PDA

View Full Version : 496 ho whipple question

profile30
02-19-2009, 06:53 PM
hi all i have a 98 profile 299 with a 03 496 ho with about 250 hrs. the boat weights 5000 lbs, 6.5 X dim. , the runs 60-62 right now. just wondering how much a whipple would help? what all would i need to do over and above the SC? do i need any extra work done to the motor? i know u have to have the ECM recal. is there someone cheaper than whipple for that? i am purchasing the SC from CP prefomance. any input is greatly appreciated.. mike

VetteLT193
02-19-2009, 07:34 PM
I like procharger for longevity. the boost builds later, keeps the cylinder pressures down at lower RPM.

whipple tends to really shorten the life of things, not so much with procharger.

boot-e-licious
02-19-2009, 10:17 PM
my other boat(**which is for sale**) is a 1992 24' baja outlaw with a 07 496 ho mag with a 5lb boost whipple. raised the stock x-dim up 3 three inches, added 12 " imco set back, xr uper, sportmaster 1 " shorty,30 labbed bravo 1, had dustin at whipple, supply all equipment, including re-flashing computer. it is very reliable, very stable, and runs 86 mph on gps with full tank and 4 passengers. whipple has got this to a science with this set-up.
but this is my experience. good luck.

Lakeside
02-20-2009, 11:45 AM
I like procharger for longevity. the boost builds later, keeps the cylinder pressures down at lower RPM.

whipple tends to really shorten the life of things, not so much with procharger.

Actually more like the other way around on the 496 platform.. The Whipple has a larger intercooler, has the proper sensors for fuel & spark delivery AND the ecm is programmed to properly run the unit.. The procharger may work but is not even a close comparison on that engine. You would need to add all of the sensors & fuel system upgrades after the fact along with reprogramming the ecm to run 5-6psi of boost like the whipple on that unit.

Dont get me wrong it isnt that procharger doenst have any good items or that they dont work well on any other applications. They do have some good stuff & they do work well on some other applications. I am just not fond of using it on the later model stuff as it is not up to speed with the newer units like Whipple's kits.

Now the thing about applying boost more evenly and gradually with a procharger over a whipple is somewhat true. They do build the boost slower & more gradually, so this can aid in drive life. However if you are a carfeul & easy driver there is really not much to fear on either side of the boost fence.. Drive like you stole it and you are likely to go thru drives no matter whos power upgrade you did. ;)

I personally run the Whipple on my own 496 Mag Ho in my Donzi. I also have one of our Larger heat exchangers on it and an auxlillary oil cooler to keep it all happier. I have been quite pleased with it all to date and I am going into my 3rd season on it. If any of you are interested in going whipple on this stuff feel free to give me a shout. We are do sales & installs on them as well as many other things..

Also one other word of caution if any of you are adding more power. Always keep in the back of your head that you will need to reprop, and you may need to upgrade your steering and tabs/planes. Beyond that your oem exhaust may or may not be adequate depending on how much power 7 boost you are going for.. These items are often overlooked and forgotten about and can also add up..

Hope this helps.. :) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations

torrent
02-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Profile 30
Did you buy the whipple yet? Just take the plunge, as you know from me its never ending once you start. Misery likes company. We can fix are drives together. LOL

profile30
02-25-2009, 01:28 PM
why u got to be like that? torrent. ready to go fishin yet? lol

torrent
02-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Not yet still have ice where water should be. As soon as the ice disappears we can get the fishing poles and the planer boards out.