PDA

View Full Version : Here comes the BIG ONE

Top Banana
03-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Plans are being made right now for a very interesting "event" to be held in August of this year in the Northeast.

One of the major races of the past was the Around Long Island Marathon......262 miles of non-stop action.

Well there are certain people who would like to "break" the old records set way back in the day...... and plans are being made to host such an event this coming August.

Everyone is welcome and the opportunity is there for many newbees to learn what it really takes as far as open ocean racing goes.....get ready!!!

boatme
03-07-2009, 08:52 AM
way to go Charlie

RACESDAD
03-15-2009, 11:40 PM
LUCAS OIL racing is listening !!!!

nthdegree
03-16-2009, 07:06 AM
Great news Charlie!!! As a kid I remember this event....Powercat outboards with those tall 6 cylinder Mercs...that's what started my quest for a "cat"!!!
I really hope this happens!!!

Top Banana
04-04-2009, 11:12 AM
LUCAS OIL racing is listening !!!!

Congrats on your Biloxi win.....way to go.

Team Tsunami
04-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Great news Charlie!!! As a kid I remember this event....Powercat outboards with those tall 6 cylinder Mercs...that's what started my quest for a "cat"!!!
I really hope this happens!!!

Dad we have to be in if this happens!! Team Sutphen/Tsunami! Good Luck Charlie....I would love to see this come together!

Big Time
05-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Any more develpements on this?

Top Banana
10-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Any more develpements on this?

Yes.....we have decided to do it as a single day event, rather than the two days with a stop over as we first announced.

Looks like it will be from a marina on northern Long Island, for both the start and finish and wet and dry pit areas.

It will be next September, on the Saturday of the weekend following Labor Day 2010.

Ratickle
10-08-2009, 03:45 PM
I'm glad you're doing it as a one day run. Will be a very interesting event. Has anyone tried to contact Buzzi yet????

HIGH LIFE
11-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Charlie, Great venue, count me in...after I install bolster seats !!! Michael "HIGH LIFE"

scottc
11-14-2009, 07:55 PM
Sounds like a great event. Let me know the classes or spects when available.

Wazzup Racing
11-16-2009, 12:47 AM
Problem there is it is the same weekend as SBI NY and OPA NJ. Busy weekend

Taboo
12-02-2009, 03:01 PM
No boats racing today can go the distance without refueling.

imco offshore
12-02-2009, 07:15 PM
just put in a fuel bladder, like they did in the old days,, simple!

imco offshore
12-02-2009, 07:16 PM
smitty is that Atlantic City weekend?

imco offshore
12-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Charlie, will you be going outside first and then come inside for the last leg,, or vice verca., i,m asking because the smaller boats can use the weight in the bigger water?

RACESDAD
12-04-2009, 05:11 PM
you need to start a Offshore CLassic Tour....all the old races today...

RACESDAD
12-04-2009, 05:13 PM
No boats racing today can go the distance without refueling.

some of us could

Wahoo 214
12-07-2009, 10:38 AM
We would have to stop for fuel twice

glassdave
12-07-2009, 07:13 PM
We would have to stop for fuel twice

how many times for skegs? :D

phragle
12-07-2009, 11:07 PM
how many times for skegs? :D

It's an island..if he plays his cards right, he only needs to make 4 sweeping turns.......

Top Banana
12-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Charlie, will you be going outside first and then come inside for the last leg,, or vice verca., i,m asking because the smaller boats can use the weight in the bigger water?

Latest news on this and our other ocean race.....First the other one....Miami to Key West the weekend after the Miami Boat Show 2010. It is NOT going to be held. Economic times are just too tough and we can't get a sponsor to step up and stay committed. We also have tried to get a race organization to help us with this and that hasn't happened either.....we aren't trying to compete with any of them, we just want to run these kinds of races and don't have the organization to do it. We will try again next year.

HOWEVER....... Around Long Island Race September 2010.

Here is what we have at the present time. Big Thanks to HORBA Board members who pitched in and made this happen......Billy Frenz who with his experience in the NY area and his race organization, NPBA, has agreed to help put this race on. Second big Thank you goes to Guy LaMotta who owns a big marina on the north shore of Long Island near Port Washington. Guy will allow us to use his facilities as both wet and dry pit locations. The race will start and end at his facilities, he has a great restaurant there and the awards wil be given out there. Last but not least for sure.....Michael Aronow will again allow us to use Don's name on the race......so it will be the

DON ARONOW MEMORIAL AROUND LONG ISLAND MARATHON.

You know we will need a big trophy just to fit the name on.

As far as the direction of the race, the Coast Guard feels that to start on the ocean side first, it would put too many boats at racing speeds through the narrow part of the course, near Manhattan. So by starting on the Long Island Sound side, north side, and heading for Montauk, we will have more time for the boats to spread out by the time they get back to Manhattan.

I understand the current record is in the 3 hour area. We will also factor in some kind of handicap for fuel stops if they are needed.....maybe do a special class for stoppers if we have enough boats.

Also re the date, if it can be moved we can certainly look into that to make it so more people can enjoy the experience of open ocean water racing. We are only going 262 miles.....look at how happy Don was here, after winning the 539 mile Bahamas 500.

imco offshore
12-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Latest news on this and our other ocean race.....First the other one....Miami to Key West the weekend after the Miami Boat Show 2010. It is NOT going to be held. Economic times are just too tough and we can't get a sponsor to step up and stay committed. We also have tried to get a race organization to help us with this and that hasn't happened either.....we aren't trying to compete with any of them, we just want to run these kinds of races and don't have the organization to do it. We will try again next year.

HOWEVER....... Around Long Island Race September 2010.

Here is what we have at the present time. Big Thanks to HORBA Board members who pitched in and made this happen......Billy Frenz who with his experience in the NY area and his race organization, NPBA, has agreed to help put this race on. Second big Thank you goes to Guy LaMotta who owns a big marina on the north shore of Long Island near Port Washington. Guy will allow us to use his facilities as both wet and dry pit locations. The race will start and end at his facilities, he has a great restaurant there and the awards wil be given out there. Last but not least for sure.....Michael Aronow will again allow us to use Don's name on the race......so it will be the

DON ARONOW MEMORIAL AROUND LONG ISLAND MARATHON.

You know we will need a big trophy just to fit the name on.

As far as the direction of the race, the Coast Guard feels that to start on the ocean side first, it would put too many boats at racing speeds through the narrow part of the course, near Manhattan. So by starting on the Long Island Sound side, north side, and heading for Montauk, we will have more time for the boats to spread out by the time they get back to Manhattan.

I understand the current record is in the 3 hour area. We will also factor in some kind of handicap for fuel stops if they are needed.....maybe do a special class for stoppers if we have enough boats.

Also re the date, if it can be moved we can certainly look into that to make it so more people can enjoy the experience of open ocean water racing. We are only going 262 miles.....look at how happy Don was here, after winning the 539 mile Bahamas 500.

he was cool,, i was the kid that washed and waxed his two yenko camaros, i worked at apeco marina,,

Sean Stinson
12-20-2009, 03:10 PM
you need to start a Offshore CLassic Tour....all the old races today...

Italked about doing that years ago no one really wanted to do it except a select few.....if anyone would like to do this please contact me I am willing to get in on some stuff next year!!!!!!

Team Tsunami
12-21-2009, 01:26 AM
Italked about doing that years ago no one really wanted to do it except a select few.....if anyone would like to do this please contact me I am willing to get in on some stuff next year!!!!!!

Sean, come up here for this event buddy! Maybe well run something!!:D:D

Dan

stainless
12-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Sounds Awesome! I'm in!

Team Tsunami
12-21-2009, 11:25 PM
Sounds Awesome! I'm in!

I was thinking today that you would be a sure win with the amount of fuel you can hold!!!:D

stainless
12-23-2009, 09:35 AM
I was thinking today that you would be a sure win with the amount of fuel you can hold!!!:D

I think Skater made my tanks smaller. :eek:

Big Time
12-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Just curious who from the board is planning on doing this race?

Bodyshot1
01-27-2010, 05:38 PM
..anyone looking for a driver for the LI run..let me know..this sounds like a kick in the azz!

Top Banana
06-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Now that the time is running down to the next open ocean race........we have some more specifics.

The Coast Guard would like us to start the race on the north side of the island...out of LaMotta's Marina and run on the Long Island Sound first.

This strings the boats out so there won't be a bunching of them while they go through the narrowest part of the course....between NYC and Long Island.

Top Banana
08-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Six weeks to go.....let's hear it from the REAL OCEAN RACERS

Get working if you are still rigging and preparing your boat for a great event.

Any boats out there needing experienced ....Drivers....Throttlemen.....Navigators.

There just may be some old goats that did this a while ago and would love one more shot at it with a modern crew.....if so PM me and we will see what we can match up.

DO CATS RULE????

Here is a chance to test the theory.......bring out those cats and hope the deep vees stay at home....or show the world what cats can do, regardless of the water conditions.