PDA

View Full Version : Thread about guns

glassdave
03-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Spray guns :biggrinjester: (I'm sure i got a few guy that surf using the "new post" button)

Out of fear that Obama would try and take away my guns to I've decided to purchase a few new ones. :D So . . . . what are all the pro painters using? Chris (Extreme), Harold (Grafixworx), Mitch (T), or anyone in the biz really? what are you using these days. I have to confess old habits die hard with me and i still shoot a GTI and a Plus. Both great guns but the Plus is probably the most inefficient gun on the planet although it does spray nice. I also use an Lex-Air turbine that i love for spot work (really gotta get use to these things before you actually learn to love 'em :D)

who's shoot'in what? :sifone:

Offshore Ginger
03-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Dave , when i worked at Skater Dean Loucks of TAOD was heavy into these German guns and i think still is .:)

glassdave
03-05-2009, 09:06 PM
maybe SATA or Iawata. I think i saw him in an ad for one of those.

Heres a pretty cool thread on Dean. The guys an alien, just flipp'in amazing.

http://www.performanceboats.com/html/forums/blog.php?b=51

Audiofn
03-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Dave I am not kidding you when I tell ya my brother got a gun from Home Depot. The thing laid out light silver metalic (IMO one of the hardest perfect) plus he said it was cheap so when it gets messed up he can just toss it.

glassdave
03-05-2009, 10:24 PM
I dont doubt that one bit Jon, many times it just takes an experienced hand which I'm sure your bro has. I've actually heard some of the knock offs from places like Home Depot and Harbor Freight are actually not to bad. I have my mainstays, the GTI and the Plus and both work well. Does your brother still have the shop?

Offshore Ginger
03-05-2009, 11:18 PM
maybe SATA or Iawata. I think i saw him in an ad for one of those.

http://www.performanceboats.com/html/forums/blog.php?b=51Dave pretty cool stuff . Tim the owner of Bio Kleen was a sponser when i crewed with Cat Can Do and yes Dean is doing very well . :)

Audiofn
03-05-2009, 11:42 PM
Dave we share a shop. Not sure what one you saw the boat at when you came up. The new place we had to move into fast because one day the land lord of the old place decided that he was going to level the building. Good law suite for me!

Trim'd Up
03-07-2009, 10:19 AM
I am not a professional by any means, just picked up enough to get by from my old man. I still have an old Binks 69 that I use for primer, boy that thing makes a cloud in the garage.. A Sata Minijet for small stuff that is awesome for detail work. You cut the fan down damn near to air brush sizes. The main gun I use is a Sata 2000? maybe. They are all hand me downs from the old man, otherwise I would probably be using a harbor freight special.

customtouch
03-10-2009, 09:58 PM
I pretty much use all Sata's. I have an NR-95 with a 1.3 tip that I use for general basing, a Jet-90 with a 1.4 tip as a back-up, a Jet MCB with a 2.0 tip for primer, a Jet-2000 with a 1.4 tip for clear, and a new Jet-3000 RP with a 1.2 tip that I bought just to do fades with. The 3000-RP has incredible atomization and a huge fan pattern. I also have a Mini Jet with a 1.0 tip for little stuff and a Mac Tool mini (which is a replica of the Mini Jet) that I use as a second small gun. I have two Iwata airbrushes and two Paasche's for the really small stuff and a Devilbiss GTI 2.5 gallon pressure pot system for the really big stuff. I even have two of the old Binks Model 7 syphon guns and three other off brand syphons that I use for spray mask or whatever. I am planning on getting another Jet-3000-RP with a 1.4 tip to use as another general base gun. They spray incredibly well and lay down metallic like no other gun I have sprayed. Dave, find out who the Sata rep is in your area and they will let you borrow any of the guns to try out for a couple of weeks.
(That's how they get you hooked). Seriously, I recommend you try a Jet-3000 RP if you are looking for a new gun.

P.S. Obama will have to pry my guns from my cold dead hands!!! Paint Guns too!!:D

David Morgan
Custom Touch Graphics

glassdave
03-10-2009, 10:30 PM
every gun i ever bought i got in just that way. :D

I think i will go check out the Jet-3000 RP. I have the Mini Jet but really dont use it very often i actually use the Lex-Air turbine for the small stuff, works great. My airbrush of choice is a Badger 150k i got twenty years ago and it really works great for this kind of stuff. Been a while since i have looked at any newer stuff because the stuff i have has worked so well over the years, i figure its time. :sifone:

KnotRight
03-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Sata Jet is my work horse.
Good for covering the gallons of bondo I throw at the fenders.

The GTI is nice but sits in the box.

I might as well give the Airbrush to a monkey.
I use it for drop shadows I am no artist.

glassdave
03-11-2009, 12:24 PM
I had to go through a couple different air caps on the GTI till i liked it. Out of the box i swear its the most inefficient gun i have ever had but does spray nice.

I just ordered the Jet 3000 BRP, based on everything i've heard a demo isn't necessary. They got some cool limited edition guns but screw that, wont make it spray any better :D :cool:

anybody use the 3000 BHVLP? I like the extra efficiency but layout sometimes suffers.

KnotRight
03-11-2009, 07:24 PM
I had to go through a couple different air caps on the GTI till i liked it. Out of the box i swear its the most inefficient gun i have ever had but does spray nice.

I just ordered the Jet 3000 BRP, based on everything i've heard a demo isn't necessary. They got some cool limited edition guns but screw that, wont make it spray any better :D :cool:

anybody use the 3000 BHVLP? I like the extra efficiency but layout sometimes suffers.

I agree on the GTI thats why its still in the box.
I bought it as a kit. Seems to spray better with the bigger tip.

I love my old SATA.

Let us know how ya like the 3000.

glassdave
03-11-2009, 07:32 PM
I have an older gun i got in the eighties called an Optima. Its got a Teflon body and its one of the first gravity feed guns. Actually you could put either cup on it, suction or gravity. Sprays great but it was tough getting use to the cup on the top, i just remember thinkin "sweet . . . easy to hit rockers now" :D

Offshoredrillin
03-11-2009, 08:05 PM
I got a great one at advanced auto, had a rattle thing in it to mix the paint, sprayed out perfect, then threw it away...made by krylon :26:

glassdave
03-11-2009, 08:18 PM
I got a whole case of those just for you boat Rob . . . color of cap is contents of can . . :D

Boatcustoms.com
03-11-2009, 09:44 PM
We use mostly Iwata for our guns and airbrush's i have 17 pieces of iwata equipment and 3 devilibis presure pots. and one old GTI. My base gun of choice is the Iwata LPH 400 LVX with 1.3 fluid needle.

Good luck Dave!!

Offshoredrillin
03-11-2009, 10:01 PM
I got a whole case of those just for you boat Rob . . . color of cap is contents of can . . :D
see the way we roll...soon custom touch will be callin people assclowns again :D

glassdave
03-11-2009, 11:03 PM
lets face it dude . . . they never really stoped call'in us that :willy_nilly::driving:

you said Ford engine blue and International white right ? :sifone:

customtouch
03-12-2009, 12:06 AM
I got a great one at advanced auto, had a rattle thing in it to mix the paint, sprayed out perfect, then threw it away...made by krylon :26:

I tried those guns once, but no matter how hard or long I shook it, I couldn't get the damn thing to stop rattling!!!!!:huh::D

Offshoredrillin
03-13-2009, 07:01 AM
lets face it dude . . . they never really stoped call'in us that :willy_nilly::driving:

you said Ford engine blue and International white right ? :sifone:

yup, but i went around the store switching all the caps, boy people will be surprised...kinda like pot luck painting?and now we have a mascot for shirts :D

as for the rattling, throw it in an open flame and then duck, that lil ball hurts when it hits ya, makes a paintball feel like a massage.

Geronimo36
03-13-2009, 10:18 AM
I dont doubt that one bit Jon, many times it just takes an experienced hand which I'm sure your bro has. I've actually heard some of the knock offs from places like Home Depot and Harbor Freight are actually not to bad. I have my mainstays, the GTI and the Plus and both work well. Does your brother still have the shop?

That's pretty cool.

Embarrassed to admit it but I sprayed the deck of my Scarab (two tone) with a Craftsman HVLP Gavity feed gun OUTDOORS at 5 am... Worked perfectly!!!! :)

boatingbent
04-16-2009, 07:45 AM
Thanks for all the great comments about our Sata Guns ...I am the owner of Sata here in South Eastern minnesota any questions you might have about Guns please feel free to ask away or E mailo me at bj@satausa.com
Oh not sure if you are aware or not but SATA does have a line of Airbrushes also ...I also saw a picture of a very dirty Gun above just wanted to let you know we do have a cleaning Facility in our plant where we go thru your old dirty Guns and clean them up with new Packings and Springs......

Oh and BTW I did not become a member of this Forum to sell Guns but it would help ...LOL
I also own a 2005 Nordic Heat

Ratickle
04-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Thanks for all the great comments about our Sata Guns ...I am the owner of Sata here in South Eastern minnesota any questions you might have about Guns please feel free to ask away or E mailo me at bj@satausa.com
Oh not sure if you are aware or not but SATA does have a line of Airbrushes also ...I also saw a picture of a very dirty Gun above just wanted to let you know we do have a cleaning Facility in our plant where we go thru your old dirty Guns and clean them up with new Packings and Springs......

Oh and BTW I did not become a member of this Forum to sell Guns but it would help ...LOL

Welcome aboard, nice boat...

Absolutely
04-16-2009, 12:08 PM

Glad to see ya made it.
Bents a great guy and will answer any questions you have
Yeah its a nice boat but ya didnt mention what motor ya got

glassdave
04-16-2009, 02:05 PM

Hey Bent welcome aboard. I sent ya a pm a while ago on OSO but didnt hear from you. I would like to talk to you on some other guns i am looking at from SATA. I'll shoot ya an email.

boatingbent
04-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Okidokie

klaw
06-08-2009, 02:15 PM
bought a trim gun from Bent a couple years ago to do my drives

Great to deal with

MarylandMark
06-08-2009, 03:58 PM

http://www.performanceboats.com/html/forums/blog.php?b=51

Thanks for the link- great stuff!!

I am the owner of Sata here in South Eastern minnesota any questions you might have about Guns please feel free to ask away or E mailo me at bj@satausa.com

Welcome to the forums!

LittleDcsRodShop
07-04-2009, 12:29 AM
I mainly use a Sata RP with a 1.4 that I have had for years.. Before I got the Sata I used a binks M1G that I really liked the way it sprayed with the exception of the fan pattern adjustability is no were near that of the Sata

Dave how do you like your 3000 you bought ?? I would like to try one sometime myself b/c I love my RP.. However I have to admit that I'm so set in my ways when it comes to this stuff b/c if I have something that works good for me whether it be a piece of equipment, material ect..ect.. it can be hard to get me to try something new..

LittleDcsRodShop
07-04-2009, 12:32 AM
That's pretty cool.

Embarrassed to admit it but I sprayed the deck of my Scarab (two tone) with a Craftsman HVLP Gavity feed gun OUTDOORS at 5 am... Worked perfectly!!!! :)

I am about 99.9% sure that is a gun made by Devilbiss & the same as their finishline series.. I have one that I used to use a long time ago for base & now use it for plastic adhesion promoter.. Its actually a good gun for the $$