-2 wks, well see!

I'll definitely post results! :lurk5:

jhenrie
05-11-2009, 01:01 PM
NY poker run?

Geronimo36
05-11-2009, 02:15 PM
NY poker run?

Well see after some testing but it's lookin like a possibility!:drool5:

If I need props maybe not or I'll just run slow and keep the R's down.. lol :lurk5:

Geronimo36
05-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Drives all filled up with oil and only the engine hatch left!!!! Hopefully I'll have time after work tomorrow to start grinding the clearancing the hatch and get it ready for the glass work.

Geronimo36
05-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Engine hatch is clearanced and glassed...I also angled and radiused the support stringers like they're supposed to be, unfortunately the previous owner just cut them end left them raw. I decided to pigment the resin but don't ask me why.. lol I have a good 1" to 1 1/2" clearance at its lowest point under the hatch and between the rear of the flame arrestor. I even stood on top of the hatch while it was shut to make sure it wasn't hitting anything when it flexes.

Next comes the finish work and paint..:26:

Geronimo36
05-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Just about finished!

If it's not raining after work I'll drop the hatch on and bolt up the upholstery and I'm DONE! :)

Geronimo36
05-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Project X is finished!!! :26:

First pic is last year and the last two after the project.

The whole project from start to finish can be found here; http://s706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/Fungarten1/?albumview=slideshow

14 apache
05-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Project X is finished!!! :26:

First pic is last year and the last two after the project.

The whole project from start to finish can be found here; http://s706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/Fungarten1/?albumview=slideshow

Are you going to NYC poker run.

Geronimo36
05-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Are you going to NYC poker run.

Hey Eric what's up! As of now my plan is to go and I'll feel much better once I test the boat this weekend! :drool5:

14 apache
05-15-2009, 10:52 PM
Hey Eric what's up! As of now my plan is to go and I'll feel much better once I test the boat this weekend! :drool5:

Hope it gives you 3 or 4mph job looks good. Hope i get mine back together for the run just got done dry sumping my engines hoping for some extra HP. Will know in about a week when i dyno the engines.

Geronimo36
05-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Well, test number one is sucessfull and I'm very happy with the results!
There was thick fog so it wasn't the best testing conditions but I was able to go up river to make some passes.

The boat handles much better than before. There was no difference in getting on plane, the boat jumped right up with no blow out and there even seemed to be less vibration. Once on plane the first thing I noticed was how much more responsive the boat was to throttle and trim. Overall the boat even felt smoother and seemed to have a more level attitude.

Due to the fog I didn't do any high speed passes but preliminary numbers are 3 mph faster at cruise speed!!!! Last year @ 3600 RPMS the boat was running 58 mph and now it's running 61 mph!!!

Can't beat 3 mph of cruise speed for $1200!!!!!

Ratickle
05-16-2009, 04:49 PM
There was thick fog so it wasn't the best testing conditions but I was able to go up river to make some passes.

The boat handles much better than before. There was no difference in getting on plane, the boat jumped right up with no blow out and there even seemed to be less vibration. Once on plane the first thing I noticed was how much more responsive the boat was to throttle and trim. Overall the boat even felt smoother and seemed to have a more level attitude.

Due to the fog I didn't do any high speed passes but preliminary numbers are 3 mph faster at cruise speed!!!! Last year @ 3600 RPMS the boat was running 58 mph and now it's running 61 mph!!!

Can't beat 3 mph of cruise speed for $1200!!!!!

Okay, this winter can you do the Black Thunder for me for the same amount?:)

Offshore Ginger
05-16-2009, 05:47 PM

Can't beat 3 mph of cruise speed for $1200!!!!! Frank thats cool and i bet you just cant wait to see what she does at WOT .:26:

Buoy
05-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Congrats!
You went amazingly quick through that project, and looks like you really did it right.
Great work.
I hope you see the numbers you were looking for when you get a chance to hang it out.

Geronimo36
05-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks everyone, it's been a lot of fun!

Time to get ready for the NYC poker run and spend some much needed time with the family!!! :)

baywatch
05-17-2009, 08:19 AM
nice work. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Boy, I thought things were tight in my bilge but I won't b*tch after seeing how much you have going on in yours (hopefully some day I can follow your example and beef the ponies up in my old girl).

old377guy
05-17-2009, 11:42 AM
congratulations; sweet success and for a helluva good price (labor not included)

glassdave
05-17-2009, 06:48 PM
hey Frank sorry i couldnt chat more when you called i was just backing in to the race site at Cumberland :D I'll buz ya this week.

Geronimo36
05-18-2009, 10:47 AM
No problem Dave! Talk to ya soon!

Geronimo36
05-18-2009, 10:48 AM
congratulations; sweet success and for a helluva good price (labor not included)

Anyone need an 8' section of 4" aluminum L-Angle? :ack2: $100 and it's someones for the taking! :) No shipping, too much of a PITA....

insanity
05-19-2009, 04:37 AM
Anyone need an 8' section of 4" aluminum L-Angle? :ack2: $100 and it's someones for the taking! :) No shipping, too much of a PITA....

I might need a couple of 6 inch sections...can you chop me off about a foot of it?

Geronimo36
05-19-2009, 07:51 AM
I might need a couple of 6 inch sections...can you chop me off about a foot of it?

I definitely could but I think it would be more hassle than it's worth. :(

26 Spyder
05-20-2009, 07:02 PM
I'll buy a few feet to if you can ship it.. UPS will ship 4' of it. How much?
Or cut it in half, ship the 2 pieces to me and I'll divide it up for the rest of you...

14 apache
05-20-2009, 10:30 PM
How much for 1/2" Thanks:sifone:

Geronimo36
05-21-2009, 07:44 AM
Or cut it in half, ship the 2 pieces to me and I'll divide it up for the rest of you...

I can cut it in half and ship; $100 plus shipping.

I recently bought an axle for my trailer and they shipped it no problem so I might not have to cut it in half.

Geronimo36
05-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Boat ran 87 yesterday, I picked up 3 mph all around the RPM range.

Another bonus is last season I turned the boost down from 7 psi to 6 psi so I'm faster with even less HP!!!!

Also, I can cruise at 47-48 mph at 3k rpms! :)

Trim'd Up
06-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Boat ran 87 yesterday, I picked up 3 mph all around the RPM range.

Another bonus is last season I turned the boost down from 7 psi to 6 psi so I'm faster with even less HP!!!!

Also, I can cruise at 47-48 mph at 3k rpms! :)
Well, crank the boost back up and shoot for 90!:sifone: Congrats. It looks good.

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-01-2009, 07:03 PM
You will probably get the 1200 back in fuel savings.:biggrinjester:

Geronimo36
06-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Well, crank the boost back up and shoot for 90!:sifone: Congrats. It looks good.

Thanks! Maybe in the years to come I'll dial it in but for now I think I'm going to leave it as it is and just enjoy it. Besides, everyone knows I'm half throttle Frank anyway. :sifone:

Now that would be another bonus!:drool5:

ChiefApache
06-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks! Maybe in the years to come I'll dial it in but for now I think I'm going to leave it as it is and just enjoy it. Besides, everyone knows I'm half throttle Frank anyway. :sifone:

How much HP are you running?

We run 4psi of boost.

Geronimo36
06-02-2009, 02:04 PM
800's give/take.

It was 838 with7 psi and 800 with 5 but I don't know what it is on 6

Geronimo36
06-22-2009, 05:16 PM

Did you get your package? :driving:

26 Spyder
06-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Did you get your package? :driving:

Yes I did! Thanks!

Geronimo36
06-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Yes I did! Thanks!

Cool!:sifone: UPS biotched I didn't have it in a box, F'em! :seeya:

Geronimo36
06-26-2009, 02:53 PM

Running up to NYC last week I burned less than a 1/4 tank... In years past that was roughly a 1/4 tank run!!! :26:

jeffswav
10-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Nice project, I am getting ready to do the same thing to a single engine. I am at 8" below now, I would like to raise it 3" for a 5" propshaft centerline. Do you have any more pictures of how you pieced together the transom?

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Welcome jeffsway.

Enjoy the site.

Trim'd Up
10-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Nice project, I am getting ready to do the same thing to a single engine. I am at 8" below now, I would like to raise it 3" for a 5" propshaft centerline. Do you have any more pictures of how you pieced together the transom?

I raised mine on my single Baja, I believe I am at 3 1/2"-4" below the hull now. I'll look on the other computer for pics of the process. I cut 3 steps into the plywood on the inside so each layer of plywood was a little larger than the last. You only need to fill the bottom few inches.

jeffswav
10-14-2009, 06:13 AM
I raised mine on my single Baja, I believe I am at 3 1/2"-4" below the hull now. I'll look on the other computer for pics of the process. I cut 3 steps into the plywood on the inside so each layer of plywood was a little larger than the last. You only need to fill the bottom few inches.

Where do you live at? I am in Millstadt IL.

Offshore Ginger
10-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Jeffsway , welcome .

Trim'd Up
10-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Where do you live at? I am in Millstadt IL.

Not far from you at all, Collinsville. Welcome neighbor.:sifone:

Geronimo36
10-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Here's a blast from the past thread!!

I wonder what this winters projects will bring.......

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-14-2009, 06:32 PM
I am going to raise mine too.. I just need to do a few other things first. Like strip cabin. Repair part of 2 bulkheads that got soft when the floor got soft. I am anticipating I will be replacing all the horizontal wood in cabin with balsa. Nice project Huh?

Got to love your boat.

Trim'd Up
10-14-2009, 07:28 PM
I am going to raise mine too.. I just need to do a few other things first. Like strip cabin. Repair part of 2 bulkheads that got soft when the floor got soft. I am anticipating I will be replacing all the horizontal wood in cabin with balsa. Nice project Huh?

Got to love your boat.

I feel you pain, I didn't have anything left in my boat but the shell. It is better than new now with extra bulkheads and no wood.

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-14-2009, 07:59 PM
I have done it numerous times for customers. Now I get to do mine.

Geronimo36
10-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Cool project Jimmy!!! Please share!!

I'll be doing regular maintanence this year... Rebuilding the lowers with new gears/bearings and one long-block (250 hrs on it) so both sides are fresh.

I was hoping to have the engine out and in my shop and have started dissasembly already but I've been draggin azz the last couple weeks... I guess I'll have to get my butt out there in the next week or two and set up the gantry.... The only thing I've accomplished so far is winterization and taking the drives off.

I don't wanna be working on this crap come April, I'd rather have it done and ready to go back in even if it sits on the floor all winter!

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Cool project Jimmy!!! Please share!!

I don't wanna be working on this crap come April, I'd rather have it done and ready to go back in even if it sits on the floor all winter!

I will. Not excites about it. Just need to do it.

You know better already:sifone:

Geronimo36
11-13-2009, 05:07 PM
Mad a lot of progress since we last spoke!:willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

Offshore Ginger
11-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Mad a lot of progress since we last spoke!:willy_nilly::willy_nilly: Mad a lot of progress i guess after looking at all that on the table i would be freakin out :rofl::rofl::rofl: because im the type of person who even hates to change the oil .:rofl::rofl: Frank , when are you going to start slapping those bad boys together ?

MOBILEMERCMAN
11-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Mad a lot of progress since we last spoke!:willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

Bringing it all to Rogers?

Geronimo36
11-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Bringing it all to Rogers?

As a matter of fact, yes! I brought the block and heads to Rogers yesterday! The block is having o-rings milled flat and a quick hone. I'm putting on new heads so he's doing the milling, valvejob and spring setup.

I'll be doing the complete assembly, paint, rigging!:willy_nilly:

Rogers shop hasn't changed much in the last 10-15 years! Great guys, great workmanship!!:USA:

Geronimo36
11-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Frank , when are you going to start slapping those bad boys together ?

We'll have to see how everything goes with the machine work Artie! Rings, Bearings, lifters, oil pump, fuel pump, pump rod, fuel pump rod, timing chain, gaskets etc. etc are all on order. Assuming there's no snafo's with the machine work I expect 2-3 wks and an empty wallet!

In the meantime I have to get 25 gallons of fresh parts cleaner so I can start cleaning all this junk up so it's ready for assembly!:26:

Bill N
11-14-2009, 11:05 AM
We'll have to see how everything goes with the machine work Artie! Rings, Bearings, lifters, oil pump, fuel pump, pump rod, fuel pump rod, timing chain, gaskets etc. etc are all on order. Assuming there's no snafo's with the machine work I expect 2-3 wks and an empty wallet!

In the meantime I have to get 25 gallons of fresh parts cleaner so I can start cleaning all this junk up so it's ready for assembly!:26:

What about a new Msd dist. that thing looks pretty crusty in the pic!

Geronimo36
11-15-2009, 02:00 PM
What about a new Msd dist. that thing looks pretty crusty in the pic!

They all look like that Billy. Amazing isn't it? lol Just needs a little TLC.

Geronimo36
03-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Just realized I never updated this thread.... So here it goes....

The project started out late last year... My stbd. engine had 250 hrs and I felt it was time for a basic refresh. I tore the engine down to a bare block and took all the necessary measurements along the way..

the first step was to get the parts to my machine shop (Rogers Speed Shop) in Garwood, NJ. The block on this engine originally had 0-rings and it became a real PITA finding head gaskets and also head gaskets that would properly seal the block.. So Gary machined the deck of the block flat so I could use cometic gaskets and finished honed the cylinders for me since all the bore measurements were in spec.

I also bought new Merlin heads and Gary machined and installed all new 11/32 valves (SS intake/Tit. Exhaust), seals, springs and retainers with 10* locks.

The crank, rods and pistons were in excellent shape so the crank didn't even need to be polished, nor did the rods need conditioning... The pistons will need to be replaced next rebuild but for this time they were also in excellent shape.

Geronimo36
03-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Around Thanksgiving time I started assembly on the short block, while we were waiting on valves for the heads. Prepped and installed new bearings, gapped/installed new rings and new 10778 oil pump. So the day after Thanksgiving I completeled assembled the short block.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/Fungarten1/Engine%20Rebuild%20Project/EngineProject009.jpg
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/Fungarten1/Engine%20Rebuild%20Project/EngineProject007.jpg
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/Fungarten1/Engine%20Rebuild%20Project/EngineProject008.jpg
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/Fungarten1/Engine%20Rebuild%20Project/EngineProject012.jpg

Geronimo36
03-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Next I had to wait a few weeks for the valves, they were on back-order... Once the valves came in, Rogers quickly surfaced the deck on the new heads, set the guilde clearnace, cut the seats/valves and assembled the heads. A week before XMass I installed the heads and installed the rocker arms. At this point assembly of the long-block was complete.
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/Fungarten1/Engine%20Rebuild%20Project/EngineProject016.jpg
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/Fungarten1/Engine%20Rebuild%20Project/EngineProject017.jpg

Geronimo36
03-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Next I had to paint the engine....so I took the week off between XMass and New Years and took the time to paint the engine and a little R&R....
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/Fungarten1/Engine%20Rebuild%20Project/EngineProject025.jpg
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/Fungarten1/Engine%20Rebuild%20Project/EngineProject026.jpg
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/Fungarten1/Engine%20Rebuild%20Project/EngineProject023.jpg

Geronimo36
03-11-2010, 05:44 PM
During my week off I had an eppiffany and decided I should buy new rocker arms...so I orderd up some brandey new rocker arms and installed them and buttoned up the top end.
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/Fungarten1/Engine%20Rebuild%20Project/EngineProject028.jpg
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/Fungarten1/Engine%20Rebuild%20Project/EngineProject027.jpg
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/Fungarten1/Engine%20Rebuild%20Project/Engine002-1.jpg

Geronimo36
03-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Then the engine sat on the floor in my garage for over a month while I watched the snow build up....... Two weekends ago I finally got a break and fired up the engine for the first time... Now I'm waiting for a sunny day to install it in the boat. :)
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/Fungarten1/Engine%20Rebuild%20Project/Engine008.jpg
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/Fungarten1/Engine%20Rebuild%20Project/Engine010.jpg
Q0uxa43xUto

jeffswav
03-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Engine sounds good, did you freshen up both of them? I use the Comp Roller rockers also, been using them for about 6 years.