PDA

View Full Version : Help finding block drains on bbcs.

fund razor
10-23-2008, 09:27 AM
Got a couple of bbcs with big exhausts.

Feeling around for drain plugs where they would have been on an sbc. (Behind and under engine mounts.)

I am feeling around where I can't see.... am I in the right neighborhood?

Thanks!

ROGUE
10-23-2008, 09:35 AM
On the stbd (even) side of the engine just forward of the starter ( if low). The port side (odd bank) is about the same height, just above the oil pan rail in the middle, aft of the mount. I plumbed mine to a central point and use my oil pump to suck them out, so far so good after 3 years of doing it that way. The pump doesnt seem to mind a little sand at first.

Ted
10-23-2008, 09:52 AM
On the starter side you will find it obstructed somewhat by the dipstick tube also, nice design that. On mine the plugs are longer and cylindrical, I think they are supposed to drain without removing, but they just screw out now.

fund razor
10-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Thanks. I wasn't finding by feeling.

I have a one foot square piece of mirror tile. I think that I may lay it in the bilge and see if I can get a lay of the land that way.

They are being pulled in the next couple of days... but it has been cold and I have been out of town on business until today. I just want to make sure that they are dry and uncracked. :D
Thanks again.

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-23-2008, 10:28 AM
Fund if they are EFI's the knock sensor may be throwing you a curve. The drains will be in the basically the same spot as sbc.

fund razor
10-23-2008, 11:24 AM
Fund if they are EFI's the knock sensor may be throwing you a curve. The drains will be in the basically the same spot as sbc.
Thanks. I am about to go out and explore some more. They are regular carbed and standard ignition system.

Geronimo36
10-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Maybe he/she put some allen plugs in so they're not sticking out. It should be a 9/16" open end....

fund razor
10-23-2008, 02:32 PM
That helps a lot. Thanks everybody.

Buckman_4
11-11-2008, 09:26 PM
If they are dart blocks the plugs are back futher than chevy blocks, the stbd one is almost behine the starter

fund razor
11-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks. They have since been yanked. I just wanted to make sure that I got past that cold snap before they were pulled.

Thanks for the help guys. I am all set.

rockfish71
11-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Here will this help?
http://www-alt.mercurymarine.com/mnetdata/SERVICE/CRUISER/Servmanl/23/23covr1.pdf