PDA

View Full Version : wobble at 45mph

dykstra
03-03-2009, 10:07 PM
1996 4x4 454 Chevy dually. Rides fine under/over 45 mph. Soon as I hit 45 mph the truck wobbles. I think I need to have the drive shaft balanced. Any thought would appreciated.:seeya:

Expensive Date
03-03-2009, 11:19 PM
When you say wobble I am assuming that you feel the truck and or wheel shake? If it starts at 45 then goes away at a faster speed it is probably a tire more than likely a front.Tire is severely out of balance or has severe uneven wear could even have a broken belt inside tire.Could also be an alignment issue but I doubt it unless drive shaft is bent you have a tire problem

Clustergear
03-05-2009, 01:15 AM
When you say wobble I am assuming that you feel the truck and or wheel shake? If it starts at 45 then goes away at a faster speed it is probably a tire more than likely a front.Tire is severely out of balance or has severe uneven wear could even have a broken belt inside tire.Could also be an alignment issue but I doubt it unless drive shaft is bent you have a tire problem
Like Expensive Date said
45 mph front wheel balance -60 mph rear whell balance. Jack up front wheels stand about 10 feet in front of truck and have someone spin the tire. if belt is broken in tire usally you will see the bad spot every time it comes around. Usally a bad tire in front you feel in the streering wheel and a bad tire in rear you feel in the ass (feels like the seat is giggling under you)

ICBM
03-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Something you may want to look at is the carrier bearing. It is the bearing in the center of the two drive shafts. On my chevy I had play in it, and it caused a vibration at higher speeds. Not sure if you have one, but something to check into.

Wobble
03-05-2009, 05:05 PM
I haven't been 45 for a while:)

dykstra
03-07-2009, 06:23 PM
I haven't been 45 for a while:)

haha The wobble is in the steering wheel.

Ratickle
03-07-2009, 06:49 PM
haha The wobble is in the steering wheel.

Are you sure it's not in his shaft?:sifone:

Chris
03-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Lower ball joints or idler arm. Or overall steering component wear.

Carrier bearings cause vibrations- as do missing driveshaft weights. The faster you go, the worse they get. Same with bad tires.

dykstra
03-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Update. New steering box and stabilizer. Problem solved!!