PDA

View Full Version : Yet another tire replacment question!

Sunsation96
02-27-2009, 09:53 AM
I own a 2004 2500HD that is need of replacement tires, the size that is currently on the truck is: 265-75-16 I am thinking of going to a 285-75-16 but I really don't want to change the shifting of the truck when pulling and harm the fuel milage. The question is do you guy's think this will harm the milage and the towing? Thanks guy's:driving:

Bgchuby01
02-27-2009, 10:36 AM
that is such a small difference I can't see how you would see a change in performance. But it would llook better

Knot 4 Me
02-27-2009, 10:38 AM
DMax, 6.0L or 8.1L? Tons of people run 285's on these trucks. It will drop your mileage a tad along with raising your overall gear ratio. The bigger motors will handle the change better than the 6.0L will. I had 285's on stock rims on my 2004 2500HD Dmax and took them back off as I didn't like the squirly feeling of the tall sidewalls on too narrow of rims. I ran BFG A/T 265's and Bridgestone Revo A/T 265's. I have a buddy with an '05 2500HD Dmax running Toyo 285's and he loves it. You might have to slightly clearance the plastic air dam under the front bumper (assuming Chevy) and tie back the fender liner on the driver's side to prevent rubbing.

Sydwayz
02-27-2009, 10:45 AM
All you need to do is buy a Programmer like the Diablo Predator, and you can change your computer to know how to run/shift with the new tire size, and it will correct your speedometer too.

Sunsation96
02-27-2009, 10:55 AM
DMax, 6.0L or 8.1L? Tons of people run 285's on these trucks. It will drop your mileage a tad along with raising your overall gear ratio. The bigger motors will handle the change better than the 6.0L will. I had 285's on stock rims on my 2004 2500HD Dmax and took them back off as I didn't like the squirly feeling of the tall sidewalls on too narrow of rims. I ran BFG A/T 265's and Bridgestone Revo A/T 265's. I have a buddy with an '05 2500HD Dmax running Toyo 285's and he loves it. You might have to slightly clearance the plastic air dam under the front bumper (assuming Chevy) and tie back the fender liner on the driver's side to prevent rubbing.

I have a 6.0 Thanks for any help you can provide!

Sunsation96
02-27-2009, 10:58 AM
All you need to do is buy a Programmer like the Diablo Predator, and you can change your computer to know how to run/shift with the new tire size, and it will correct your speedometer too.

Thanks for the help Sydwayz, what programmer will work best on the 6.0?
I have used a programmer on it, not my own just loaned to me and according to the computer the fuel economy got better.

Sunsation96
02-27-2009, 10:59 AM
that is such a small difference I can't see how you would see a change in performance. But it would llook better

I totally agree with you thats why I want to do it! I want it to look tough but still tow the way it was made too. And the fact the I need tires.

Sydwayz
02-27-2009, 11:22 AM
I tried the HyperTech Power Programmer III and the Diablo Sport Predator Tuner on my 8.1L. I didn't really do anything to change engine performance. The gasoline engines are not like diesels which are more popular with the programmers. You can "program for 93 octane" which basically just advances the spark and may give you a couple extra ponies, but not worth it in my book.

The BEST thing about the Diablo Sport tuner is it becomes a ODB code reader AND real time engine monitor. I would use the real time monitor almost always when towing to get actual digital values for each of the engine's measured specs; temps, pressures, % open of TPS, % of load on engine; and a bunch of other stuff. I would just leave it in the cupholder while towing, and loved it.

My 8.1L (2500 Avalanche) had exhaust, CAI, bigger/wider wheels/tires, and a few bolt ons probably hurt aerodynamics and fuel mileage. But the Predator Power Tuner did not hurt my mileage. I just used it as a tool to tune the tire size in, and "watch" my engine's status and performance.

OldSchool
02-27-2009, 02:10 PM
I own a 2004 2500HD that is need of replacement tires, the size that is currently on the truck is: 265-75-16 I am thinking of going to a 285-75-16 but I really don't want to change the shifting of the truck when pulling and harm the fuel milage. The question is do you guy's think this will harm the milage and the towing? Thanks guy's:driving:

I have an '05 2500 crewcab Duramax that came with 245 (pizza cutters:sifone:) tires on it. I went to 285's and Weld Wheels. One thing about going to the 285's is that they will rub the inner plastic fender wells when you turn all of the way. Not a big deal and you adjust to it, but the sound that it makes is annoying. Here is a before and after picture for you. I don't have a chip and the difference is ten miles traveled in real distance registers as 9.2 miles on the odometer. The sppedometer is 8% off as well on the low side. Seventy mph on the speedo is actually 77. That's been proven :cool:

These pictures were taken before the front torsion bars were jacked up a little to level it out. That did help, but it didn't eliminate the rubbing.

Sydwayz
02-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Craig's comments are dead on. However, you went to a wider wheel when you went to the Welds right Craig? Probably 8" wide? I do not think that 285s will rub on the stocker 6.5" wide wheels during normal driving.

MattBMiller
02-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Just do it Jonathon! Come check out Bob's truck, he's got 285's on his 2500. Looks good. Might be able to get you a deal on some new rubber too....

Sunsation96
02-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Nice truck Old School, thanks for the help I think i'll go with the 285's

Sunsation96
02-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Craig's comments are dead on. However, you went to a wider wheel when you went to the Welds right Craig? Probably 8" wide? I do not think that 285s will rub on the stocker 6.5" wide wheels during normal driving.

Thanks Sydwayz, I have used a superchips for a weekend on it and liked the redults, bad news is I had to give it back to the owner:(But trying to find the best deal on one.

Sunsation96
02-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Just do it Jonathon! Come check out Bob's truck, he's got 285's on his 2500. Looks good. Might be able to get you a deal on some new rubber too....

Thanks for the offer Matt, I might take you up on that. I have the Toyo's and I am very happy with the ride the snow performance and how they have worn, not one bad thing to say.

Knot 4 Me
02-27-2009, 05:05 PM
All you need to do is buy a Programmer like the Diablo Predator, and you can change your computer to know how to run/shift with the new tire size, and it will correct your speedometer too.Yup, I ran the Predator with my DMax. Best $300 I ever spent.

Knot 4 Me
02-27-2009, 05:07 PM
I have an '05 2500 crewcab Duramax that came with 245 (pizza cutters:sifone:) tires on it. I went to 285's and Weld Wheels. One thing about going to the 285's is that they will rub the inner plastic fender wells when you turn all of the way. Not a big deal and you adjust to it, but the sound that it makes is annoying. Here is a before and after picture for you. I don't have a chip and the difference is ten miles traveled in real distance registers as 9.2 miles on the odometer. The sppedometer is 8% off as well on the low side. Seventy mph on the speedo is actually 77. That's been proven :cool:

These pictures were taken before the front torsion bars were jacked up a little to level it out. That did help, but it didn't eliminate the rubbing.With my torsion bars turned up 5 turns and 285's, I had to trim that grey plastic air damn under my front bumper as the tire hit it. I also had to zip-tie the inner fender where the parking brake cable pushes it out. Both easy fixes.

OldSchool
02-28-2009, 05:00 PM

Correct Brian. They are 8" wheels. Me and my buddy Tantra did trim the piece that runs under the front bumper. It rubs on the back side, basically right in front of the driver when turning to the left. Is that where this emergency brake zip-tie fix could be used? That would make my month!!!!!:sifone::26:

Sunsation96
03-02-2009, 09:34 AM
I have heard on the stock rims not to put the 285 due to the tire being so much larger than the rim (width) It will cause the tire to bow out and cause un even wear on the tire. So I went with the 265 again, stock is a 245 so it looks great. And today I pick up the programmer. I would like to say thanks to all! with all your input.

MattBMiller
03-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Sally!

Sunsation96
03-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Sally!

I knew it was coming, I knew it. But on a good note I pick up a programmer for free tonight from my Aunt:26:

OldSchool
03-02-2009, 10:11 AM
I have heard on the stock rims not to put the 285 due to the tire being so much larger than the rim (width) It will cause the tire to bow out and cause un even wear on the tire. So I went with the 265 again, stock is a 245 so it looks great. And today I pick up the programmer. I would like to say thanks to all! with all your input.

Smart move! If I didn't go with wider wheels, the 265's would have been on mine.

Knot 4 Me
03-04-2009, 11:24 AM
I have heard on the stock rims not to put the 285 due to the tire being so much larger than the rim (width) It will cause the tire to bow out and cause un even wear on the tire. So I went with the 265 again, stock is a 245 so it looks great. And today I pick up the programmer. I would like to say thanks to all! with all your input.I did not like the feel of my truck on 285's so I took them off and went back to 265's. It always felt to me as the truck was laying over on the sidewalls in turns.

Sunsation96
03-04-2009, 11:50 AM
I did not like the feel of my truck on 285's so I took them off and went back to 265's. It always felt to me as the truck was laying over on the sidewalls in turns.

I really was worried of changing the shift points when towing and going uphill. But good to hear that you guy's agree with my choice. Again thanks for all your help!