PDA

View Full Version : ScarabIII X dimension

glassdave
02-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Anybody ever try moving up the X dim on early ScarabIII's? I have an 89 and am getting ready to re cut the holes after putting a new transom in it and was thinking of moving it up an inch or two. Any thoughts?

jhenrie
02-25-2009, 08:41 PM
Re doing the scarab? Pics? Sorry , can't help on the x dim. I know I'm worthless

old377guy
02-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Dave, that seems like a good idea; I've heard that the TRS drive tended to be buried a bit by the factory. I thought there was a thread a awhile back (propeller section on OSO) about how far to move the drive up and what props to use subsequently. Best of luck to you. - Jeff

glassdave
02-25-2009, 11:01 PM
Re doing the scarab? Pics? Sorry , can't help on the x dim. I know I'm worthless

Pics to come . . . . :sifone:

glassdave
02-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Dave, that seems like a good idea; I've heard that the TRS drive tended to be buried a bit by the factory. I thought there was a thread a awhile back (propeller section on OSO) about how far to move the drive up and what props to use subsequently. Best of luck to you. - Jeff

Mine is a Bravo boat, i was actually thinking of doing a swap to Volvo DPX's at one time but decided not to in the end. I would like to move this one at some point in the next few years for a 38 Excel Scarab or something. Hell at some point i'll probably dump them all in favor of a 400 SeaRay and a 27 Magnum :D. At any rate i really do like this boat, its kinda my Griswold family truckster for the water. Way more comfy than the Donzi believe it or not. Yes i think the factory X dim is pretty deep and could use to shed a couple of inches. Hoping to find someone that has tried it. Thanks

Ratickle
02-25-2009, 11:08 PM
I'd call Merc Performance. They usually know if you can get ahold of the right Tech.

The other try would be the factory, they may be useful if the hull was ever offered with one of the short drives as an option.

MOBILEMERCMAN
02-26-2009, 12:52 AM
Pics to come . . . . :sifone:

Dave , I have not tried anything on that boat, but if it is a late '80's boat it is likely it is dragging the entire cav plate through the water. I would measure it so that you raise it to where the plate is clear and the tip of the prop is touching the surface. I think with it being heavy forward a full blade of bite is necessary and if it is going about 55-60 raising it more wont do any good. IMO

glassdave
02-26-2009, 01:08 AM
Thanks Jim, that makes sense to me. It is an 89 and yes they seem pretty deep to me. I will measure it and see where the cav plate is, bringing that out of the water has got to help. Right now the boat with the stock 365 Mags hits 60 right on the dot. I warmed up the motors a bit and figured i'de try to squeeze a bit out of the X dim as well. I'm not really looking to get to crazy with this perticular boat but figured as long as i had it apart what the heck.

SCARAB3DMC
02-26-2009, 07:55 AM
I'm not saying nothin... Whats up Dave?

glassdave
02-26-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm not saying nothin... Whats up Dave?

probably my X dim :D

How's it going, still doing any work here in Toledo?

BradB
02-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Right now the boat with the stock 365 Mags hits 60 right on the dot. I warmed up the motors a bit

What motors???:biggrinjester:

SCARAB3DMC
02-26-2009, 04:11 PM
probably my X dim :D

How's it going, still doing any work here in Toledo?

yup..all the time..Perrysburg and Waterville yesterday..:sifone: