PDA

View Full Version : Third world cat

Brownie
03-01-2009, 05:26 PM
This boat was built in our yard in the Phillipines. 40 guys making pennies an hour, no power hand tools, all master carpenters. I have a pic somewhere of them carrying the boat out of the woods by hand to load it for shipping. Took a long time to build, but it was one of the best. Built like a piano. It was owned by Howard Arneson.

Steve 1
03-01-2009, 05:33 PM
I worked on that boat! Once Sammy understood we need the fuel all the way back it started to run. BTW Did a Filipina own Asia Craft? I saw a real hot one down at Cougar looking at the boats back in the day.

Brownie
03-01-2009, 05:42 PM
I dunno

OneBadInjun
03-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Brownie, it sure was built like a piano! The workmanship was incredible. I saw it at the Roostertail in Detroit at(I think) its first race. What a jewel. Almost too nice to race.

MetalBrosRacing
03-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Every run in it gave you a happy ending :)

DollaBill
03-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Every run in it gave you a happy ending :)

Now thats funny!:rofl::rofl:

jcsuk
07-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Does any one know what happened to this arneson cat. As it was so well built did it last ? What a great restoration project if it is still around.

I know the 38 Cougar Kaama is currently being restored which I think was the 2nd or 3rd class 1 wooden cougar.

Does anyone know the whereabouts of the other early class 1 cougars like Yellowdrama / Benihana or Beep Beep or the 41' Satisfaction etc etc.

skrap
07-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Gentlemen,

Here are two photos of the Arneson boat. One is from early on with the large air scoops when Terry Laughlin was the throttleman and the other after Sammy James worked with Steve and Pete. I loved that boat.

John

Dude! Sweet!
07-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Just bought 3 big tiki's for my house and back yard yesterday (two four footers and one five footer)... Guy said they were all made in the Phillipines. Funny thing, this boat was the first thing I thought of when he said that... :)