PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Blueprinting

LS1Nova
03-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Hi guys. I would love to get some advise from you guys. I'm getting ready to go ahead and flip the boat on it's side and do one side at a time. I wasn't planning on doing it, but I figure there is no better time then now since I have the motors out, drive off and fuel tank empty.

My plan in to cut down the high spot's till I hit resin, then fill the low's. What do you guys like to use for filler? I was thinking about Marglass or Duraglass.
Then I'm just going to sharpen where the bottom meets the transom, and sharpen/straighten the strakes, then gel that side and flip it over and do the same thing on the other side.

I'm planing on using Gel with Duratec and spraying with a gravity gun. How many coats would you lay down? I was thinking 4.

Thanks for the input fella's!
Frank

glassdave
03-04-2009, 03:03 PM
none of that Marglass or Duraglass. Use 3M's premium vinylester marine filler. Sands great and is suitable for below the water. boatfix.com has the best prices

http://www.boatfix.com/catalog/737.pdf

Its on the top right part# MMM46006 and for some reason the price i think is wrong. I usually pay like $95 a gallon whenever i order from them. Heres another link

http://www.boatfix.com/bykeywordnew2.asp?textfield=MMM46006&texttype=2&submit=Search

Yes the gel and Duratec is also the way to go. 3-4 coats ought to do it, get your coverage than a few more coats for fairing. With the Duratec you can spray with a gravity gun but you will need the biggest tip available, i use a 2.2 on an old DeVilbus gravity feed gun i have and it seems to work ok but think it could be bigger.

LS1Nova
03-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the reply Dave. Do you not like the Marglass because it is so difficult to sand? Or is there another reason?

Frank

Mopower
03-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Frank , you have entirely too much time on your hands:rolleyes:

glassdave
03-05-2009, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the reply Dave. Do you not like the Marglass because it is so difficult to sand? Or is there another reason?

Frank

Its not a very high quality filler and yes its difficult sanding as well, basically just a polyester filler (bondo) with a chopped strand in it. I dont like any poly fillers for any reason on a running surface, just not worth take'in the chance.

3M's premium is some nice stuff :D

Offshore Ginger
03-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Its not a very high quality filler and yes its difficult sanding as well, basically just a polyester filler (bondo) with a chopped strand in it. I dont like any poly fillers for any reason on a running surface, just not worth take'in the chance.

3M's premium is some nice stuff :D I always use a filler made by Ad Tech and have used it for years and just about every boat co i have ever worked at uses it including Skater because it is compatible for use with epoxy and a great product , i also take it one step further and that is to put two layers of a very fine chezze cloth ( finish fabric ) over the filler ( bottom) which helps the filler from cracking and this is something i would always do when i was employed at Skater doing bottoms and still practice today............. good luck! :)

glassdave
03-05-2009, 11:53 AM
you and your cheeeeze cloth . . . . . :D

Offshore Ginger
03-05-2009, 02:32 PM
you and your cheeeeze cloth . . . . . :D Now whats your problem Mr cant break away from your old habits ?:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::biggrinjester:

glassdave
03-05-2009, 03:31 PM
you cant teach an old dog new tricks . . . . all you can do is hit 'em on the nose with a rolled up newspaper an hope they dont do it again :D

It aint easy be'in cheezy is it Arite:D

Offshore Ginger
03-05-2009, 03:57 PM
you cant teach an old dog new tricks . . . . all you can do is hit 'em on the nose with a rolled up newspaper an hope they dont do it again :D

It aint easy be'in cheezy is it Arite:D mind your manners youngster .:rofl::rofl::rofl: