PDA

View Full Version : Crane ignition box and msd distributor

MERPerformance
03-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Had an issue with a crane hi-6 marine and a msd marine distributor. Distributor was locked out, box set on #6 curve. Engine would after-fire on cylinders 2-8 bbc, timing would show going from 34 btdc @ 2500 rpms than retard about 15 degrees, then go to 34 degrees and read steady about 2650-2700 rpms. Tried another msd distributor same thing. Decided to go back to a merc thunder-bolt 4, phased the wheel installed the distibutor set timing, timing was steady @ 34 no issues. The only difference was that the msd is a magnetic pick-up and the merc is hall effect. Has anyone else out there seen this?

BenPerfected
03-07-2009, 12:35 PM
No, but you are scaring me. This winter we switched to the Crane boxes and are using locked-out non-marine MSD distributors with dual pick-ups (not going to the second PU). I haven't started the engines yet.

OldSchool
03-07-2009, 12:38 PM
I just went out to my shop and looked at the settings on my spare box. I use msd distributors locked out with the advance setting on six and the retard on zero. No issues....

BenPerfected
03-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Just re-read the installation directions. Did you notice the connections are different for the Merc distributor (hall effect type) vs a a MSD (magnetic PU type) distributor? Also, maybe a trying a different advance curve might make a difference.

ROGUE
03-07-2009, 01:15 PM
I used locked out MSD distributors and Crane Hi-6 boxes with no advance on the formula. Set timing at 4000 at 34. The first start and idle fire will actually be at 16 since the multiple fire is 20 before and 20 after setpoint and narrows as it reached 3000 and eventually has only one firing point. I never could get the timing light to behave under 3G and had to use a scope to see what was really going on. I couldnt have been happier with that ignition except for the MSD Dist. corrosion issue. I think the engines started before they made one revolution.

MERPerformance
03-08-2009, 07:45 PM
The crane hi-6 isn't the problem, the problem comes into effect sometimes using the msd with a mag pick-up this was'nt the first time, i have had to send the distributor back to msd and have the coil replaced. Using the merc and phasing the rotor solved the problem. I'am also very much awear of the different white/red, white/green connections. The hall effect is a different frequency. If your timing is'nt moving around your in good shape.

BenPerfected
03-08-2009, 10:14 PM
I will be looking closer when we set the timing than we might have before your post. We are also using the Crane LX-92 coils.