PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk drives

BY U BOY
10-11-2008, 12:55 PM
What parts are interchangeable and does anyone still carry them. I found a case for cheap and have been wanting to try one on my Scarab for the longest time.

DonziGirl
10-11-2008, 01:33 PM
I'm not of much help, but I know there's a bunch of guys on Donzi.net that have them. I rode in 2 Blackhawk Donzi's and never again! They definitely give a different feel to the boat.

BY U BOY
10-11-2008, 01:36 PM
did you not feel comfortable or were they just to fast for a 22?

DonziGirl
10-11-2008, 02:18 PM
I didn't feel comfortable in the boat and I've ridden in a LOT of 22's. I'm not the only person that feels that way either. From what I've gathered, you either love them or hate them. Either way, it takes some getting used to. I don't know how they would act in a Scarab though

BY U BOY
10-12-2008, 01:56 PM
what scarab do you have? it needs to have plenty of rcker, they came on the 29 and thats the only one it works on. did you buy the green case from the classifieds? if it doesnt work let me know and I'll buy it from ya, I need a few of them.

21 scarab.it has good natural bow lift so I was thinking it would not be that bad. I didn't buy it yet just thinking about it again. If you need it go ahead and get it.

PARADOX
10-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Black Hawks were a great concept. I think yo can "bolt" them on to a bravo gimble. (not sure anymore, it's been a while since I played with them).
The hawks will give you a lot of stearn lift. We tested them on a Challanger Offshore 32' with a 7+" step, back in 1995. Old Harry's step. (the same step, but modified lately on the AT's) The Hawks will either work well but will viborate the filllings out of your teeth, or you might get lucky and love them.

glassdave
10-14-2008, 06:17 PM
The Blackhawk will bolt to a Bravo gimbal but it isnt so simple. The Blackhhawk needs a lot of rocker and a high X dim to feed the props. That was the demise of an otherwise great drive, most manufacturers would not go through the effort to re tool a mold and limit a boat to only a single choice of drives. On a single it works well with rounded keels like older Cig 20's and the Donzi Classics. If you do decide to give one a try dont be discouraged if it doesnt work right out of the box. They have to be run high enough to keep the bullet just out of the water when running, thats where all the excess stern lift comes from otherwise. All the parts are interchangeable with the Bravo III with the exception of the vertical shaft i believe but i have heard Teague may be making them. I dont, however, think buying an empty case would be a good way to obtain one. You will have a fortune in rounding up all the parts when you can pick them up in the $3500 range.

Donzigirl were the BH Donzi's you rode in factory Blackhawk Donzi's? Just curious because i have had much the opposite experience with them. I went out in 22 BH Classic that was a heck of a boat. actually was the first dual prop boat i had the pleasure of running. Was at the dealer we use to have here in Toledo, i did a bunch of work for them back in the day.

DonziGirl
10-14-2008, 06:24 PM
yes. They were both Blackhawk Donzis. I will say this though, the first time I road with someone with a Blackhawk they had just bought they boat and were still getting the feel of it. I don't know about the second one though...

I've talked to Donzi owners who have had them and it's a love/hate deal. Perhaps if I owned one and spent the time getting used to the feel of it I'd like it more. I don't know. I just know I'm not voluntarily getting in one again any time soon!

ITLLFLI
10-21-2008, 10:54 AM
The "Blackhawk" specific Donzi's had rocker built into the hull which in turn naturally made them flighty under certain driving techniques.

shifter
11-08-2008, 08:46 PM
310 995-1670 Vern is who you need to talk to He has parts and drives. Tell him I told you to call.
pat W

p29steve
11-08-2008, 09:11 PM
blackhawks worked great on my 29 scarab, the p-29 was one of the only boats that it worked well on. i owned this one for 7 years and no drive problems at all.

clpbs.com
11-11-2008, 11:05 AM
All the parts are still available from Merc. If you need help I have the tools to build one.

Velocity Kid
11-27-2008, 10:36 PM
21 scarab.it has good natural bow lift so I was thinking it would not be that bad. I didn't buy it yet just thinking about it again. If you need it go ahead and get it.
A 21 Scarab I would run a Alpha on it hands down.

Madcow
11-27-2008, 11:59 PM
A 21 Scarab I would run a Alpha on it hands down.

Not me, I would go with a shortie bravo. Tougher drive, and brings the X up. One of the problems with a 21 Scarab is the X is too low.